You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Working out your VPIP

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Seem to be hearing a lot about this lately and how some players are working out that they should be ranging from 20-25%, any higher and they're playing to many hands.

Based six max and assuming we are discounting the blinds, how do we work out what VPIP% on Sky.  The current stats on the game info tab are pretty vague and don't seem even pick up 3bet%'s.

Have reset my stats, reduced my opening range therefore playing a lot less hands. The stats still have me folding pre at 51%. I take it this is still far to loose or am i totally missing the point?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Mac

Comments

• edited August 2011

Not sure how accurate sky stats are. If you are playing 49% of hands thats too much for 6max. VPIP will vary with playing style, also I wouldnt focus too much on trying to hit a specific figure

Without going into maths of the whole thing too much, post your opening range and calling/raising a raise pre range and people can say if they think its too wide (Obv ranges should vary by situation and position, but it might give you a rough idea). Also posting level you are playing would prob help

EDIT: you culd also stick your range into pokerstove. From what you say above it sounds like your calling range may be too wide

• edited August 2011
    I'd basically pay no attention to the stats Sky give you, i've found they're often incorrect and hard to believe!
    I'm probably going to embarrass myself here, but i'm pretty sure all you have to do is know how many hands have been dealt to you whilst at that table, divided by the amount of hands you've been involved in, i.e. calling/raising! e.g. you've been at a table for 500 hands, and you've called/raised 100 of them hands, your VPIP will be 20%! I'm sure you already knew that lol .. but like grantorino said, your level is quite important, what kind of player you are etc ... 

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Working out your VPIP:
    I'd basically pay no attention to the stats Sky give you, i've found they're often incorrect and hard to believe! I'm probably going to embarrass myself here, but i'm pretty sure all you have to do is know how many hands have been dealt to you whilst at that table, divided by the amount of hands you've been involved in, i.e. calling/raising! e.g. you've been at a table for 500 hands, and you've called/raised 100 of them hands, your VPIP will be 20%!
    Posted by percival09
    Yeah this would do the trick, once you dont count checking your BB. I would think 100 is waaay too small a sample , more like 10000 from what I read (1000 woulkd prob give reasonable idea imo though)
  • edited August 2011
    what i did macacan was to play another site for 14 days solid with holdem manager (14 day free trial) . ob play as many tables as you feel comfortable with as much as you can to get a rough idea of where you are at. like grantorino states 10000 hands is ideal but something tells me you aint doing that in 14 days!!!  .saying that just done a few calculations  and you can!                                                                                                                                                                            
  • edited August 2011
    Cheers guys

Not sure about posting my range, but will give pokerstove a try. Currently, hovering between 4nl & 10nl and i'm normally playing 2-4 tables .

Not really paid to much attention to stats in the past, but just trying to sus out what VPIP is and how it works. Based on the %'s that some players are stating to have, i'm playing a bit to spewy, spesh at 4nl. Had a quick check last night, based on 500 hands and taking the blinds out i'm around the 35% mark, this is probably due my game at 4nl which is different at 10nl.

Not sure if that makes sense, but thanks for the help guys.

Mac
  • edited August 2011
    you only discount the BB if you check it in. any money you voluntarily contribute to the pot (i.e you click the call or raise button) counts towards this. i think anywhere between 15-25 is 'good' for a beginner-intermediate player. generally you should start tighter and loosen up when you become more confident postflop & with hand reading
  • edited August 2011
    Hi all - As a Full Tilt Refugee I'm new here .... :-)

I would say here that *just* concentrating on VPIP is not the best approach. You need to understand the context of your VPIP value. It is affected by the type of game you play, for example. Your stats at 6-max, full ring and HU are going to be very different. Also, VPIP needs to be considered against PFR too so you understand not only how many hands you play but also how you are playing them - having a VPIP of 18% is [generally] reasonable but your style *may* be questionable if you have an accompanying PFR stat of 1% as it tends to suggest tight but far too passive play with too much calling.

And, as already stated, sample size has a massive bearing on how you use and interpret VPIP as a value. I would agree about using 'stove too. Stick some percentages in there and see how it maps to real ranges. You may be surprised. I was ....

cheers,
    pete (still trying to get VPIP down ... )