You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

coaching poker

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

Not sure if this should be in the stratagey section or here, basically what it is i have been playing poker with gfamily and old friends for a number of years now, As a result ive picked up most of the game and done reasonable in most times i play. However as ive got older (still only 19) and wiser ive made new friends who are new to the game. Which means ive taken on a teaching role without really knowing the entire game myself.

As a result the coaching gos to my head alot and i often think im better than i am, when really i need to be under the wing of a far more experianced player to touch up on the rest of my game. I was woundering if anyone would be able to assist me with this, as i find myself an expert at holding on for a better finishing position, but i struggle to play on an aggressive table.

Thanks,

Don

Comments

• edited October 2009
    On an aggressive table towards the end of the tournament, you will often find, that the "aggressive" players, only bet if they are the 1st to put the bet in. If you have shown you are a tight player, then just put the odd 3x raise in when the action is folded to you. They SHOULD respect this, and remember if they DO call they are only going to hit the flop 1 in 3 on average so if you hit, play it strong and if ur short stacked dont be afraid to put your whole stack in.

Mixing it up is the key in poker... If you are a tight player then genrally a raise makes everyone fold, but if you mix in the odd raise with air they may start to get suspious, so when the big AA, and KK comes flying over to you and you pump it up, and much more likely to be called.

Remember, just because the blins have gone up, doesn't mean the cards are going to be higher, if before you were limping with suited connectors/small pairs, start to raise with them, limping will only be re-raised and you will have to fold.

Good Luck

P.S try to get your chips BEFORE you are near the bubble, I.E 10 paid and there are 20 left, it will start to tighten up, so get busy there before the binds go up too much
  • edited October 2009
    thanks FlashFlush. I have noticed in the past when ive hit my "monster" hand and raised everyone else has folded.
  • edited October 2009
    I am also classed as a tight player and have min raised with the monster hands and everyone has folded to me.
    I do still min raise with the monster hands and when I do get called I am always in a great position to win the hand.
    It doesn't alway win but that is poker. If the monster hands won all the time it would be a very boring game.
  • edited October 2009
    thats very true Apollo.

Its thw down side i think to being a "tight" player is everyone fears you when you do make a move. On another wedsite i done 2x min raise with 7,2 and picked up the blinds, just taking advantage of the situation. I hadnt had a hand for around 15 minutes at that point so i can understand the fear