You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (13th/14th)

edited August 2011 in Betting Chat
Not a good start to the betting season last weekend but then again it is the opening weeks & they're very difficult to call most of the time.
However that hasn't stopped me having another go this weekend & with the exception of the Spurs/Everton game we've a full programme of fixtures to choose from. I've gone for 3 different bets for tomorrow.
Main Acca:
Liverpool to beat Sunderland (H) @ 1/2Chesterfield to beat Stevenage (H) @ 6/5Bristol Rovers to beat Torquay (H) @ 9/10Dundee to beat Ayr (H) @ 4/9
These 4 return a very tasty 8/1
Liverpool have had a busy summer & completed their 5th major signing today with a £6 million swoop for JoseEnrique from Newcastle. In addition to that they've also spent the best part of £50 million this summer bringing in Stewart Downing, Alexander Doni, Charlie Adam & Jordan Henderson. With Suarez & Carroll leading the line for them they should really clinch a top 4 spot at the very least this term. Sunderland have also spent a fair amount this summer too bringing in 9 new faces. The most notable signings are John O'Shea & Wes Brown coming in from Utd whilst they also won the race for Connor Wickham from Ipswich for £8 million. Despite all that it'll be mid table at best for Sunderland imo. Expectations are high at Anfield this term & they should get off to a flyer at home. Sunderland's biggest problem will be goals. They're looking very lightweight up front & they could really do with another poacher sooner rather than later.Chesterfield at home is a big price. Their record at the B2Net stadium last season was a major factor in their league 2 title winning campaign & despite losing their opening game at Tranmere last weekend they should get their first points here. Stevenage won't be an easy game but their biggest problem is scoring goals, particularly on the road. They managed a point at home to Exeter in their first game at this level last weekend but I can't see them adding to that tomorrow. Bristol Rovers got off to a good start last weekend with a win at newly promoted AFC Wimbledon in what was always going to be a difficult game for them. Paul Buckle left Torquay to take charge of Rovers in the summer & he also took Scott Bevan & Chris Zebroski with him. Torquay had to come from 0-2 down at home to Burton last weekend to secure a point on the opening day of the season & I can't see them coming away from the Memorial stadium with anything. Torquay also lost 4-1 at Southampton in the Carling cup in midweek whilst Rovers' match against Watford was called off so they'll be the fresher of the two sides (not that it should really make that much difference at this stage of the season).Dundee would've missed out on promotion by just one point last season had it not been for their 25 point deduction but they're without doubt one of the favourites to make it this time round. They got off to a good start last week with a 0-1 win at Partick. They were unbeaten at home last season & they should continue that record against newly promoted Ayr United who, despite promotion, actually lost half of their games on the road last season.
Both to score acca:
QPR/Bolton @ 10/11Wigan/Norwich @ 4/5Newcastle/Arsenal @ 8/11Pompey/Brighton @ 4/5Leeds/Boro @ 4/6Scunthorpe/Preston @ 4/6
These 6 pay a very healthy 29/1 so well worth a punt.
Had QPR been playing at the Reebok I would've avoided this game but at Loftus Road it'll be a different story. Make no mistake, Rangers are gonna be fired up for this & with Taarabt staying & a new front line of DJCampbell & Jay Bothroyd wanting to impress they've got goals in them. Despite their less than impressive away form last year (2 wins in 19) Bolton won't be easy. They've lost Elmander this summer but they've still got goals in them in the shape of Kevin Davies, Ivan Klasnic & Robbie Blake not to mention new signing Chris Eagles.Wigan certainly won't want a repeat of last season's opener at home to new boys Blackpool where they went down 0-4. To be honest, I expect them to take the points here but both sides are capable of scoring so the 4/5 on offer here makes it worthy of inclusion. Wigan will be looking to Hugo Rodallega for goals whilst Norwich have Grant Holt & Chris Martin as their main goal threats. Who can forget last seasons 4-4 draw at St James when Arsenal visited. Arsenal will be without Nasri & Fabregaswho both look as though they've played their last game for the club, but they do have goals in them in the shape of Robin Van Persie & new boy Gervinho. Newcastle have had an interesting summer to say the least. Kevin Nolan thought he'd be better off dropping down a division whilst Joey Barton has been told he can leave for nothing & all on top of all that there's no sign of a real replacement for Andy Carroll. Having said that theyare at home & they do have goals in them & the one area Arsenal have failed to improve this summer is their back line. We probably won't see another 4-4 but there should be goals here.It's a South coast derby at Fratton Park & I'm fully expecting goals here (cue the 0-0 draw now!). Portsmouth will want to get their first win of the season after last weekend's 2-2 draw at Boro whilst Brighton will be looking to continue where they left off last week after their 2-1 win at home to Donny.Last season Leeds conceded almost as many goals as they scored & so far it looks as though this term isgonna be more of the same. They shipped 3 at Southampton last weekend & another 2 at home to Bradford in the cup in midweek. In their last 10 meetings Leeds have only failed to score once & have also only kept one clean sheet too. Boro have goals in them having scored 5 so far in the league & cup this term with 4 of those coming from Marvin Emnes. This game finished all square last term & I wouldn't be too surprised to see more of the same tomorrow.Scunthorpe & Preston are both looking to make an immediate return to the Championship & both are just as likely to concede as they are score. The two games between them last season saw them share 8 goals & they both got on the scoresheet last weekend in their opening games. 
To score 2+ goals acca:
Liverpool @ 4/6West Ham @ 10/11Ipswich @ 11/10Colchester @ evensCrawley @ 1/2Darlington @ 4/7Dundee @ 4/7
These 7 potentially return a big 49/1 so well worth a small dabble.
I thought I'd try something different this week & this looked like a decent shout. The good thing with this bet is like the both to score market, the actual result doesn't matter as long as they all score at least 2 goals. 
I've yet to decide on my £10 challenge pick this week but I'll post it in the relevant thread tomorrow morning.
Good luck if you're having a go this weekend
Jay

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I've decided to go with the Newcastle/Arsenal both to score pick for the £10 challenge this week although it was at slightly worse odds elsewhere.

• edited August 2011
    75 million different footy threads is no good, this is the best 1 every week and often gets lost.

Wonder if there's a case for giving silentbob his own sticky thread at the top which he can update every week? 

either way, good work Jay, and excellent use of adjectives as ever.

Got a sneaky feeling Sunderland might get a result at Anfield though. If I could watch any game this weekend it would be that 1.

GL !

My bet is...

Sheff Utd
    Ipswich
    Birmingham
    Leicester

Any pays 11/1
  • edited August 2011
    I've been inspired by your different style of accy's and not just win/loss, so along with a few other bets I've done this is my Silentbob syleeeee bet.

Inverness vs Rangers                  Rangers           @ 2/5
    Newcastle  vs Arsenal                   Both to score @ 8/13
    Leeds       vs Middlesborough       Both to score  @ 8/13
    Sheff Utd  vs Brentford                 Sheff Utd         @ 21/20
    Crawley Town vs Macclesfield         Crawley Town @ 4/9
    Notts County  vs Charlton             Both to score  @ 8/11

Total 27/1
    (I think)
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (13th/14th):
    75 million different footy threads is no good, this is the best 1 every week and often gets lost. Wonder if there's a case for giving silentbob his own sticky thread at the top which he can update every week?  either way, good work Jay, and excellent use of adjectives as ever. Got a sneaky feeling Sunderland might get a result at Anfield though. If I could watch any game this weekend it would be that 1. GL ! My bet is... Sheff Utd Ipswich Birmingham Leicester Any pays 11/1
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not having a punt on Donny this week then ;)
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (13th/14th) : Not having a punt on Donny this week then ;)
    Posted by silentbob
    We have 13 fit players!!!

And no strikers.......

You should have your bankroll on WHU !
  • edited August 2011
    GOING FOR

WEST HAM 10/11
    IPSWICH 10/11
    COLCHESTER 5/6
    SHEFF UTD 11/10
    BRISTOL ROVERS 5/6

PAYS 25/1
  • edited August 2011
    had a go at the first goal scorers too just for fun

Doncaster v West HamKevin Nolan @ 6/1Blackpool v PeterboroughKevin Phillips @ 5/1Leicester v ReadingDavid Nugent @ 5/1West Brom v Man UtdWayne Rooney @ 4/1

Good start with nolan scoring first for West Ham
  • edited August 2011
    I had 3 bets a few weeks ago on todays games

£20 on Villa to win at 5/2 - Lost

£10 on liverpool to draw at 4/1  - Won

£200 on Chelsea to bt Stoke at 3/4 - (might lay some of that off or wait until half time or Chelsea go ahead and then lay it off)
  • edited August 2011
    Does anyone know if there are any sites still doing thhandicap betting for the season?

I,m after backing Sunderland
  • edited August 2011
    Does anyone know if there are any sites still doing thhandicap betting for the season? I,m after backing Sunderland
    Posted by MP33
    I thought handicap betting was a standard market tbh. It's certainly still listed on Sky's markets & it's on 365 too
  • edited August 2011
    A total disaster today. I can't remember the last time I got all of my picks for my main acca wrong :( It's not looking good for my £10 challenge bet either at the moment.

Anyhow, on to tomorrow & I've gone for a cheeky little 4 way

Chelsea to beat Stoke (A) @ 4/6
    West Brom/Man Utd - Over 2.5 goals @ 8/11
    Blackpool/Peterborough - Both to score @ 8/13
    Cardiff to beat Bristol City (H) @ 8/13

These 4 pay a very respectable 13/2.

Chelsea certainly won't be in for an easy ride at the Britannia tomorrow but they'll want to make sure they get their campaign up & running at the first attempt. With games against West Brom, Norwich & Sunderland coming after this one they'll be looking to have maximum points on the board before their trip to Old Trafford on 18th September. FWIW, they've done well in pre season winning all 6 of their games & I think we'll start to see the real Torres again this season too. Stoke do have a slight advantage in that they've already played 2 competitive games this season in the Europa league, winning both legs 1-0 against Croatia's Hadjuk Split. The 1-1 draw at the Britannia in April was the first point Stoke had taken against Chelsea in 6 attempts although they've always given Chelsea a run for their money (with the one exception coming in April 2010 when they lost 7-0 at the bridge).
    There are two reasons why I've backed the overs market for tomorrows game at the Hawthorns. Firstly the last 7 league & cup meetings between these two have produced at least 3 goals in the game. Secondly West Brom have improved under Roy Hodgson. They managed a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford last season & only narrowly lost the return game 2-1. Both sides have got goals in them & whilst Utd are more likely to score the majority it'd be silly to write off West Brom getting at least one at home.
    Blackpool & Peterborough conceded goals at an alarming rate last season with over 150 league goals conceded between them. On the flip side they both scored plenty too. In fact, Blackpool only scored 5 goals less than Man City last term & Peterborough notched over 100 league goals!. Blackpool have started the season with 2 clean sheets but Peterborough appear to have picked up where the left off last term having scored 6 & conceded 4. This should be an open game with two sides who like to attack. I think Blackpool are more likely to take the points but this had more appeal.
    Unfortunately for my boys Cardiff got off to a perfect start last weekend with a 1-0 win at Upton Park. TBF I thought we were the better side but that doesn't get you any points if you're not gonna put away your chances. Cardiff will fancy their chances in the severnside derby & at home you'd be brave to bet against them. City got off to a terrible start last week going down 3-0 at home to Ipswich. They don't have a good record in this fixture either, particularly in Cardiff. You have to go back to December 2002 for the last time they won in Cardiff when both sides were in League 1. They've only picked up one point from their last 5 visits & I think it's highly likely that'll be one from their last 6 after tomorrow.

• edited August 2011
    had a go at the first goal scorers too just for fun Doncaster v West Ham Kevin Nolan @ 6/1 Blackpool v Peterborough Kevin Phillips @ 5/1 Leicester v Reading David Nugent @ 5/1 West Brom v Man Utd Wayne Rooney @ 4/1 Good start with nolan scoring first for West Ham
    Posted by pkr123
    3 out of 4, not bad result, considering other bets went down the drain
  • edited August 2011
    FU CHELSEA!!!!

I'm praying there's no more goals at the Hawthorns just to make me feel a little better but I can't see it somehow :(
  • edited August 2011
    FU CHELSEA!!!! I'm praying there's no more goals at the Hawthorns just to make me feel a little better but I can't see it somehow :(
    Posted by silentbob

+1 - Had a £200 single - Biggest loss of the year so far

As for the handicap betting I,ve had 15 on Sunderland but only got 8/1