You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Big Slick revealed.

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
       I have noticed during my times playing STT's that people are auto shoving or auto caliing all-ins with big slick. I have done so myself. Whenever it fails to hold up they(and me) cant believe it. I then decided to do some research to find out the odds on the big slick winning in all situations.  The figures are not as impressive as most people would want to believe.

AK vs pocket pair    45%     slight underdog
   AK vs A 10 ( or other dominated hand )   71%  just over 2 to 1 fave
   AK vs suited connectors   58%  slight fave
   AK vs unsuited connectors  62%   nearly 2 to 1 fave
   AK vs 7 2 (or any unconnected lower cards)  68%   just over 2 to 1 fave

And you do not want to know the odds if you run into AA or KK.  The AK is a superb hand and plays really well against lower pairs and inferior aces. But just remember that the worst starting hand in poker will beat it 1 time in 3. This will probably not stop me or anyone else shoving with it but now you might realise why it loses as often as it does.

Good hunting out there

Talon

Comments

• edited October 2009
    And long may people keep shoving with it!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2009
    The term "fold equity" is key here.
    The reason that people shove with it is that there are only two hands that it plays badly against (and even against KK it isn't horrible) and a lot of people will fold smaller pairs (rightly) if someone really puts them to the test.
    Therefore, it isn't just important to note the odds of it winning if it is called but also to note how many pots it wins when the opponent folds.

Incidentally, AKs against 22 is almost exactly 50/50 so it is rather better even in a showdown than you are giving it credit for.
  • edited October 2009
    It's also the amount of people that will call right down to the river with it, Some people just can't let go and will go to the river with ace high.

This is especially true at lower levels.
  • edited October 2009
    I realise there are all the other issues involved with it. And the fold equity one is very important. My main theme in the piece is that AK is not anywhere near as unbeatable as most people believe. As soon as they see AK they will go all the way with it through all the streets sometimes without hitting and believe they can not possibly lose. All i am trying to say is that it is a good hand but not invincible. And yes i will keep shoving with it despite realising its true weakness
  • edited October 2009
    its more of a hand to see a flop with imo,i dont often call an all-in but could shove myself.