You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Midweek footy betting (16th/17th)

edited August 2011 in Betting Chat
Not a good betting weekend for me although it would've all been good had Chelsea managed to find a winner. Never mind though, that's the pitfalls of betting & so we move on to the next round of matches.

There's a full programme of football league games on Tuesday & Wednesday evening (mainly Tuesday) & despite there being some tough calls in there I think (hope!) I've managed to find a nice little earner to get me up & running for the season.

Midweek Acca:

Huddersfield to beat Hartlepool (A) @ 11/10
Rochdale/Carlisle - Both to score @ 4/5
Sheff Utd to beat Walsall (H) @ 4/6
Leicester to beat Bristol City (H) @ 8/15 (playing Wednesday)

These 4 pay a very attractive 17/2 so it's not to be sniffed at.

Like last season Huddersfield have got off to a pretty slow start this term drawing both their league games at home to Bury & away to Rochdale. It was a sluggish performance at home to Bury but they nearly got away with sneaking all 3 points whilst they were unlucky to come away from Spotland with only a single point at the weekend. Sandwiched between these 2 games they put 4 past Port Vale on the road in the league cup. The 11/10 on offer for a Terriers win here is a massive price. They're gonna claim their first league win of the season sooner or later & this game is a prime candidate for it. Other than a couple of long term absentees, Lee Clark has a near fully fit squad to choose from with a few others pushing for a return to the squad too. It's not all good news in the Hartlepool camp though. They've been hit with injuries & suspensions & pretty much have no midfielders so it's gonna be a bit of a mix & match line up for Mick Wadsworth. Like their opponents, Hartlepool have also drawn both their opening league games so far away at MK Dons & then at home to Walsall on Saturday (thanks to a somewhat lucky equaliser). Huddersfield have won 3 of the last 4 meetings including their last 2 trips to Victoria Park. It won't be a stroll in the park but this price simply cannot be ignored.
Rochdale & Carlisle have already shown that they're just a likely to concede goals as score them this season. With a combined total of 4 scored & 7 conceded in their 2 league games  & a total of 7 for & against in their respective league cup games this looks a very attractive proposition. What makes this bet look even better is the fact that both sides have scored in 4 of the last 5 meetings as well including a 5 goal thriller at Spotland in April. Now I've said all of this I kinda expect to see a boring 0-0!
Like their city rivals, there's big pressure on Danny Wilson to get Sheffield Utd back to the Championship at the first attempt & it's a case of so far, so good. They've won both of their opening league fixtures 2-0 (away to Oldham & home to Brentford) & they should make it 3 out of 3 at home to Walsall. The Saddlers have made a fairly decent start themselves too with an opening day win at home to Leyton Orient & a draw at Hartlepool at the weekend. However they are vulnerable on the road & I really can't see them getting much joy at Bramall Lane. 
I don't usually spread my acca's over two days but with so many games that are too close to call Leicester looked ripe for inclusion. Along with my boys they're favourites for the Championship & will be looking to get back on track after Saturdays 2-0 defeat at home to Reading. As it is they probably couldn't have picked a better game than this one. Like last season Bristol City have got off to a terrible start losing both their opening games & conceding 6 goals in the process. The last thing Keith Millen needs right now is to take his strugglers to a Leicester side who'll be hurting from a weekend defeat. Leicester won this fixture 2-1 back in February & I fully expect them to do the same with a much stronger side this time round.

At the moment I'm undecided on my £10 challenge pick for the midweek games yet but I'll post it up as soon as I decide.

Good luck if you're having a go

Jay

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Really good wright up mate.I think Cardiff Brighton over 2.5 goals looks good
  • edited August 2011
    Nice write up as ever :)

I agree with two of your choices and going for a £10 treble:

Barnsley v Middlesbrough
    Hartlepool v Huddersfield
    Sheff. Utd
    v Walsall

at 7/1
  • edited August 2011
    Ipswich - Southampton, Both to score @ 4/6.
    West Ham to win @ 6/5.
    Doncaster - Forest, Both to score @ 5/6.
    Bournemouth to win @ Evens.
    Rochdale - Carlisle, Both to score @ 4/5.

Returns 23/1
    Good luck all.
  • edited August 2011
    As I couldn't help myself I've gone for a last minute long shot too.

Middlesbrough to beat Barnsley (A) @ 13/10
    West Ham to beat Watford (A) @ 11/10
    Pompey/Reading - Both to score @ 5/6
    Leyton Orient to beat Wycombe (H) @ evens
    Scunthorpe to beat Oldham (H) @ 5/6
    Colchester/Charlton - Both to score @ 8/11

These 6 potentially return a big 55/1 so only small stakes for a bit of extra fun.

I didn't manage to get round to doing anything for the £10 challenge tonight so I'lll have a look for tomorrow night's games to see if I can find anything.

Good luck peeps
  • edited August 2011
    Arsenal, Sheff Utd and Reading.

8 n half quid returns 56. 

gl all
  • edited August 2011
    4euro accum.  bournemouth,sheff utd,gillingham @ swindon
  • edited August 2011
    Not a good night tonight. Never mind, there's a few games tomorrow night so I'll see what I can find.

On the plus side though, we absolutely spanked Watford tonight so big Sam's revolution is back on track :)
  • edited August 2011
    Right then, on to tonight.

Not a lot to choose from but hopefully I've found a cheeky little 4 way on the 4 Championship games playing tonight

Leicester to beat Bristol City (H) @ 4/9
    Cardiff/Brighton - Over 2.5 goals @ 5/6
    Blackpool/Derby - Both to score @ 4/6
    Millwall/Peterborough - Both to score @ 4/6

The 4 way pays 6/1 which, given the lack of choice tonight, is well worth taking a punt on.

I included Leicester in my original acca last night & I stand by that decision. There were a few surprising results last night but Leicester really should be picking up the points here if they want to live up to their pre season billing. As previously mentioned Bristol City have already conceded 6 in their opening 2 games & if Sven's men turn up for this game then that could easily be another game with 3/4 conceded.
    You could make an argument for backing any of the three possible outcomes at Cardiff tonight but I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with any of them tbh. It's for that reason I've gone for the overs market here. Both sides have got goals in them & both will be looking to maintain their excellent start to the season. Unfortunately for them, at least one of them will lose their 100% record tonight but it should be an entertaining game for the paying punters.
    Blackpool were always a good bet in the both to score market last season & I expect them to be good value this time round too. They've got strikers who know where the goal is, particularly at this level but you always feel they're vulnerable at the back. Derby have got off to a very good start this season with 2 wins from 2 but if I'm honest I really can't see them being involved in the promotion or play off picture come next May. With confidence running high at Pride Park at the moment they'll certainly give Ollie's men a run for their money tonight & can certainly grab a goal themselves.
    I was gonna back a Millwall win at The New Den tonight but figured that for the same price this is probably a safer bet (if there is such a thing!). Millwall have made an excellent start to the season so far with a draw away to Reading & victory at home to Forest at the weekend, two sides who are expected to be fighting near the top this season. Despite losing Steve Morrison to Norwich in the summer it appears that Millwall have found an adequate replacement in Darius Henderson who's scored 2 from 2 so far. Peterborough were THE pick in the both to score market last season & they've certainly picked up where they left off so far. So far they've played 3 games in all competitions & they've scored & conceded in all of them. They had decent spells in their game at Blackpool at the weekend & were unlucky not to score more than the one goal. They'll have a right go at Millwall tonight too & it's for that reason I'm backing this market.

Good luck if you're having another go tonight

• edited August 2011
    I have gone for Brighton win and Blackpool draw.Plus a correct score punt cardiff 2 2.Leicester 2 0.Millwall 2 1.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm a Leicester fan but an obvious first goalscorer tonight was Maynard for Bristol City against Leicester bearing in mind the four bids we've made this summer trying to buy him....

....five minutes into the game, freekick to Bristol, and Maynard scores!!
  • edited August 2011
    Kinda glad Blackpool didn't manage a goal tonight. Would've been somewhat annoyed had it only been Leicester to let me down.

Roll on the weekend. There's a winner just around the corner.
  • edited August 2011
    yet again Leicester let me down of £80 :@ 
  • edited August 2011
    ALL THE TIME MR SWEDE IS MANAGER LEICESTER WILL FAIL,GO ON POYET KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..
  • edited August 2011
    Eriksson still has to find his proper starting XI and buy another striker..i still have faith, but we haven't beaten Forest at the City Ground since 1972 so i'm not holding my breath for Saturday.

I always believe the league table after 10 games is a fair indicator of a team's progress, with little room for excuses. If we're not in play-off area by then i wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Sven was on his way.

For now i keep the faith with the mighty Foxes (but i wouldn't put any more money on them)!
  • edited August 2011
    Fulham and Athletico madrid double to win tonight.
    £20 at evens

Awful odds but nothing else takes my fancie, although i do fancie putting something on hearts to get a result against tottenham at 4/1, but dont have the balls to back it lol
  • edited August 2011
    a.vienna
    s.lisbon
    paok
    fulham
    spurs
    rosenborg  5euro accum all to win pays just over 100 i think
  • edited August 2011
    I stayed well away from tonights games. Too many teams that I know nothing about is a recipe for disaster. 
  • edited August 2011
    I changed my bet and went for:
    Fulham
    St. liege
    Celtic

To all win: £10 @ 7/1