You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Out of context - is this the correct fold?

edited October 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
Looks wonderful in hindsight, but £5 double your money sit n go on the bubble.

Big blind 300, I have 2300 chips, the short stack has 1200.

UTG folds, the short stack shoves and the big stack in the small blind moves over the top.

I have pocket kings in the big blind, and decide to pass.

Shorty flips 22, the sb pocket ace.

The short stack flops a set, and my kings would have lost the side pot as well to knock me out.

I ended up cashing in 3rd, but in the long run am I better calling or passing here in this format??!

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Folding without a doubt.

If two players are all in, let them fight it out.

On this occasion it worked for you, if you call and it goes against you then you have missed out on an easy cash.

The chances are one of them will go out/be decimated so why risk your money?

I have folded kings too on a DYM on the bubble with 3 all ins before me. Instinct tells you otherwise but trust me, it's correct every time.

The only time you feel like kicking yourself is if it ends up a split pot and you could have taken it, but those cases are few and far between.

The only other exception is 2 short stacks and by calling, will not damage your chips too much.

Also the re raise by the big stack was wrong.. He should have flat called to encourage another caller to help bust the shortie. 2 heads are better than one. And you get no extra for finishing first.
  • edited October 2009
    I am against this, however on this occassion i fully agree and would break my unwritten rule ive mentioned before in another similar thread. Let Big man and Shorty fight out and take the tenner and run.
  • edited October 2009
    Fold, fold, fold in the DYM format.

Both ranges are pretty wide, however the SB is gonna turn up with a bigger hand than the shortie most of the time.

If this was a normal SnG, where the cash is top heavy then insta call.

But in a DYM where all that matters is cashing no need to take a risk.
  • edited October 2009
    Personally, I'd call although I might reconsider this depending on the stack sizes of the other players.

As already stated, it's a very bad move by the SB to re-raise but you only need to beat one of the two players to make this profitable and it is very unlikely that KK will lose to both hands (although in this case it did).

If you beat the shortie (whose range is HUGE) then it doesn't matter if you lose to the SB since you will still finish 3rd and cash (as you had a bigger stack at the beginning of the hand).

If you lose to the shortie and beat the SB, you presumably cr ipple the SB and leave him short-stacked. Although you don't quote the stack size for the SB, there are only 12K chips in play so I'm guessing that the SB can't have that many.

If you stay out of the pot and the shortie wins, you are down to 2000 chips and the current shortie has 2700 chips so you may become the new shortie. You will also be in the sb next hand with the potential to lose another 150 chips.

The only reason that I would have for folding KK here is if the table is passive and I thought that future shoves by me would get through. DYMs are pretty much a cr ap shoot at this stage if the stacks are fairly evenly balanced with people taking it in turns to shove and hoping that they don't find a monster behind them. I'd rather take the odds of KK beating the shortie (or failing that beating the SB).
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the advice everyone.