You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My first royal flush. Could I have done anything to win more?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hand History #403689355 (15:39 17/08/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceTPic91Small blind £0.02£0.02£15.51tinyglBig blind £0.04£0.06£4.47 Your hole cardsJQ   danstar23Call £0.04£0.10£0.53thethirdpoCall £0.04£0.14£3.92LORDISHFold    TPic91Call £0.02£0.16£15.49tinyglCheck    Flop  KA2   TPic91Check    tinyglCheck    danstar23Check    thethirdpoCheck    Turn  10   TPic91Check    tinyglCheck    danstar23Check    thethirdpoBet £0.04£0.20£3.88TPic91Fold    tinyglCall £0.04£0.24£4.43danstar23Fold    River  6   tinyglCheck    thethirdpoBet £0.12£0.36£3.76tinyglFold    thethirdpoMuck    thethirdpoWin £0.22 £3.98thethirdpoReturn £0.12£0.02£4.10

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I would of raised pre flop, and 100% bet out on the flop, i find its a winning stratagy to bet out on big draws.

But thats just me :)
  • edited August 2011
      There are several things that you could have done better in this hand.

Firstly DO NOT limp into pots with these type of hands, either raise or fold.

Secondly you did all your betting on the wrong streets. On the flop you have a gutshot nut flushdraw and gutshot royal.This is where you need to be looking at getting chips into the pot when you do not have the made hand but just a massive draw. Doing this will usually keep customers and when you hit the bingo card on the turn you also have the option available to slow down as if it is a scare card which increases the chance of your opponent(s) bluffing the river.

So basically bet before you hit rather than waiting to hit and allowing your opponents away cheaply when you telegraph your hand.
  • edited August 2011
    raise or fold pre, bet flop, bet turn bigger, bet river bigger
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: My first royal flush. Could I have done anything to win more?:
    I would of raised pre flop, and 100% bet out on the flop, i find its a winning stratagy to bet out on big draws. But thats just me :)
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    It is a winnin strategy

so its me too ;)
  • edited August 2011
    bet it properly
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for all your help.

I limped in pre because these guys had been calling down everything and just didn't think there was a point in raising as they would almost all call unless I raised a very large amount.

Definitely should have raised on flop and then seen what happened from there.

Thanks again!
  • edited August 2011
    At this level, if you're going to play a hand, then raise it to about 20p. These people who just call everything are where you get your money at 4NL. You play big starting hands and bet big on every street if you hit.

If they call everything as you mentioned, why on earth are you not betting at least 75% of the pot on the flop, turn and river??
  • edited August 2011
    Fold pre for me guy has 53p and if he shoves on you, you're basically gambling.
  • edited August 2011
    If they call everything as you mentioned, why on earth are you not betting at least 75% of the pot on the flop, turn and river??

Good point. It was more that they were calling everything preflop and as no one was betting anything after this particular flop (quite unusual for this table) i decided that betting too much would scare them away.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: My first royal flush. Could I have done anything to win more?:
    Fold pre for me guy has 53p and if he shoves on you, you're basically gambling.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Fold pre ??
  • edited August 2011
    The guy has 53 pennies behind so likely to shove over any raise most likely wiv rag A/K which is ahead of you, probably too tight but I just canny be bovered gettin involved.
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for all your help. I limped in pre because these guys had been calling down everything and just didn't think there was a point in raising as they would almost all call unless I raised a very large amount. Definitely should have raised on flop and then seen what happened from there. Thanks again!
    Posted by thethirdpo

If they call every raise that's even more reason to raise it up then when you do hit you win a bigger pot.

That's why you should be betting the flop too.