You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Betting Strategy

edited August 2011 in Betting Chat
I wonder if anyone could help me devise a betting strategy ie to how to survive a losing streak.Read lots of articles about same.Anyone interested ?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Betting Strategy:
    I wonder if anyone could help me devise a betting strategy ie to how to survive a losing streak.Read lots of articles about same.Anyone interested ?
    Posted by Ukjoe
    Tell me about it!
  • edited August 2011

Im a speed handicapper and bet on horses everyday i stopped posting in the forums but was itching to start putting tips on here.

I became ill at 22 and couldnt go out much so devoted my time to horse racing systems and at a later date poker.

I've got about 20 books on horse racing systems,pro betting ect.

They all say the same thing, the ED GIDDINGS aproach.   (VALUE TOWN)

Basically if u wanna beat the bookies you gotta play em at their own game.
    A pro punter will devise a tissue which is an assesmant of a race with there selections expressed at their odds,
    then compare it to the bookies odds and pick the horse with the biggest odds difference.

Easy way of putting it (You lot seem to be betting even money to 3/1 shots regulary)
    Write down your bets and assess ur strike rate which is nowhere near over 50% witch it needs to be over to make a small profit at even stakes.

So i would suggest whatever system ur using for betting on your horses and i hope its not the well dated
    (top jockey,top trainer,top rated combos)assess your stike rate say your picking winners at about a 20% strikerate.You then need over 5/1 to make a profit so choose ur horses as you do and only bet on them when they are 6/1  or over.

Bankroll management is vital aswell i'd go for 1% of your betting bankroll to be betted on per race,pros
    go for 2%.Theirs so much variance in horse racing that you should be betting fixed stakes.
    (E.G You could bet the best horse in the race but it wont win because-As humans are left and right handed
    so horses have a predominant side too,being advantageous to a left or right handed running track,rear in the stalls,falls,blocked in running ect,ect.)
    Weight isn't so much a problem tests done on horses showed they could go faster with more weight on but its the horses threshold for too much weight eg THEY GO FASTER UP UNTIL THERE BREAKING POINT.

Finally alot of pros like to dutch their bets if your doing this get your stake for the race and split it in 2 to be
    placed evenly on your selections.

If any of you need any horse betting books i've got loads if there is a way i can get em to you i would
    if u want em no problem.

I hope this doesnt all come across as egotistical but just trying to help GL from jimi.

• edited August 2011
    Nice post some very good tips on there.

I only bet for entertainment usually singles, my only set rule is if im doing multipule i.e lucky 15s/yankees ect. I make each horse at a price where one coming in covers most of the stake ie. 7/1 min.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Betting Strategy:
    Nice post some very good tips on there. I only bet for entertainment usually singles, my only set rule is if im doing multipule i.e lucky 15s/yankees ect. I make each horse at a price where one coming in covers most of the stake ie. 7/1 min.
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Thanks m8,yeah agreed if you get the full lot in it could pay for the years worth were as 4 even money shots is virtually pointless long term.
    Its abit like poker your profits come by doing the right things longterm.
    Theres a book called against the crowd that testifies the only way to win is to bet horses that the masses wouldn,t be betting on e.g Dont bet FAVOURITES.