You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thin value bet on the river?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #403841676 (21:58 17/08/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jugglegeek Small blind   75.00 75.00 5835.00
X Big blind   150.00 225.00 3042.50
  Your hole cards

Y
Call   150.00 375.00 2950.00
Z
Call   150.00 525.00 1695.00
kriscross Fold        
mummy2Dylan87 Fold        
jugglegeek Call   75.00 600.00 5760.00
OVERAWE Check        
Flop

• Q
  • A

jugglegeek Check        
X Check        
Y
Check        
Z
Check        
Turn

jugglegeek Check        
X
Check        
Y
Check        
Z
Check        
River

• A

jugglegeek Bet   450.00 1050.00 5310.00

Comments

• edited August 2011

if thats a vbet what do you expect to call that you beat?

• edited August 2011
    This is in the £2 bounty hunter last night and the players had been limping loads. When there was a raise pre then it was with a premium hand. But they were happy to limp with Ax or suited cards but nothing bonkers like 72o or 92 etc.

When one of them hit the flop there would always be a bet. Often I would raise pre and then get a donk bet from them if they had hit top pair weak kicker.

I call from the small blind with the idea that if I hit a set on a paint flop I would get so much implied odds from a four way flop that it was best not to raise anyone out of the hand.

After the second two comes on the turn I expect any player with a 2 to bet. I'm already pretty sure that nobody has an ace (they would have bet the flop for sure) So it is reasonable to think that when the second ace changes nothing on the river that my 4s might be good here and I should bet for a little value? After all they might call here with king high.

Or should I check call? My thoughts are that my opponents would only bet with a hand that is beating me, but they may call with a hand that is worse than mine.

What do you think?

Obviously the flush hitting on the end worries me but it will also worry my opponents too. By betting first on the river I am giving my opponents a tough decision, even if they have hit a low flush
  • edited August 2011
    4 way lol...ur right there it is thin value bet...
  • edited August 2011
    I would c/f, esp when the flush completes, all be it on a redic board for a flush. When you lead 4way its tough for worse to call even though you should never have a hand. I think you get called by flushes and pps more than hands you beat.Your 4s may be good but I dont think you can vbet them. If you bet here its a bluff imo
  • edited August 2011
    WOW never betting here, just praying for SD lol
  • edited August 2011
    You have showdown value with the 4s but i imagine anyone calling you beats you. If everyone folds you win the same amount as if it gets checked round but you don;t have asmuch risk i don't really like the bet tbh
  • edited August 2011
    This is a bluff, not a value bet.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Thin value bet on the river?:
    This is a bluff, not a value bet.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1

why bet ?
    why no raise pre ?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Thin value bet on the river? : +1 why bet ? why no raise pre ?
    Posted by rancid

I see your point. The bet here is a bluff then, and it's not likely to get through three players. Prehaps heads up, this might be worth a go then?

As for my pre-flop play it's all about the size of the stacks right? One of the players has 11xBB the others have 20xBB. These are dangerous stack sizes to be raising into with a pair of fours. If they shove then I can't call, while if I make up from the small blind I can see a cheap flop.

For the record I got called by 99 and 66.
  • edited August 2011
    Should be happy to get to showdown here. Check/fold.
  • edited August 2011
    pre is fine
    v.weird river bet, check check check check check check check check
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Thin value bet on the river? : I see your point. The bet here is a bluff then, and it's not likely to get through three players. Prehaps heads up, this might be worth a go then? As for my pre-flop play it's all about the size of the stacks right? One of the players has 11xBB the others have 20xBB. These are dangerous stack sizes to be raising into with a pair of fours. If they shove then I can't call, while if I make up from the small blind I can see a cheap flop. For the record I got called by 99 and 66.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    ok fine if your making up to set mine but then turning your hand into a bluff on the river makes no sense.
    Might aswel just lead flop or turn for the same result
    Betting river is only getting called by better not worse