You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ALWAYS! Every session i get one of these to ruin my profits.

Not exaggerating one bit here. I play between 2 and 4 cash tables at a time and grind away winning the small pots and gradually being in profit generally on most, if not all of the tables. I ALWAYS get one of these beats put on me and it destroys all my previous good work. I lose a big pot despite being massive favourite and it sets me back to the beginning again. My roll has been stagnant for probably 2/3 months now because of this freakish phenomenon! Its frickin impossible for this sequence to continue.

My last one was KK, all-in pre against A,K and he hit the A straight away. I had one t'other day where i had QQ i think against JJ and he hit runner runner flush. I would post the hands but to be honest i cant be bothered to go through all my hand history to find em. Makes it worse when villain says 'ul' in chat box. Anyway, hope the following cheers you up.

Maybe should be in area 51! lol

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCpt_RandomSmall blind £0.02£0.02£1.54DrSharpBig blind £0.04£0.06£4.11NMintoSit out     Your hole cardsAA   xRaise £0.20£0.26£5.06WINSLOWFold    skivvyFold    Cpt_RandomFold    DrSharpRaise £0.72£0.98£3.39xAll-in £5.06£6.04£0.00DrSharpAll-in £3.39£9.43£0.00xUnmatched bet £1.11£8.32£1.11DrSharpShowAA   xShowKJ   Flop  468   Turn  K   River  J   xWinTwo Pairs, Kings and Jacks£7.69 £8.80

Comments

• edited August 2011
    To be honest, at this level, you shouldn't really be making your profit by chipping away and getting the tiny pots. If you're raising 20p everytime you come into a hand, then when you hit top pair with your AK,AQ,AJ etc, or you hit a set, two pair etc, you bet 75% of the pot, probably get a call by rubbish players, then 75% on the turn and so on. You can get maximum value from most decent hands at this level, and when you've raised big pre, it allows you to build a big pot post flop, so I'd say an average pot you win would be at least £1 and you're getting them fairly often, then every now and again you get 1010 and hit a 10 on the flop and get someones full stack off them.

What I'm trying to say is, losing one hand shouldn't lose all your profits or your profits were very small in the first place. I mean just going from that hand, you've only lost 1 BI.
  • edited August 2011
    Golly, make a note of this player if you didn't already lol
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: ALWAYS! Every session i get one of these to ruin my profits.:
    Golly, make a note of this player if you didn't already lol
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    out of interest what note would you make?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: ALWAYS! Every session i get one of these to ruin my profits.:
    In Response to Re: ALWAYS! Every session i get one of these to ruin my profits. : out of interest what note would you make?
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    raise 5xbb utg w/ kj /> 4 bet aipf followed by multiple swear words + luckbox ;) would be my suggestion !
  • edited August 2011
    R 5x UTG w/KJ, shove over 3bet pre, followed by like AGGRO MANIAC, always in caps for quick look.
  • edited August 2011
    To be honest, at this level, you shouldn't really be making your profit by chipping away and getting the tiny pots. If you're raising 20p everytime you come into a hand, then when you hit top pair with your AK,AQ,AJ etc, or you hit a set, two pair etc, you bet 75% of the pot, probably get a call by rubbish players, then 75% on the turn and so on. You can get maximum value from most decent hands at this level, and when you've raised big pre, it allows you to build a big pot post flop, so I'd say an average pot you win would be at least £1 and you're getting them fairly often, then every now and again you get 1010 and hit a 10 on the flop and get someones full stack off them. What I'm trying to say is, losing one hand shouldn't lose all your profits or your profits were very small in the first place. I mean just going from that hand, you've only lost 1 BI.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Pretty much my game at this level Lambert. Typical session would be about evens to -1 or -2 quid on one table where i havent hit many flops and my c-bets havent done their jobs. Maybe 50p or so up on another table where i've won one or two medium size pots but not hit too many flops. 2 quid up on another table where i am up against a weak table where there is plenty of dead money to steal. And finally about 3-4-5-6 quid up where things are going well where i am hitting flops with my premium hands and generally ruling the table. The big pot loss now comes in to play and it totally negates most of my profits on the other tables.

Maybe its a major downswing or maybe its me, but the above hand is becoming fairly standard stuff recently.

My big hands seem to win against relatively smaller stacks of about 75p - 150p but lose to the 4-5-6-7 quid stacks. I win the small stacks with my big hands but get binked on by the other big stacks as in the hand above. Its a downturn, but it seems to be a big one. I know i am getting my money in good but how long can it last?

Dudeskin8, this is why, despite my bankroll, i am loathe to move up again. I know these beats are getting me at the moment, i need to get through this. Just wondered if anyone else gets a run like this?

• edited August 2011
    I think if you play within a bankroll, which for me is having at LEAST 20 BI's for whatever level you play, then these sort of hands should not be that hurtful. Yes getting AA in against undercards and still not winning is horrific lol but it means you're playing good poker, just for the record preflop you're an 86% favourite so longterm if you win 86 of these AI's you win £344 but lose 13 of them which is just £54 and overall it's £290 so therefore you are printing money in this spot.

Good luck mate, keep doing THIS.

Carl.
  • edited August 2011
    I think if you play within a bankroll, which for me is having at LEAST 20 BI's for whatever level you play, then these sort of hands should not be that hurtful. Yes getting AA in against undercards and still not winning is horrific lol but it means you're playing good poker, just for the record preflop you're an 86% favourite so longterm if you win 86 of these AI's you win £344 but lose 13 of them which is just £54 and overall it's £290 so therefore you are printing money in this spot. Good luck mate, keep doing THIS. Carl.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

This is not strictly true, depends on the size of the pots won and lost but yeah you cant' complain getting AAVKJ pre flop can you - I'll take that every hand - WOULD YOU ? <<--- question you must ask yourself when you think AA is not good
  • edited August 2011
    Nit-picking FTW lolz.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: ALWAYS! Every session i get one of these to ruin my profits. : out of interest what note would you make?
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    "idiot"

?
  • edited August 2011
    This was this mornings little gem. Obviously not a big loss but the pot was worth winning. 1st real cash session since i posted this thread because i have been playing a few MTT's over the weekend. Did i scare the big stack off, could i have done anything different. I have to shove with the 3 smaller stacks comitted dont i?

Enjoy.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    stewren100 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.47
    gis_speed Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.32
      Your hole cards

toffeeefc Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £0.58
    tlioubov2 Call  £0.08 £0.22 £1.24
    DrSharp Call  £0.08 £0.30 £3.84
    stewren100 Call  £0.06 £0.36 £3.41
    gis_speed Call  £0.04 £0.40 £1.28
    Flop

• K

stewren100 Check     
    gis_speed Bet  £0.20 £0.60 £1.08
    toffeeefc Call  £0.20 £0.80 £0.38
    tlioubov2 Call  £0.20 £1.00 £1.04
    DrSharp All-in  £3.84 £4.84 £0.00
    stewren100 Fold     
    gis_speed All-in  £1.08 £5.92 £0.00
    toffeeefc All-in  £0.38 £6.30 £0.00
    tlioubov2 All-in  £1.04 £7.34 £0.00
    DrSharp Unmatched bet  £2.56 £4.78 £2.56
    gis_speed Show

toffeeefc Show
    • Q
    • A

tlioubov2 Show
    • A

DrSharp Show

Turn

River

gis_speed Win Full House, 5s and 4s £4.42
  • edited August 2011
    This is twice this has happened this week!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Chris_Mc Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.20
    peacock10 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.55
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Denty Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.92
    DrSharp Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £3.78
    Loki21 Fold     
    xAll-in  £4.41 £4.67 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Fold     
    peacock10 Fold     
    Denty Fold     
    DrSharp All-in  £3.78 £8.45 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £0.47 £7.98 £0.47
    DrSharp Show
    • K
    • K

xShow
    • K
    • A

Flop

• A

Turn

• Q

River

xWin Pair of Aces £7.38
  • edited August 2011
    1. Looks fine could reraise but shove is the same.

2. Yh every time I get it in with KK against Ax my heart sinks as you're just not that big a fave.
  • edited August 2011
    Nit-picking FTW lolz.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    )
  • edited August 2011
    Only read OP Sharp but I seem to run the exact same way.  Was one of the top reasons i quit online.  Just becomes slightly too predictable.
  • edited August 2011
    Doc - I'm on a bad run also at present. Aces done over by "unusual" hands :) and when I have had Kings they invariably have Aces which hold. I'm having a break as a result before I lose the all of the profits I made recently. As you know it is very easy to go on a down swing at nl4 given the hands that are played!

I've experienced the hand that destroys all the hard work a lot as well. Always happens. 

Also, I read about always raising pre to win bigger pots, etc, but unfortunately at nl4 you get a LOT of very short stackers which can mean it is difficult to improve your stack quickly.

Maybe you should say to yourself that once you get a BI or 2 up on a session overall you shut down the tables.
    It may mean you lose value on the table/s you're well up on but........?

You'll get through it m8. Good luck. 
  • edited August 2011
    Doc - I'm on a bad run also at present. Aces done over by "unusual" hands :) and when I have had Kings they invariably have Aces which hold. I'm having a break as a result before I lose the all of the profits I made recently. As you know it is very easy to go on a down swing at nl4 given the hands that are played! I've experienced the hand that destroys all the hard work a lot as well. Always happens.  Also, I read about always raising pre to win bigger pots, etc, but unfortunately at nl4 you get a LOT of very short stackers which can mean it is difficult to improve your stack quickly. Maybe you should say to yourself that once you get a BI or 2 up on a session overall you shut down the tables. It may mean you lose value on the table/s you're well up on but........? You'll get through it m8. Good luck. 
    Posted by walesboy
    I hear people say this time and time again and it just makes no sense to me. It's this exact reason that makes 4NL SO profitable. Obviously you're gonna get someone hit 2 pair with K4 occasionally but that's not gonna happen half as often as you have the winning hand (with a standard tight opening range)
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: ALWAYS! Every session i get one of these to ruin my profits. : I hear people say this time and time again and it just makes no sense to me. It's this exact reason that makes 4NL SO profitable. Obviously you're gonna get someone hit 2 pair with K4 occasionally but that's not gonna happen half as often as you have the winning hand (with a standard tight opening range)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Maybe I should have said "run bad" instead. It is true over time it should make you profitable. But due to the wide ranges of people (and the sheer number of people) who play you can have a period of losing the hands in which you are favourite.