You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What level do you start to min raise?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Min raising is very tricky for me.

Probably because I'm a cash player I tend to be able to dance my way out of trouble (when i'm not drunk at 4am obv.)

Where is it okay to min raise? 100/200? 150/300?? later???

I'm currently 3xing every open at all levels inc FT!

I realise this is a huge leak as i'm spewing chips when I dont need to..

Any input welcome!!

xx

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I would usually 3x for the first 2-3 levels, but usually when the average stack drops to about 30 BB's i dont see the need to as you can get a 30 bb stack in without raising 3x.

I usually start opening to smaller amount (2.2-2.5x) at around the 40/80 level, also im really laggy in most tournaments and like to open alot throughout, so i tend to find opening smaller gets me alot more pots in position because ppl start to defend light. when you are 3x raising you are getting called from the blinds with a tighter range that is less likely to c/f flops like you want them to. I dont see the point in 3x raises if your decent either, as a cash player surely you would have a better edge when post flop stack sizes allow some manouverabilty.

Despite this, i have no tournament credentials whatsoever :)
  • edited August 2011
    i hate a min raise at any level irene. 2.2x-2.5x is preferd i usually start 2.5x at 50/100
  • edited August 2011
    when you reach a new level in a tourney say the blinds are 1000/2000 you have a stack of 36000 min raising is absolutely fine, pretty standard but id depends how the table reacts to the "min raise", if you constantly getting callers you might need to pump it up and follow suit with the norm open at the table...

on the flip side if everyone folds to the min raise then carry on esp if you keep getting folds from the bb...
  • edited August 2011
    I NEVER minraise personally unless I have AA/KK with like 15 bigs where I'm praying for a caller.

In deepstacks that I play I generally stop 3x raising at about 100/200 level and instead make it something like 500 or a comedy raise of 444 , basically 2.1-2.5x.

The reason you raise less later on is that you should be raising more and hence you won't always have hands and just be blind stealing, this can be done for less than 3x most times so you save money when someone finds a hand.
  • edited August 2011
    why never minraise?

clearly solid players fold to min raises, so if you have fold equity why not min raise?
  • edited August 2011
    I think people (i.e the BB) are more drawn to calling a min raise to 'have a look at the flop' than to say 2.5

I've always thought of it as similar to how shops draw people in with prices like £1.99 rather than £2 even though it's a minute difference.

I think 2.2-2.5 looks less like a steal than a min raise.

PS. Yeah I agree with first reply, I start reducing the size of my raises when the average stack gets to around 30BB
  • edited August 2011
    Min raisng is very underrated imo and can be used to gd effect at any level as long as its the correct situation
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: What level do you start to min raise?:
    Min raisng is very underrated imo and can be used to gd effect at any level as long as its the correct situation
    Posted by debdobs_67
    +1
  • edited August 2011
    I think when your talking about minning and 2.2xing it has to be done in combination with good range finding and great post flop play.  Only the 3 combined will give you the desired result IMO