You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Overpair to flop facing check raise 180bbs deep

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I have only been at the table for a short spell. The villain is opening a lot pre and has bullied another player by barrelling multiple streets then showing his 3rd pair no kicker etc. However this was when he was pf raiser in the face of passive responce. I've raised a few pots nothing out of the ordinary so far.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
muscles Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £44.92
alan1506 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £59.40
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

bbyfaceace Fold     
Villain Call  £0.30 £0.75 £106.89
dntfukmof Fold     
WildDog Raise  £1.20 £1.95 £52.95
muscles Call  £1.05 £3.00 £43.87
alan1506 Fold     
Villain Call  £0.90 £3.90 £105.99
Flop

muscles Check     
Villain Check     
WildDog Bet  £2.93 £6.83 £50.02
muscles Call  £2.93 £9.76 £40.94
Villain Raise  £9.28 £19.04 £96.71
What are the viable options here? To be honest im not just interested in this specific hand but situations like this in general. With the flat call fon the flop from the other player i think it makes my decision easier. But you will get ppl making this play with 99, TT, JJ and even some 8s. If i b/f my hand to a c/r on boards like this then should i be betting the flop at all? Obviously the usual line for a villain to take is to call with a lot of the above potential holdings which makes my life a lot easier. 

Just say for instance that the 3rd player who flats the flop wasn't involved. To a check raise on that flop 180bbs deep with scant information on the villain whats the line to take? Obviously bluffs would be a bigger part of his range in this scenario. But if we call the flop raise then assuming he bets again we cant really fold many turns surely? He could be betting us for value with hands that we still beat. Stacking off with QQ this deep wouldn't leave me feeling very clever either tho. 

Cheers 4 any of your thoughts guy x x

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I realise that with the villain open limping its unlikely he has JJ or whatever so i don't think this is a super example for the 2nd paragraph above.
  • edited August 2011
    What's beating you here?
    AA,KK unlikely as he'd have three bet pre.
    Set- possible but he's also likely to call to try to get more value on the turn.

So 99,10 10,JJ are very possible, as is two overs.
    If you reraise to say £20, you pot commit yourself so it's either jam of fold.
    But what do I know, I suck at cash.

• edited August 2011
    This looks a lot like a set to me.
  • edited August 2011
    unlikely villain is raising light in a 3way pot
    question is would he play an over pair like this? it'd be bad, but possible
    a set looks the most reasonable explanation but if villain is fishy you could have him killed

• edited August 2011
    Looks suspiciously like a set of 2's or 6's with the limp call pre flop.

If he's been bullying alot then shove i would have thought.
  • edited August 2011
    hi WildDog, 

obviously this is torturing you here a bit. One thing that you haven't mentioned here is what range the villian puts you on.

So 99+, A10s+(ish). now if he is a bit of a bully then he knows that a lot of your pfr and c-bet range is non pairing overcards. so I think it is almost as likely he has 55 77 44 57s 79s (other suited semiconnectors) in this hand as a set, knowing that the pot could get too big for you and even if you have an overpair hes got outs if you call or at least a lot of scare cards.

hope this helps or at least puts a different slant on things.