You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mid Ace, shortstacked, BH

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all, I would like to know how you would play this hand.

I had 17bb and was in bb too. Table was fairly tight but had a near chip leader of the tourney on my immediate left with around 110 bb. There was a lot of limping and calling going on and pretty passive play. I hadnt played much in a while trying to preserve my stack. Anyway everyone limps into the pot and it comes round to me with A8h. The answer I want to know is, what do you do? I shoved and got called by the big stack with K5s (which he hits the full house eliminating me). Now I'm not really questioning the call as I'm only a very marginal favourite with that, but how would you play it? I cant raise 2-3x as I am pot-committing myself anyway so may as well shove - would you check and see the quality of the flop then fold when someone bets and wait for something else? (I was pretty much card dead the whole tourney anyway.)

I was showing strength by biding my time then shoving and was gambling and the big stack was pretty tight so figured even if it was only a smallish % of his stack he'd only call with a hand and wasnt worried about anyone else.

I know it didnt get through, but did I do anything wrong - was I perhaps a bit impatient by making a move then? Would that move pay off in general in similar circumstances not in a BH but a standard Freezeout?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I dont mind it at all. ul.
  • edited August 2011
    depends on the entrance fee aswell if it a 2.30 bh you will always get a call. Generally speaking though i would say a shove is fine i despise a limped pot :)
  • edited August 2011
    his call sux, calling a 17bb shove with K5s, cmon what range he is putting you on - K4 - 2's,3's,4's any other pr he got a 3 outer - jesus hate these bad calls and he limps from UTG then calls a 17BB shove - OMG

ul - the shove is find if it's multi limped - punish them tbh - if they call then that is good for you
    Variance :)(
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Mid Ace, shortstacked, BH:
    his call sux, calling a 17bb shove with K5s, cmon what range he is putting you on - K4 - 2's,3's,4's any other pr he got a 3 outer - jesus hate these bad calls and he limps from UTG then calls a 17BB shove - OMG ul - the shove is find if it's multi limped - punish them tbh - if they call then that is good for you Variance :)(
    Posted by rancid
    +1
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah it was a £2.30 bh so perhaps the call was partially down to that. I've always been told to punish limpers but didnt know if it was ok to shove with a marginal hand in a bh specifically with more than 10-12 bigs. Thanks for the info!
  • edited August 2011
    push or fold. You said everyone limped in, so there's 6BB in the pot, if you were to raise you'd need to raise at LEAST 6BB yourself here, raising 3 BB is pointless. There's no way you can raise 6/17BB and fold to a poor flop you missed.

FWIW, the guy made a horrendous call. I got knocked out the BH tonight in a similar fashion myself. 
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Mid Ace, shortstacked, BH:
    Yeah it was a £2.30 bh so perhaps the call was partially down to that. I've always been told to punish limpers but didnt know if it was ok to shove with a marginal hand in a bh specifically with more than 10-12 bigs. Thanks for the info!
    Posted by SALT1R3
    His call was bad, bounty or not