You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this fold too tight?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Player seemed to be reasonably LAG, however seemed to be doing ok apart from a major bad beat earlier.

thoughts would be appreciated. At the time I just took him to figure me on the king and thought his 5 (presumably) would get paid...?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance-----------Small blind 25.0025.001382.50PuppetJackBig blind 50.0075.001827.50 Your hole cardsAK   keotyCall 50.00125.003085.00bexlex4424Fold    longhair21Call 50.00175.001980.00NuttySka48Fold    -----------Call 25.00200.001357.50PuppetJackRaise 200.00400.001627.50keotyFold    longhair21Fold    -----------Call 200.00600.001157.50Flop  5K10   -----------Check    PuppetJackBet 300.00900.001327.50-----------Call 300.001200.00857.50Turn  5   -----------All-in 857.502057.500.00PuppetJackFold    -----------Muck    -----------Win 1200.00 1200.00-----------Return 857.500.002057.50

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Without any reads its difficult, but Im not folding. If he has hit the 5, he most likely checks again, rather than just jams. 

I call, and lol at his pre flop call with Q5 :D
  • edited August 2011
    Interesting. had I have been him ( with a 5), I absolutely would have shoved, as I'd figure it the most likely way to get paid.

seems I have a bit to learn...?

consequently ..they got knocked out shortly after with A-5 (flush draw) which didn't pay off.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: was this fold too tight?:
    Interesting. had I have been him ( with a 5), I absolutely would have shoved, as I'd figure it the most likely way to get paid. seems I have a bit to learn...? consequently ..they got knocked out shortly after with A-5 (flush draw) which didn't pay off.
    Posted by PuppetJack
    ach, I dunno, you might get people coming on here saying its an easy fold, others saying snap call. Its a tough spot, but I hate playing AK, hitting one of the cards, then folding to aggression on an uncoordinated board. 

If I was villian, and I had just hit the other 5, Id be checking it back to you with one more street to come, I certainly wouldnt be jamming to see you fold a hand like AK in that spot, or ANY weaker hand for that matter. 

As I said, if others disagree fair do's, Im on a downswing from Hell this year so whadda I know =P 
  • edited August 2011
    snap

why would he have a five - A5 :S
    Would he really call your flop bet with a five

More likely K10 but you have that beat now anyway

Feels like a KQ, KJ hand and why indeed shove turn - did he really call pre with 56/A6
    and call the flop bet with btm pr - if he did then hey ho WTF !
  • edited August 2011
    snap why would he have a five - A5 :S Would he really call your flop bet with a five More likely K10 but you have that beat now anyway Feels like a KQ, KJ hand
    Posted by rancid
    Id call (and in some cases raise) with a 5 on the flop against 1 opponent if the opponent is a high c-bet %age player.
  • edited August 2011
    K10 but you have that beat now anyway 
    Posted by rancid

ORLY?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: was this fold too tight? : ORLY?
    Posted by LLCooLD

Taxi for me :) Could be K10 though

I need sleep .... nn
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: was this fold too tight? : Id call (and in some cases raise) with a 5 on the flop against 1 opponent if the opponent is a high c-bet %age player.
    Posted by LLCooLD
    Maybe but I can't give the guy credit for this as he has limped pre and then called a raise.
    Just seeing station unless he got like a set 10's or something.
  • edited August 2011
    I snap this VERY quickly and expect the pot to slide my way.
  • edited August 2011
    I think this is an awful fold.
  • edited August 2011
  • edited August 2011
    850 to win 2k easy call if he has a 5 lol and move on to the next hand, this is a easy call and its most likely he definitely is not doing this with a 5 but more likely just puts you on air and thinks the 5 is a good card to rep, he can have anything from J9/Q9/QJ/KJ/KQ w/ small pocket pairs you should be snapping this with your eyes closed
  • edited August 2011
  • edited August 2011
    What is your stack size? Seems like a call to me is likely you will bet again, why would he shove he is strong
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks all for the advice. it certainly goes with my afterthought that I'd made a mistake. for some reason I just felt like he had it. as it was a DYM, I wasn't really in the mood to hobble myself for the sake of it & I went on to win, so perhaps it was the correct move strategically?

will cetrainly think long & hard next time i'm in that spot.