You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

heads up strategy

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi. im about to start playing heads up online and im thinking what my overall strategy should be. since there are only 2 positions in heads up play, the button wich acts first pre flop and the last post flop,and off the button, wich does the opposite -what will you most likely be looking to do when you have the button? thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    raise every button
    c-bet all flops
    give up or bet for value
    induce is your friend
    beat the rake

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: heads up strategy:
    raise every button c-bet all flops give up or bet for value induce is your friend beat the rake
    Posted by rancid
    n1 cheers
  • edited August 2011
    raise every button c-bet all flops give up or bet for value induce is your friend beat the rake
    Posted by rancid
    none of this is necceserily true
    you don't have to raise every button at all 
    you definitely don't want to c-bet every flop (maybe in S&G's not cash imo)
    and you most definitely don't want to just give up if you can't bet for value - semi-bluffing is quite a big part of HU imo
    you want reads on your opponent first
    his 3bet %, how many times he folds to 3bets, whether he 4b/f .. if he gives up to alot of cbets - whether he plays BTN aggressively - what hands he plays certain ways, how he plays FD's, open enders, gut shots, TP, etc etc etc .. quite important to know whether you're playing S&G's HU or HU cash - cash is the more challenging as you should be deeper for the majority, think about every play you make, know your plan for the hand - already know what you'll do if he raises etc ... know whether he folds to 2/3 barrels - whether he's a fish etc .... HU is the most strategical form of poker so you need to think carefully about every street - much more comes into it when you become more experienced in HU, like balancing your range and levelling if you play a reg etc... if you're just playing S&G's i don't think a lot of that is needed, because a lot of the time it will just come down to a flip
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: heads up strategy : none of this is necceserily true you don't have to raise every button at all  you definitely don't want to c-bet every flop (maybe in S&G's not cash imo) and you most definitely don't want to just give up if you can't bet for value - semi-bluffing is quite a big part of HU imo you want reads on your opponent first his 3bet %, how many times he folds to 3bets, whether he 4b/f .. if he gives up to alot of cbets - whether he plays BTN aggressively - what hands he plays certain ways, how he plays FD's, open enders, gut shots, TP, etc etc etc .. quite important to know whether you're playing S&G's HU or HU cash - cash is the more challenging as you should be deeper for the majority, think about every play you make, know your plan for the hand - already know what you'll do if he raises etc ... know whether he folds to 2/3 barrels - whether he's a fish etc .... HU is the most strategical form of poker so you need to think carefully about every street - much more comes into it when you become more experienced in HU, like balancing your range and levelling if you play a reg etc... if you're just playing S&G's i don't think a lot of that is needed, because a lot of the time it will just come down to a flip
    Posted by percival09
    verry informative.thanks.
  • edited August 2011
    raising every button is a good starting point and then you go from there. If your opponent doesnt react accordingly then keep doing it. If you start to get 3bet then adjust what hands you raise on the button.
  • edited August 2011
    raising every button is a good starting point and then you go from there. If your opponent doesnt react accordingly then keep doing it. If you start to get 3bet then adjust what hands you raise on the button.
    Posted by offshoot
    sounds simple enough,thanks
  • edited August 2011
    HU is very hard, and you're not going to get any information in here that will make you beat these games. It's not like FR where someone can say "Do XYZ and win".

I have some video's of me playing and doing commentary that you can watch for free, but here is the piece of advice that will save you more money than the rest of the thread combined:

Don't play heads up, if you are asking this question you are going to get crushed so bad, watch video's on training site, read colin moshman's book called "heads up no limit" or some such, read hands on that other poker forum that i'm not sure if were still not allowed to talk about, but if you can put 2 and 2 together you should find it. Then when you have a very good base of knowledge, begin to tackle it. I would reccommend starting out at SnG's as you wont lose all your money super fast and will learn alot more cost effectively.

Gl.
  • edited August 2011
    HU is very hard, and you're not going to get any information in here that will make you beat these games. It's not like FR where someone can say "Do XYZ and win". I have some video's of me playing and doing commentary that you can watch for free, but here is the piece of advice that will save you more money than the rest of the thread combined: Don't play heads up, if you are asking this question you are going to get crushed so bad, watch video's on training site, read colin moshman's book called "heads up no limit" or some such, read hands on that other poker forum that i'm not sure if were still not allowed to talk about, but if you can put 2 and 2 together you should find it. Then when you have a very good base of knowledge, begin to tackle it. I would reccommend starting out at SnG's as you wont lose all your money super fast and will learn alot more cost effectively. Gl.
    Posted by LadyFingrs

Where can I find these???
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: heads up strategy : Where can I find these???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

50NL vs Reg (1st commentary so dont play that well): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TV8UI1VM

50NL vs Fish (most recent):http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7AJGCYUX

YouTube Post Session Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEPx1ShumQ