You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Kc Kd

Tournament: Some £25 Gtd freeroller 25 point entry (6 handed tables)

Blinds: 20/40 *Early on
Position: On the button *Good position
Stack sizes (1st position to BB): 2955, 2795, 3415, 2335 (me), 6310, 5340 *Short-stacked
Hole cards: Kc Kd *What a nice hand
Playing styles: They're all pulling off wild raises with any two cards *Is waiting for good cards the way to play against this type of opponent?

Pre-flop actions:
-1st folds, 2nd + 3rd call, I raise to 200 (5 times big blind) *Should this raise get rid of any junk hands that may just out-flop me?
-SB + BB fold, 2nd and 3rd call again. Pot = 620 *Should 2nd + 3rd have reasonable hands?

FLOP: Qc 9h 4c *Should me and my kings be very scared of clubs?

Post-flop actions:
-2nd + 3rd check, I raise to 800 *Is this an acceptable raise considering the flop?
-2nd goes all-in, 3rd folds, I call *Should I have backed down to the club threat?
-He shows 8c Jc! *Does he have business being in this hand? If I faced the same 200 chip raise in his position with 8c Jc, pre-flop, I would fold.

TURN: Ac *Dead
RIVER: Jh

I'm knocked out the tournament.

Any help/advice for future hands like this?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    1. Yes it's early
    2. Yes, the best position.
    3. You're not short stacked, just because others have more doesn't mean you're short stacked, you still have 50+ BBs.
    4. Very nice hand, although it's always nicer to get it later in a tournament than at the start.
    5. Waiting for good cards is definitely the way I'd suggest playing against wild players, as you can wait aruond and you'll get paid off when you hit your monster.
    6. Well it all depends on how rubbish the people's ranges are, some people will call with anything (especially in a freeroll). I might make it more like 280 because the 2 limpers plus blinds, there is already 140 in the pot before you raise, so it's not that big a raise.
    7. Again depends on their calling range, you'd like to think so. I'd be aware of and A on the flop as some players just won't fold Ax.
    8. You can't be scared of everything single draw that comes out, but you gotta put in a bet about 75% of the pot for you to get value and to make them pay if they wanna hit their flush.
    9. I probably make it more like 450-500 but I guess 800 isn't the end of the world. It's more often gonna win the pot there and then though, as appose to getting more value.
    10. No, at best he can only have 4 to the flush, so his odds of hitting it by the river are only about 4-1 or 5-1, aruond that area.
    11. I'd fold pre as well, especially with his stack and this early on. It's up to him if he wants to play but just know for future, he has a wide calling range pre. He's got a couple of draws but he has virtually no fold equity after your bet. You're just unlucky.
    12. Play the hand exactly the same, if this identical situation happens 5 times, you'll win 3-4 of them. You were just unlucky this time.

Hope this helps!
  • edited August 2011
    Pre is fine, when you raise you want calls from junk hands

Postflop, I bet less, around 3/4 pot and call it off. Villains call was bad pre, but he has hit a monster draw and has loads of outs on the flop. However we want people to make bad calls so dont worry about it

Lambert, he definitely is better than 4/1 to hit by river with a flushdraw, its more like 2/1, better if he has other outs
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Kc Kd:
    Pre is fine, when you raise you want calls from junk hands Postflop, I bet less, around 3/4 pot and call it off. Villains call was bad pre, but he has hit a monster draw and has loads of outs on the flop. However we want people to make bad calls so dont worry about it Lambert, he definitely is better than 4/1 to hit by river with a flushdraw, its more like 2/1, better if he has other outs
    Posted by grantorino
    sorry, you're right. I'm rubbish at working out them kinda betting odds, I find it much easier working it out as a percentage. With a flopped 4 flush it's about 36% chance of hitting the flush, right?