You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why can't I 3bet then fold here? 20nl**

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Guy is pretty solid, a winner at this level, not krazy, not a nit.

I've 3b him a few times but have no reason to believe he would 4b me with worse than Queens.

I beleive he will flat me with worse though, Maybe AQs, and deffo 88-JJ considering we're mdeepish....

So why is 3b/folding here so bad?????
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £43.50
elmo32 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £2.31
RyG Sit out     
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

tez104 Call  £0.20 £0.50 £34.11
xxxRaise  £1.00 £1.50 £32.87
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.60 £5.10 £39.90
elmo32 Fold     
tez104 Fold     
xxxRaise  £8.10 £13.20 £24.77
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Firstly it's 20NL. ;)

Second I prob find it hard to fold once I 3bet but guess it's deep so not too bad.
  • edited August 2011
    I dont think it is bad.  Its probably good, which is why he told you it was bad :p
  • edited August 2011
    It might be ok with solid reads. It depends how aggro he is, but he should be capable of playing back sometimes when you 3bet him a bit from these positions. on the other hand he prob mightnt like getting JJ across the line 150BB deep. Im shoving unless I'm pretty sure of my reads

Also bet you didnt fold, and if you did I wouldnt be showing
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Why can't I 3bet then fold here? 20nl**:
    It might be ok with solid reads. It depends how aggro he is, but he should be capable of playing back sometimes when you 3bet him a bit from these positions. on the other hand he prob mightnt like getting JJ across the line 150BB deep. Im shoving unless I'm pretty sure of my reads Also bet you didnt fold, and if you did I wouldnt be showing
    Posted by grantorino

I did fold...................

Simulatniously on the other table he got me w/AA v KK.

I wud normally b pleased with this fold, but reading forums and stuff, its like 3b folding good hands is rly bad.?

Im sure u must be over-estimating the skill level of micro players on sky??? I mean, this guy is one of the better players.....but still, why wud he do this light when theres millions of fish that will pay him?

I dunno...

• edited August 2011
    Ignoring your instincts is worse IMO
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Why can't I 3bet then fold here? 20nl** : I did fold................... Simulatniously on the other table he got me w/AA v KK. I wud normally b pleased with this fold, but reading forums and stuff, its like 3b folding good hands is rly bad.? Im sure u must be over-estimating the skill level of micro players on sky??? I mean, this guy is one of the better players.....but still, why wud he do this light when theres millions of fish that will pay him? I dunno...
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If you are sure of your read its prob fine. I think though folding the 3rd nuts pre at 20NL does require a pretty solid read, esp when you 3bet a btn open. 3b/f good hands is sometimes like turning them into a bluff (not saying thats the case here) which is why people generally dont like doing it. You are sometimes taking a hand with good value against villains opening range, but which doesnt play well against his 4betting range. If you do this you need to know he flats with a decent range of weaker hands.

As for why would he 4bet you light- because its very profitable if you fold everything except KK+ (bet you 3bet him light sometimes even though theres millions of fish). I think assuming he adjusts to being deep but doesnt adjust when you 3bet him a lot is prob a danerous assumption,whether he is good or bad
  • edited August 2011
    it completely depends who the villain is. there are some regs where i instantly shove here and some i snap fold.

• edited August 2011
    3b/f with qq is v.bad most of the time for obv reasons
    in this situation against that villain it's probz ok, you know how he plays AK? if he'd get AK in, i'd probz get it in here ... but i don't think the play is too bad here

• edited August 2011
    As the villian hereI had KK so was a good fold. Dohhhhh had 3 bet me a number of times across 3 or 4 tables in this session alone and hence I think my 4 bet range was slightly larger than he thought.

I did consider flatting the 3 bet, prepared to get it in on any flop.(i might hesitate slighty if an ace came down)

With position, how often is this a good policy against a good reg? Who is pretty certain to c bet any flop.
  • edited August 2011
    tis just because dohhhhhh is c r a p
  • edited August 2011
    As the villian hereI had KK so was a good fold. Dohhhhh had 3 bet me a number of times across 3 or 4 tables in this session alone and hence I think my 4 bet range was slightly larger than he thought. I did consider flatting the 3 bet, prepared to get it in on any flop.(i might hesitate slighty if an ace came down) With position, how often is this a good policy against a good reg? Who is pretty certain to c bet any flop.
    Posted by mattless
    well its certainly a better policy than 4betting if you 4bet so little he is likely to fold QQ.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Why can't I 3bet then fold here? 20nl** : well its certainly a better policy than 4betting if you 4bet so little he is likely to fold QQ.
    Posted by grantorino

I have to say I'm still amazed that he folded qq, especially as I had done some pretty spewy things in that session alone, not against him, but against others players

• ybyb
    edited August 2011
    As the villian hereI had KK so was a good fold. Dohhhhh had 3 bet me a number of times across 3 or 4 tables in this session alone and hence I think my 4 bet range was slightly larger than he thought. I did consider flatting the 3 bet, prepared to get it in on any flop.(i might hesitate slighty if an ace came down) With position, how often is this a good policy against a good reg? Who is pretty certain to c bet any flop.
    Posted by mattless
    it depends, if you 3b/4b as a bluff reasonably regularly vs him then i'd normally prefer to just 4bet because he is much more likely to get it in light and also to play back some of the time. if you don't do this very much and he likes to barrel often then this seems a good spot to flat.