You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best line on value vs two soft spots, all opinions welcome.

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Playing 50/1 live last night.  Was in the early hours, everyone is sat reasonably deep after scooping from sit downs.  I have around £350, button maybe £300 and SB above £500

Button is a spewbox that plays a super wide range that doesnt bluff and doesnt bet draws, but will call down massively disproportiante bets.  Often goes broke with one pair and reasonable draw

SB is normally pretty steady but has had way too many and is taking alot of shots light.  very capable of 3 and 4 betting light on any street.

I'm what I am, dont really know anymore.  Always a solid image, but my starting hand requirement has become questionable of late.  But most importantly the people I play against mostly know I know how to get paid, but will pick up a lot of pots.

Pretty spewy player opens button, for £3, SB calls I find A9o, probably behind buttons range but dont mind a peel

£9 in pot A99.  Button never has A's here, just have to figure out how to get paid.  AJ is definately in his rangte and he will go broke with 1pr here, no doubt.  SB can have anything, mood he's in he is easily EASILY capable of flatting 2 barrells then repping the 9 on river.

So in this particular spot, against these two players, with a pretty lively dynamic, 300+BB deep.  How do you play your hand?  (Spewbox is quite likely holding a reasonable A also).

Comments

• edited August 2011
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Best line on value vs two soft spots, all opinions welcome.:
    c/r bet shove
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

You know I'm not a fan of the C/R bud lol.

In this spot can I ask why do you advocate this line on flop?  Surely its only going to put opponent on back foot on later streets?  Am I not basically saying "I want you to commit chips on flop to inflate turn/river bets?"

Reason I ask is I very much wanted to keep the SB in with rags, allow him the opportunity to stab at turn/river, while keeping button involved through streets.  SB is hugely capable of trying to put me "between a rock and hard place" on turn/river" with a 3/4 bet.  Why take these creative plays off table?
  • ybyb
    edited August 2011
    given your reads he is never folding an ace (an maybe not even a random pocket pair), but he probably won't be raising if you lead out, so c/ring and then betting big on further streets is going to be the best way of getting most of the 300bb's over the line imo
  • edited August 2011
    I guess you both may be right.

I went for the c/c
    Lead turn strong, almost pot.
    Jam pot size bet river

When he calls at turn I figure he can only have a worse 9 or a decent K.  He'll most likely check river behind me if I give him option so have a pot sized bet behind on river so make it.  He hates it.  Says he doesnt think he's winning but doesnt think he can fold (which is why I opened large at turn so he'd feel priced a river).  He calls, I flip, he mucks.

So went down the C/C Lead Shove route.

Got to admit I dont love a chech raise on a board this dry.  Would you mind going through your thought process as to why you would?  FWIW my image is pretty strong here.
  • edited August 2011
    well I would think its going to be difficult to get both to stack off 300BB deep no matter what you do. Has sb checked flop?

Is SB playing wildly enough to try bluff you if btn is in hand?

Is btn bad enough to raise an A if you either lead or c/r him?

Also depends what they think your likely range is if you lead, c/c or c/r flop.
  • edited August 2011
    well I would think its going to be difficult to get both to stack off 300BB deep no matter what you do. True Has sb checked flop? YesIs SB playing wildly enough to try bluff you if btn is in hand? Most definately to first part.  Even more so to second part.  The bigger the pot gets too without seeming resistance, the more inclined he'll be to throw at a 3 bet on a street. Is btn bad enough to raise an A if you either lead or c/r him? No.  Also depends what they think your likely range is if you lead, c/c or c/r flop.  Not the most thinking players.  Lead or c/c is most likely an A in their mind (against better players I'd be more worried about the apparent passiveness).  A c/r will definately make them consider the 9, which I dont want to happen yet.
    Posted by grantorino
  • edited August 2011
    I see this situation very simply, they either have the hand to pay you off or they don't but they may improve

think I am c/r sometimes and other times c/c, either is good as long as you get the monies
    Just depends on players in the pot with you and also how they view you

You seem to know these players very well so you obviously made the right choice )

• edited August 2011
    I guess you both may be right. I went for the c/c Lead turn strong, almost pot. Jam pot size bet river When he calls at turn I figure he can only have a worse 9 or a decent K.  He'll most likely check river behind me if I give him option so have a pot sized bet behind on river so make it.  He hates it.  Says he doesnt think he's winning but doesnt think he can fold (which is why I opened large at turn so he'd feel priced a river).  He calls, I flip, he mucks. So went down the C/C Lead Shove route. Got to admit I dont love a chech raise on a board this dry.  Would you mind going through your thought process as to why you would?  FWIW my image is pretty strong here.
    Posted by AMYBR
    meant to ask is it rainbow board?

I think prob c/r and hope to stack btn with an A is prob the best option. If sb decides to go nuts thats a bonus. You have to raise at some point in hand and to me flop looks as good as any street to me, especially given it gives you 2 more streets you can lead big with a bloated pot. Leading might be good if you think btn will flat and sb might raise to rep a 9, but its tough to bluff at this board 3 way against you (who prob rarely leads here with air)and a fish who cant fold. If sb raises and you continue even fish mighnt like Ax.

Also the line of c/c flop lead turn always seems weird to me, if you are going to do this why not c/r flop?
  • edited August 2011
    Just to flesh out my distaste for the C/R.  I really am not a fan.  I respect it and think it can be utilsed to great effect.  My distaste for it may well be a hole in my overall game.

Thing is I would like to think I read well.  If I am c/r'sd I will either play the rest of the hand more cautiously, or use opponents perception of strength against him on streets.

I am FAR more likely to c/r weak than strong.  But strong I dont love the approach.  On a wet board I may utilise it depending on depth of stack, but in a spot where I am as strong as this its not something I would often be doing, as I always feel (perhaps too strongly) that when stacks are deep you are giving opponent the opportunity to get away from an Apic type hand.

If I am c/r'd on this board, myself holding AK I will then look to lose the min or cut a loss at turn/river depending on reads and player type/info from bet size.  I certainly will not look to push the envolope.

But I guess I'm showing why I'm not a successfull online player.  I do rely on reads and body language far too much!  Respect to you gentlemen :p
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Best line on value vs two soft spots, all opinions welcome. : meant to ask is it rainbow board? Cant rember in honesty, but i seem to remeber river was an utter brick I think prob c/r and hope to stack btn with an A is prob the best option. If sb decides to go nuts thats a bonus. You have to raise at some point in hand and to me flop looks as good as any street to me, especially given it gives you 2 more streets you can lead big with a bloated pot.  This is true.  But I also think c/r or leading flop will cause opponent to check behind through streets, most likely calling a turn bet but folding river. Leading might be good if you think btn will flat and sb might raise to rep a 9, but its tough to bluff at this board 3 way against you (who prob rarely leads here with air) (This is true) and a fish who cant fold. If sb raises and you continue even fish mighnt like Ax. Again very true Also the line of c/c flop lead turn always seems weird to me, if you are going to do this why not c/r flop?  I honestly think if I had c/r flop he would have looked to lose min or even duck out early.  Plan was to c/c flop, lead strong to commit at turn to jam river.  I think if I show a level of strength on flop on such a dry board he will quickly twig, He will call the c/r with an A, but most likely tank fold turn or check behind.  I prob dont c/r enough for a bluff to be in my range here.  Conversely I am hugely more likely to c/r weak than strong, so I should mix it up more.
    Posted by grantorino