You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Your Tournament Life

Hi guys,

just a quick bit of advice about tournament play.

think about what hand you would risk your tournament life on. In other words, what hand would you push all you chips in.

The blinds go up quickly in some tournies and might get short stacked, to the point of fold or push.

If you get dealt a premium hand with less then, (10 big blinds), then my advice is PUSH, PUSH, PUSH.

Some player think 8 or 6 big blinds, but for me it's 10, (each to their own).

Anyway, my point is. You do not want to get knocked out of a tourney pushing with an average hand or getting blinded out.

So if you do follow my stratagey and push with you premium hands when low stacked and you end up losing, then you can look back and think to your self.
Yes I lost to my premium hand, but I still made the correct play, I was unlucky.

Hope you see what I mean.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Your Tournament Life:
    Hi guys, just a quick bit of advice about tournament play. think about what hand you would risk your tournament life on. In other words, what hand would you push all you chips in. The blinds go up quickly in some tournies and might get short stacked, to the point of fold or push. If you get dealt a premium hand with less then, (10 big blinds), then my advice is PUSH, PUSH, PUSH. Some player think 8 or 6 big blinds, but for me it's 10, (each to their own). Anyway, my point is. You do not want to get knocked out of a tourney pushing with an average hand or getting blinded out. So if you do follow my stratagey and push with you premium hands when low stacked and you end up losing, then you can look back and think to your self. Yes I lost to my premium hand, but I still made the correct play, I was unlucky. Hope you see what I mean.
    Posted by RichiSwift
    Yes  your   right ..  but some tourneys are 7min 10min and 15 min blinds  also some are 6 seater ..some 10 seated. Also it  maybe bubble time and some players want to ladder for the cash...So many things  to take into consideration. How ever if your in it  to win it ..then yes you could be right  ..glk benny
  • edited October 2009
    Even an average hand becomes a monster later on in the tournies.

I too am of the internet pokerz school of thought that 10bb = all in with pretty much ATC however I feel that this may not be the best strategy on Sky and I think I might try and change my pushing ranges when shortstackd to see how it goes.
  • edited October 2009
     For me the important question is. Do you want a call?  If you dont want to be called then it is more a matter of who is to act after you and what their calling range is. If you feel you can get it through then 7 2 off is more than good enough. But if you want to be called to get a double up then you need to push into an agressive players blinds. My only strategy is avoid rag aces. They are to easily dominated. KQ is more preferable to A4.  The main thing is though to work out what story you want your raise to tell and who will believe it.The problem with relying on premium hands is that they do not arrive often enough and when you are getting low waiting is not an option. Also everyone here has had AA cracked enough times to not count your winnings when you are called.  But on the whole shoving with two raggy cards is infinitely more preferable to getting blinded out
  • edited October 2009
    I am much more old school on this subject. When im below 10 BB i will sit and wait (play BB hands if not raised) and when i do pick up my hand, then i push and usually pick up the blinds. Sit and wait till my next one (often they come in, in a row) people think im playing and pick a double or treble up the second time.

Usually works for me, often get into the cash this way, and if not, ill say well i waited till i had something, and someone better beat me fair play to them
  • edited October 2009
    thats not the way to win at poker don...
  • edited October 2009
    lol. alot of people disagree with it, i have found it a succsessful way. I know alot of the more "older" players agree with me. Although Tikay mentioned a quote on Sky Poker Channel the other day that even i cant top, he was down to one and a half big blinds going into the next day of a tournament and went on to win it.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Guys,
    I'll throw a thought in if thats ok.
    IMO, its not what two cards do you push with, as you CAN push with any two cards at any stage, but calling off your chips with junk is a different thing.
    However, the main things to think about are, what type of tourney, how deep into the the tourney,number of players left, payout positions, fast or slow structure.
    In deeper structures late on the number of BB's can be lower than 10 to push with any 2.
    On the other side of that, in the Velosity then your pushing earlier.
    IMO the most stupid way of going out of a tourney is to get blinded away. I would rather go allin with 32off utg rather than blind away.

col
  • edited October 2009
    Too many times, you have seen your tournament life get blinded away. Happens to everyone at some stage.
    It just may be the case you cant get to push in an unopened pot or your under the gun cards have been too weak.

It happens, I have passed and hoped for a better position and unfortunately one never came. The result is when I did eventually push, the blinds had gone up or I was so short there was no fold equity.

Just keep looking for those spots once you are less than about 9 x BB. Better to go out in a blaze of glory than wimper out when you only have 2 x bb left and as a reuslt get five callers.

The cards are irrelevant. From the small blind with enough chips behind you, the range can be very wide. If you have the chips, it will take a brave call or a monster for anyone to take you on.