You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hmmm! Bet or check.

What do you do here? Fairly readless, he'd been involved a bit but not too much so thought he was reasonably solid. As the hand was playing i thought he must have been drawing to somesort of hand. The river is a horrendous card for me.

Stack size is awkard to the end, bet, check  and what size? If i set him in i cant see something like 9x calling or even 2 pair. Am i only getting called by a hand that beats me? If i bet and he shoves i have to call right? If i check, only a weaker hand will check behind. urghhh! Help please.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DrSharp Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.03
xBig blind  £0.08 £0.12 £6.62
  Your hole cards

bolly580 Fold     
Rusty4 Fold     
OBECALP Fold     
fafnir Fold     
DrSharp Raise  £0.22 £0.34 £7.81
xCall  £0.18 £0.52 £6.44
Flop

DrSharp Bet  £0.52 £1.04 £7.29
xCall  £0.52 £1.56 £5.92
Turn

DrSharp Bet  £1.56 £3.12 £5.73
xCall  £1.56 £4.68 £4.36
River

DrSharp

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Raise much bigger pre, something like 40p, good bet on the flop, good again on the turn. I see you're problem on the river, I don't think you should bet out, I'd c/c, I doubt he would shove for value with the straight.
  • edited August 2011
    If i raise 40p, i miss the flop approx 6 out of 7 times and with me to act first it makes my c-bet uncomfortably big. This way allows me to pot bet him all-in on the river if i hit and also make my c-bets cheaper. Am i wrong in thinking this way?

I prefer check call on the end myself as it allows him to bluff the river. He would shove the straight as his stack is less than the pot. I'm defo calling any river bet right?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Hmmm! Bet or check.:
    Raise much bigger pre, something like 40p, good bet on the flop, good again on the turn. I see you're problem on the river, I don't think you should bet out, I'd c/c, I doubt he would shove for value with the straight.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Why raise 5x? So that when you get called, your oop in a much bigger pot with a very marginal value hand? 3x is fine. 

Bet flop bet turn sure, but I disagree with c/c, villain wont be betting anything apart from a straight on the river (or bluffs). Bet small, fold to reraise is a much better line at this level.

edit. Ive just noticed missed diamonds. I still don't like c/c but I guess its villain dependant if they bluff missed flush draws
  • edited August 2011
    i probz c/f
    raise pre is fine
    i probz wouldnt bet full pot on both flop & turn
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Hmmm! Bet or check. : Why raise 5x? So that when you get called, your oop in a much bigger pot with a very marginal value hand? 3x is fine.  Bet flop bet turn sure, but I disagree with c/c, villain wont be betting anything apart from a straight on the river (or bluffs). Bet small, fold to reraise is a much better line at this level. edit. Ive just noticed missed diamonds. I still don't like c/c but I guess its villain dependant if they bluff missed flush draws
    Posted by CoxyLboro

What does he call me with on the river? I think he folds any other hands that i beat even for 2 quid. Not arguing with anyone, just an interesting spot and was unsure what to do.

• edited August 2011
    i probz c/f raise pre is fine i probz wouldnt bet full pot on both flop & turn
    Posted by percival09

Thanks for the input. Yeah, was a bit aggressive but i bet pot to take the odds off the flush draw on the flop and once he insta called that i thought i could get away with another which i did and that meant he was set in on the river until....

At this level, pot size bets usually get called.

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Hmmm! Bet or check. : What does he call me with on the river? I think he folds any other hands that i beat even for 2 quid. Not arguing with anyone, just an interesting spot and was unsure what to do.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Don't question what people will call with at these levels, some people find calls with the most ridiculous hands. Once you get to above, say, NL20, then you have to start considering whether they can call with worse, and thus is it a value bet or a bluff catcher. You'd kick yourself if they had slowplayed aces which you know they are never folding on any river.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Hmmm! Bet or check. : Don't question what people will call with at these levels, some people find calls with the most ridiculous hands. Once you get to above, say, NL20, then you have to start considering whether they can call with worse, and thus is it a value bet or a bluff catcher. You'd kick yourself if they had slowplayed aces which you know they are never folding on any river.
    Posted by CoxyLboro
     Cheers, much appreciated Coxy.
  • edited August 2011

Make a note of this villian to overbet vs in future.

• edited August 2011
    he is either beating you on the flop with str/set and /or rivered str or you have him beat
    could be missed combo draw

b/f - basically bet the amount you would pay off on that board if you had overpair/2 pr or set 6's

• edited August 2011
    I'd probably put a stopper in like £1.50 then snap fold if raised.