You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Accused of slowroll, seemed like a tricky spot? You decide I guess

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
[  ]  slowroll
[x]  loose call

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Playing 50/£1.  I've not long lost a huge chunk of my stack  on this board:

56729 rainbow (effective) board with K8.  C/c two streets, tank calling a jam on river, opponent holding 810o

Not tilted, if anything more focused as winner is a soft spot and am eager to get money back.

Anywho, get down to 3 handed while waiting for seats to fill.

I'm in BB, button limps, SB limps, I find KdQd, make it £4.5 to go.  Button folds.

SB is a solid player, knows how to get value, has moves, is one of the only players I have to worry about at full table.  He completes.

£10.5 to flop.  I have maybe £125 behind, he has me hugely covered, £400+

Qh9h4s.

He checks flop, I lead £8.5.  He thinks for awhile then jams (c/r allin), covering me.  He knows my range here is pretty narrow.  Figure he must have 2 hearts, 2pr, 10J or possibly set.  I tank for quite awhile, mainly putting him on the draw and deciding if I want to flip against if for 120BB's.  His Jam screams huge draw.

I tank and tank and tank.  But call.  I do the honourable thing and put my chips in, flipping my hand at same time.  He is extremely unhappy, flipping Q7 and being aggro accusing me of slow roll.  I win, but try to explain that was simply trying to figure where I was.  I  am pretty tight for my stack.  After leading and getting jammed on there, I expect opponent to have at least a combo draw.  Also opponent is a thinking player, who knows me well enough to suspect I'm strong.  Also knowing I'm slightly steamed and likely to call.  Almost as though he wants a call.

Bt nothing wrong with holding back and thinking/considoring your read ,IMO.  Snap calls are bad calls.

Perhaps underleveling?

I though this spot needed consideration.  How many of you think its a slowroll?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Accused of slowroll, seemed like a tricky spot? You decide I guess:
    [  ]  slowroll [x]  loose call
    Posted by yb
    Agree that it is a vulnerable one pair hand but we are talking 3 handed BonB, with reads.

So if you are more inclined to class it as a loose call, there would still need to be a thought process/thinking time to find a range.  So definately not a slowroll then.................? :p

Just was annoyed as didnt seem like a slowroll to me as the board is so wet and opponent knows I dont play for stacks often.  But on the other hand: this hand, this board, 3 handed BonB i figured he may have a slight point :p
  • edited August 2011

Nothing wrong with thinking about your plays before you make them its something i need to learn to do more often. Its not a clean cut call as you know. Maybe he was just annoyed that his bluff was called and trying to find fault with your play because he lost

• edited August 2011
    gota agree with yb i cant believe your accused of a slowroll on whats a very tough call. i hope you took the other 300+
  • edited August 2011
    Why do people get so annoyed with slowroll anyway? Its just as legitimate as table talk for me. Getting under oppo's skin etc. OK, with quads or absolute nuts then id be annoyed but here, losing to a better kicker this guy needs to lighten up.
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe he thinks you view him as a bit loose and plays a wide range for him to say you slow rolled
    It implies that v him this is an easy call :S

depends how long you tanked for but hey ho ... i would tank for a short while in this spot 
  • edited August 2011
    Tanked for maybe minute and half/2 minutes, so not hugely long.  Probably just overestimate him.  If he doesnt understand why its not a snap call then I dont see any reason fill him in.
  • edited August 2011
    SB limps
    SB is a solid player
    SB limps
    SB is a solid player
    SB limps
    SB is a solid player
    SB limpsSB is a solid player

I snap call, he can't have 99, QQ, AQ, so that leaves Q9 and bottom set and draws. We have a blocker to 2 pair.

You have to think about how your hand impacts the combonations of hands in their range otherwise descisions that are not close will seem close.

It's obv not a deliberate slowroll though, it's more of a nitroll, and his shove is abso terrible.

Disregard yb, he is a nti who post's check boxes because he lacks wit and ability to properly analyse hands.
  • edited August 2011
    IMO he can only blame himself calling your initial raise with Q/7 yes he hits top pair and his bet is to narrow your options but great call and yes the timer is on there for a reason so why not play it down and think before you muck or call.Well done for the call.I was on 50/1 yesterday and it flopped 995 ,i had AK into a pot of 12.00 i makle it pot size and the player 4 rams it in right on the end of the timer, thankfully i folded as he showed QUAD 9s BUT WHY ON EARTH DID HE JAM ?glad he did though..
  • ybyb
    edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Accused of slowroll, seemed like a tricky spot? You decide I guess:
    SB limps SB is a solid player SB limps SB is a solid player SB limps SB is a solid player SB limps SB is a solid player I snap call, he can't have 99, QQ, AQ, so that leaves Q9 and bottom set and draws. We have a blocker to 2 pair. You have to think about how your hand impacts the combonations of hands in their range otherwise descisions that are not close will seem close. It's obv not a deliberate slowroll though, it's more of a nitroll, and his shove is abso terrible. Disregard yb, he is a nti who post's check boxes because he lacks wit and ability to properly analyse hands.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    lolol I was tired tbf. yeah we lose to a very narrow range but when live 'solid' players shove like this they normally have it imo, the only reason i'd be tempted to call is that the board is so draw heavy.

good to see you back on the forum btw.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Accused of slowroll, seemed like a tricky spot? You decide I guess : lolol I was tired tbf. yeah we lose to a very narrow range but when live 'solid' players shove like this they normally have it imo, the only reason i'd be tempted to call is that the board is so draw heavy. good to see you back on the forum btw.
    Posted by yb
    ;) just messin with you bruv, I know you're one of the more competant ones here
  • edited August 2011
    Agree with the live shove comment.

Yeah I know the math and was very concious of the blockers.  But opponent ordinarily would (or should) only have a 40% type hand here.

Question then becomes do you really need to take the race for 120bigs with no significant edge?
  • edited August 2011
    No way is this a slowroll, it is a call for reasons ladyfingers gives but I would think most good players would think for a while here. Also I have no real idea but I would imagine you are generally taking your time with decisions from way you post here.

Also I think not taking a flip (if you think it is a flip or you are slightly ahead) here would be pretty bad

lol at this guy being solid, limp call Q7 pre, then shove TPNK
  • edited August 2011
    I think he just put me on Ax and didnt want to face a bet at turn so was happy taking pot + perceived c-bet.

Yeah I never act that fast in any spot, unless its a no brainer, which this wasnt.

Dont know if I agree with you on opting not to take a flip being bad here bud.  Am never really going to be happy getting 120 bigs in with only a slight edge.  I flip bad :p.  But we dont have to flip in these spots IMO.  We can do, its not wrong.  But if we can put opponent on 2hearts with a pair / or other combo draw we dont have to call, that not being wrong either

It is slightly risk averse I agree, but there's alot of that in my game these days.  You know the type of games I play, with so much soft money there's no real need to take the flips.  Money is most likely coming in my direction in safer spots throughout evening.
  • edited August 2011
    well, I think if you are slightly the right side of a flip getting better than even money, theres not much reason to turn it down, unless you tilt very easily or are underrolled but w/e