You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (27th/28th)

edited August 2011 in Betting Chat
It's the weekend again & we're back to proper footy. It's a long weekend too so let's hope we can find some winners.

I've gone for three different bets this weekend.

Main Acca:

Chelsea/Norwich - Over 2.5 goals @ 8/15
Brighton/Peterborough - Over 2.5 goals @ 4/7
Middlesbrough to beat Coventry (H) @ 4/6
MK Dons to beat Stevenage (H) @ 4/5

These four pay a very reasonable 6/1.

Sooner or later Chelsea are gonna totally wallop someone & Norwich could be the fall guys. AVB's men have made a stuttering start to the season by their standards & will be keen to get going. Juan Mata has joined from Valencia this week & should make his debut, albeit most likely from the bench. He'll certainly add some pace to the side as well as more attacking options. Norwich were walloped 0-4 at home to MK Dons in the cup in midweek & it's not as if they fielded a reserve side either. They put out a side that, on paper at least, were more than strong enough to see off the challenge but they failed miserably. The last three most recent meetings between these two have produced at least 3 goals in the game. 
Probably like everyone else I'm expecting plenty of goals at the Amex tomorrow afternoon. They shared 4 goals between them at the Withdean last season & so far both sides have continued where they left off. Brighton were 2-0 up at home to Blackpool last weekend only to let it slip & had to settle for a point in the end. They've played 2 at their new home so far & have conceded in both. In 6 league & cup games so far Peterborough have yet to keep a clean sheet whilst they've only failed to score in one of them. Both sides have got goals in them & backing the overs market gave slightly better odds than the both to score which is why I've gone for it.
Middlesbrough were my outside picks for the league this season & they've got off to a really good start. Despite an opening day draw at home to Portsmouth they've won their 3 league games since as well as their 2 cup games. Last weekend they saw off newly relegated Birmingham at the Riverside & Coventry should pose less of a threat. Coventry couldn't really have made a worse start if they'd tried. They've only a single point from their opening four league games, which came at home to Watford last weekend, whilst they were also dumped out of the league cup at the first hurdle against League 1 Bury. Goals were a problem for them last term & it looks as though it could be an even bigger problem this time round after the loss of Marlon King during the summer. I honestly thought Boro would be a shorter price than this so this looks good value as part of an acca.
MK Dons have made a cracking start to their season with 3 wins & a draw in their opening 4 league games. They're also in the hat for the league cup 3rd round draw on Saturday too thanks to a crushing 4-0 win at Norwich in midweek. Despite losing star striker Sam Baldock to my boys today (GET IN!), they've still got plenty of fire power & also brought in Charlie MacDonald from Brentford to replace Baldock. They were fantastic at Stadium:MK last season and despite an opening day draw there with Hartlepool I expect more of the same this time round too, particularly after putting 6 past Chesterfield last weekend. Stevenage are the visitors this weekend & tbh, had this game been at the Lamex I probably would've avoided it. On the face of it Stevenage have made a decent enough start to life in League 1 with 3 draws & a win. Their win came on the road at Bournemouth the other week after the Cherries were reduced to 10 men & tomorrow's trip will provide them with their most difficult test yet. I expect them to run MK Dons close but I expect them to come away empty handed.

Both to Score Acca:

Villa/Wolves @ 5/6
Brighton/Peterborough @ 4/9
Palace/Blackpool @ 4/5
Hull/Reading @ 5/6
Ipswich/Leeds @ 8/15
Leicester/Southampton @ 8/11
Port Vale/Southend @ 5/6

These 7 potentially return a lip smacking 41/1 & with the bets being live for the full 90 minutes (or 98 if being played at Old Trafford ;) ) it's well worth a go.

The problem with these derby games is they're either gonna produce bags of goals or none at all. As it is, only one of the last 4 meetings in recent years has seen only one of the sides score & both sides have goals in them. Steven Fletcher has got of to a good start for Wolves so far whilst Darren Bent is gonna be a handful for almost any defence.
TBH, I think Brighton & Peterborough speak for themselves in this one. Two free scoring sides who like to play attacking football is always likely to produce goals which explains the short price. Despite the short price you just can't leave this one out though.
It was Palace's home form that kept them up last term & have carried on this term with maximum points from both games there so far. However, Blackpool are one of those sides that just attack & as they proved last weekend at Brighton, they don't know when they're beaten. With that mind set & Kevin Philips up top they're more than capable of getting goals in South London along with their hosts.
In the four league meetings between Hull & Reading both sides have scored in each of them. Three of the games have ended in 1-1 draws & I fancy it could well be a similar story at the KC tomorrow. 
In their 4 league games Ipswich & Leeds have scored a combined total of 13 goals whilst conceding 20! On paper this should have goals written all over it & if Leeds play anywhere near as good as they did at our place last week then they're nailed on to get a goal or two. The Tractor boys know they need a big performance for their fans this weekend after letting in 7 at Peterborough last weekend so will be going for it too.
Leicester were pre season favourites & whilst they haven't got off to the sort of start they would've liked they're certainly providing value for money in terms of goals in their games. Southampton have won all their games so far but this should be their sternest test so far. It's difficult to call a winner here but there should at least be some goals.
Port Vale have made an OK start to the season with their only defeat coming in the league cup at home to Huddersfield. However, they've yet to keep a clean sheet & that will give Southend some hope for their trip North. Despite losing their last two Southend do have goals in them & if Neil Harris gets a sniff he's more than capable of putting it away.

Long Shot Acca:

Chelsea to score 3+ @ evens
Hull/Reading - DRAW @ 12/5
Sheff Utd to beat Yeovil (A) @ evens
Preston to beat Notts Co (H) @ 5/6
Charlton to beat Bury (A) @ 6/4
Crawley to beat Cheltenham (A) @ 4/5

These 6 potentially return a Gervinho girly slapping 111/1 so only small stakes for some extra fun

Chelsea have scored at least 3 against Norwich in their last 3 meetings in recent times & whilst the Blues haven't got out of 1st gear yet this price demands attention. I said earlier that they're going to give someone a good hiding sooner or later & this could be it.
Hull & Reading have met 4 times in the league in recent years & 3 of those have finished all square. Given the starts that both sides have made this was well worthy of inclusion.
Sheffield United have made a good start in their attempt to get straight back to the Championship with 3 wins & a draw in their opening 4 games. On paper they really should win in Somerset. However this has potential to bust a few coupons as the Glovers will be relying on home results to keep them up this term. 
Preston started slowly with a 4-2 defeat on the opening day ay home to Colchester but they're undefeated since that game with 2 wins & a draw. County lost on their travels at Wednesday last weekend & I can't see them coming away from Deepdale with anything either.
Charlton have a similar record to Sheff Utd with 3 wins & a draw in their opening games. Bury certainly won't make it easy for them at Gigg Lane tomorrow but this price simply can't be ignored given the fact that they're unbeaten so far. Bury have made a decent start themselves but have already been beaten on their own patch by Carlisle.
Crawley were the pre season favourites for league 2 & have wasted no time in showing why with 3 wins & a draw in their opening games. They travel to a Macclesfield side who have struggled for the past few years now but are always capable of springing a surprise when you least expect it. They've only picked up a single point from their two games at Moss Rose so far.

Good luck if you're having a go this weekend.

Jay

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Bleedin thing logged me out as I posted! Obviously the above is from me :)
  • edited August 2011
    i really need a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here goes gl all with bets

5accum everton,sunderland,leicester,middelsbourgh @ millwall all to win pays 218.12
    same @ half time 3euro pays 376.99

3 accum all to win bournemouth,huddersfield,sheff weds,bristolrovers,northampton @ oxford pays 107.50
    halftime result pays 373.13 3euro staked

correct score bookies basher all 2-1

millwall
    mk dons
    rochdale
    bradford
    plymouth

10#10c trebles
    5#10c 4fold
    50c accum  3 correct and a return 4 nice return and 5 bingo 16 bets cost 2euro
  • edited August 2011
    1euro player to score anytime

t.cahlill eve
    torres che
    aguero city
    long wba
    jelavic rangers
    stokes celtic

pays  67.83
  • edited August 2011
    early kick off longshot.

Wolves
    Leeds 
    Sunderland
    everton.

68/1, Just a Squid!

Main Bet

Donny
    Southampton
    Reading

9 quid on @ 13/1

B.O.L all!

• edited August 2011
    Hopefully my winning streak continues...

Villa(d), Blackburn(d), Wigan(d) £10@ 35.91
    Swansea(d), Blackburn(d), Villa(d) £10@ 35.91
    Wigan, Sunderland, Everton, Wolves £10@ 58.22
    Chelsea, Liverpool, Swansea, Everton, Wigan, Villa £10@ 42.06
    QPR, Swansea, Blackburn(d), Villa £10@ 50.17
    Wolves, Blackburn, Swansea(d) £10@ 37.78
    Blackburn vs. Everton(under 2.5 goals) £300@ 1.61
  • edited August 2011
    Few bets for me today:

Southampton
    Leeds

£30 Double returns approx £230

Middlesborough
    Millwall
    MK Dons

£10 Treble @ 4/1

Chelsea v Norwich +1.5 goals in first half £50 @6/5

Chelsea to score 2+ in first half £80 @ 7/4

Chelsea to score 3+ in game £50 @ 5/6

Good luck everyone!!

• edited August 2011
    I have placed 2 nice bets today =)

£5 acc

Chelsea
    Middlesbrough
    Sheffield Utd
    MK Dons
    Crawley

Total win - £72.86

£5 acc

Chelsea
    Leeds
    Cardiff
    Sheffield Utd
    Huddesfield
    MK Dons
    Sheffield Wed

Total win - £506.46

Granted the 7fold is ambitious but i dont like winning small amounts =p would rather win 2-3 big bets a season lol so whats everyone think? good bets or wasted tenner =p
  • edited August 2011
    Sorry Silentbob your longshot wont come off charlton are going to be bashed by thr Bishop! Just put a quid on him scoring a Hat Trick, bit hopefull I know but with Sky Bet I got 66/1 compared to 50/1 being offered by the other betting site I use!
  • edited August 2011

VILLA £20 @ Evens. what a sh`ite game.
    ---------------------
    BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE

/ BRIGHTON V PETERBOROUGH 1/2
    / IPSWICH V LEEDS / 8/15 win
    / LEICESTER V SOUTHAMPTON / 8/11 win.

£10 @ 3/1.
    --------------
    BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE

BLACKBURN / HOW MANY PENALTIES DO YOU NEED BEFORE YOU SCORE
    / BRIGHTON I HATE ALL MANAGERS NAMED FERGUSON !!!!!
    / CRYSTAL PALACE / win.
    / DONCASTER / win.
    / IPSWICH / win.
    / LEICESTER / win.
    / PORTSMOUTH / win.
     BOURNEMOUTH / YOUR AT HOME WHY THE **** CANT YOU SCORE
     BRENTFORD / DITTO ABOVE
    / COLCHESTER / win.

£1 @ 271/1

HERE`S HOPING
    ------------------
    HAHA THAT FEELS BETTER,
    NOW TO GO AND CHASE MY LOSSES ELSEWHERE.

• edited August 2011
    only done one bet for today, win treble 
    Chelsea win
    Brighton win
    Liverpool win

• edited August 2011
    also done one for tomorrow Newcastle win at evens against Fulham, can't really see us losing this one at St James
  • edited August 2011
    Yet again one team lets me down in my accumulator, however i had belief in Ipswich to win today and placed my free £5 bet on Town to win 2-1, returned a nice £40. 
  • edited August 2011
    When was the last time anyone got a bet up?

It's impossible.

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (27th/28th):
    When was the last time anyone got a bet up? It's impossible.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The first week of the season i couldn`t do no wrong, I even won a caption comp for entry into Take On Tikay, which I came 2nd in & next day had all 3 of my bets up. But since then EVERY bet i`ve done has gone down, I think it`s all down to Bio-rhythms, when they are up you cant do no wrong, when they are down your fcuked, just gotta work out the right time.
  • edited August 2011
    It was looking good for a while but it wasn't to be.

Never mind, there's a few games tomorrow so I've gone for a cheeky little 4 way

Newcastle to beat Fulham (H) @ evens
    Man City to beat Spurs (A) @ 6/4
    Man Utd to beat Arsenal (H) @ 4/9
    Forest/West Ham - Both to score @ 4/5

These 4 return a bankroll boosting 12/1

Fulham have had the better of Newcastle in recent meetings with 3 wins & a draw but I have a sneaky feeling about this one. Newcastle have started the season well with an opening day draw against Arsenal & an away win at rivals Sunderland last weekend. They've yet to concede in the league so far & have a great chance of keeping another clean sheet tomorrow. Fulham come into this game on the back of two defeats, both of which came on the road at Wolves & Dnipro in the Europa league. I don't expect this to be a high scoring game but I think Newcastle will sneak it.
    City have shown that they want to taken as serious title contenders this season & have made some fantastic signings this summer. They've won their opening two games so far & I fancy them to take the points in North London too. Spurs won't make life easy for City but they've a few injuries & with Adebayor unable to make his debut this weekend, I'm just not sure exactly where their goals will come from. 
    In all the years I've been betting I don't recall ever seeing Man Utd priced this short against Arsenal at home. Arsenal are looking shaky right now & I really don't fancy their chances of grabbing a top 4 finish this year tbh. Fabregas & Nasri have finally gone (thank God for that cos I was bored of reading the same stories everyday) & they've got injury & suspension problems left, right & centre. United have started the season well with maximum points in their opening two games & they really should make it 3 from 3 tomorrow. They've got goals in them from all over the pitch & it's for that reason I'm taking the small price on offer.
    So far my boys have kept two clean sheets in our two games away from the Boleyn this season but Forest are gonna provide a sterner test than what we've had on our travels so far. We met Forest at our place in the cup last season in a game that produced 5 goals & I fancy they'll be at least a couple of goals tomorrow (especially if Illunga is still playing left back for us :( ).
  • edited August 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I've yet to have a single winner so far this season not even in the £10 challenge (I might have to give that a miss for a couple of weeks until pay day).

Thing is, unlike poker once you've placed your bet(s) your in the hands of others. Who'd have thought Peterborough would forget how to score today? Who'd have thought Coventry would've got anything from Boro today?

I'm confident that I'll get a few winners in sooner or later. Don't forget, it's still early doors so in some respects we're all betting a little bit blind with next to no real form to go by.
  • edited August 2011
    Few bets for me today: Southampton Leeds £30 Double returns approx £230 Middlesborough Millwall MK Dons £10 Treble @ 4/1 Chelsea v Norwich +1.5 goals in first half £50 @6/5 Chelsea to score 2+ in first half £80 @ 7/4 Chelsea to score 3+ in game £50 @ 5/6 Good luck everyone!!
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Wow _ you must have been cursing Chelseaa until the last minute _ It seems Mata with his last minute goal turned your bets around - Nice bet 
  • edited August 2011
    Hopefully my winning streak continues... Villa(d), Blackburn(d), Wigan(d) £10@ 35.91 Swansea(d), Blackburn(d), Villa(d) £10@ 35.91 Wigan, Sunderland, Everton, Wolves £10@ 58.22 Chelsea, Liverpool, Swansea, Everton, Wigan, Villa £10@ 42.06 QPR, Swansea, Blackburn(d), Villa £10@ 50.17 Wolves, Blackburn, Swansea(d) £10@ 37.78 Blackburn vs. Everton(under 2.5 goals) £300@ 1.61
    Posted by offshoot
    Nice bet offshoot - Was just looking through - lose £10 . lose £10 etc and then a grt bet on the end for a good day . A bit lucky as well by the sounds of it with the penlty misses

There is a site offering money back if there is a penaalty scored in the game . i might do a few bets on that site nxt week 
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (27th/28th) : I've yet to have a single winner so far this season not even in the £10 challenge (I might have to give that a miss for a couple of weeks until pay day). Thing is, unlike poker once you've placed your bet(s) your in the hands of others. Who'd have thought Peterborough would forget how to score today? Who'd have thought Coventry would've got anything from Boro today? I'm confident that I'll get a few winners in sooner or later. Don't forget, it's still early doors so in some respects we're all betting a little bit blind with next to no real form to go by.
    Posted by silentbob
    I think its  difficult time at this stage of the season as anyone can win 3 or 4 games on the trot but it doesn,t men they should be strting s such favourites.

i lost £200 on the first day of the season on Chelsea - Won £50 on a £10 Liverpool Sunderland draw, but have only had 1 bet which was  £5 risk free one which I had on Barca to win 2-0 which paid off

No bets for me this weekend - I,d rather put pre-season bets on as it saves money each week but you,ve still got an interest

Although QPR lost today it sounds like they were unlucky and will be adding to the team in the next few days and I still fancy them for the handicap betting on the Premiership

Apart from that just hoping one of my top goalscorers comes through - Dzeko, Ballotelli, Carrol or Kenwyn Jones, although I wish i,d backed Adebayour before he moved to Spurs as it would have been a gret price and Mata looks a threat now after scoring on his debut for Chelsea and Drogba suffering a serious injury 
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (27th/28th) : Nice bet offshoot - Was just looking through - lose £10 . lose £10 etc and then a grt bet on the end for a good day . A bit lucky as well by the sounds of it with the penlty misses There is a site offering money back if there is a penaalty scored in the game . i might do a few bets on that site nxt week 
    Posted by MP33
    Yeah also put £600 on over 2.5 goals in the liverpool game at 1-0 so another great weekend so far.
  • edited August 2011
    Ok i know its a very long shot but im going ARSENAL an amazing 11/2 yes 11/2 to beat utd .I am not sure it will happen but 20.00 says i have to bet it ..Will also back 2 v3 , 3 2,, Forest West ham...
  • edited August 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Its the curse of the forum, post your bet on here and kiss your money goodbye lol
  • edited August 2011
    only done one bet for today, win treble  Chelsea win Brighton win Liverpool win
    Posted by BIGAL118
    nice return for me today, now just need the toon to turn up tomorrow for an even better weekend
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (27th/28th) : Its the curse of the forum, post your bet on here and kiss your money goodbye lol
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    I fri ggin tell ya thats the truth, it`s not bio-rhythms it`s the CURSE OF THE FORUM.
  • edited August 2011
    seemed to forget to bet on united to win this weekend, what was wrong with me. men vs boys
  • edited August 2011
    What a day!

Maximum points & another 4 goals ffor my boys, Spurs get spanked at home & my 12/1 shot romps in for my first win of the season :)

Must admit, it felt strange semi-celebrating Forest's goal earlier as they were looking more & more like they wouldn't get one. 

It reminds me of a game at home to Plymouth back in 2005 when we were last in the Championship. Me & my brother always used to stick a couple of bets on in the stadium & we fancied we were gonna get a big win that day so each had a fiver on us to win 4-0 @ 66/1. So there we were, 4-0 up with about 7-8 minutes to go & we get a penalty. We got a few strange looks when we were mildly celebrating Teddy Sheringham's miss. Unfortunately the ref made him take it again & he put it away :(
  • edited August 2011
    only me who had Welbeck fgs united to win 8-2? returned £4,443 from £1.50 :)
  • edited August 2011
    only me who had Welbeck fgs united to win 8-2? returned £4,443 from £1.50 :)
    Posted by percival09
    For real? I know I like a little long shot but not even I would've backed that!
  • edited August 2011
    I think The odds would of been alot higher for that scorecast lol !

• edited August 2011
    Had a nice £10 double on Manchester City and Stoke to both win at 7/1 only won because i didnt post it in the forum haha ;)