You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right to push?

Dudeskin8 Small blind  75.00 75.00 1475.00
seant Big blind  150.00 225.00 2285.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

BigFeller Fold     
3052 Call  150.00 375.00 1080.00
leakes Fold     
BigBotty Fold     
Dudeskin8 All-in  1475.00 1850.00 0.00
seant Call  1400.00 3250.00 885.00
3052 All-in  1080.00 4330.00 0.00
Flop

• K

Turn

River

• Q

Dudeskin8 Show
  • J
  • J

seant Show
  • K

3052 Show

seant Win Two Pairs, Kings and 10s 4330.00  5215.00
Less than 10 BB's so wern't in the mood to raise get called then have to fold when the Ace/King flops, but should I have minraised?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    no shove you might not get a better spot tho some of the sharks on here might disagree
  • edited October 2009
    SORRY M8 ALL IN PRE FLOP WITH JACKS YOUR ASKING FOR A BAD BEAT 600 RAISE PREFLOP GIVES YOU A GET OUT IF THE FLOPS UNKIND IF YOU GET RERAISED PREFLOP YOUVE GOT TO ALL IN BUT THE K 10 MIGHT FOLD TO A RAISE. ALL IN HES GOT A CHANCE OF LUCKING ALL YOUR CHIPS AGAINS ANYHAND.WITH JJ YOUVE GOT 12 OVERCARDS AGAINST YOU BEFORE YOU FACTOR IN FLUSH AND STAIGHT DRAWS.
  • edited October 2009
    I agree with the above statement, i never fold a pocket pair above 9 pre-flop but i do admit, i would not have triggered the All-in button on Jacks either. I struggle to do that with Aces if i have more than 2 BB left.

Having said that im an extremely passive player who will wait and wait and i very rarley double up with "One Pair" Usually hit the all in button once thats moved into two pair, or trips. If i hit top straight or flush i usually play that slow aggressive. Usually trying to disguiese that fact i have them.
  • edited October 2009

Pushing with Jacks here is perfectly acceptable as long as you are happy to accept that if you are unlucky you might run into an overpair.

However, in this situation both calls by k10 and 88 are somewhere between poor and lamentable.

• edited October 2009
    personally I'm shoving here all day long. 10xBB & a premium pocket pair, no questions. The way I see it there's only 3better starting hands and if someone doesn't have one of those then they've still got to hit.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Right to push?:
    personally I'm shoving here all day long. 10xBB & a premium pocket pair, no questions. The way I see it there's only 3better starting hands and if someone doesn't have one of those then they've still got to hit.
    Posted by silentbob
    agree.
  • edited October 2009
    Cheers silent bob, i was starting to doubt myself with the earlier comments.
  • edited October 2009
    6 players left, not much breathing room with fast escalating blinds and less than 10 x bb left. Still a push with fingers crossed that no one has a bigger hand. Jacks are the sort of hand where you want to take the pot down without seeing a flop as at least 30% of the time there will be an over on the board.

The call from the king ten was very weak but hey, if he hits he doubles up and is virtually safe for a cash. He had a decent stack but was risking 75% of it here. And the call by the eights was terrible. 2 all ins in front and still holds faith in his eights?

Unusual to see still 6 players left at this level so something was going to give soon, you were just unfortunate to catch one of the three outers the k 10 held.

You were about a 55/45 fave against 2 other all ins. I'm sure Merenovice can work the exact odds out for me so, as such, you were effectively racing.

Nothing wrong with your play without doubt but the calls were weak. But then again weak calls ultimately gives us profits.

Ultimately it would have been better to shove on an unopened pot and as someone had already flat called, he had something that was worth a peak due to his stack size.

A flat call may have been the key here then a quick get out, without watching the table you can't get a full assessment of how the others have been playing. As 6 were still in, I'd have said it was quite a tight table or no monsters had crossed paths.

Still. based on just the information I have above, shove and hope would still be the best option.
  • edited October 2009
    SORRY M8 ALL IN PRE FLOP WITH JACKS YOUR ASKING FOR A BAD BEAT 600 RAISE PREFLOP GIVES YOU A GET OUT IF THE FLOPS UNKIND IF YOU GET RERAISED PREFLOP YOUVE GOT TO ALL IN BUT THE K 10 MIGHT FOLD TO A RAISE. ALL IN HES GOT A CHANCE OF LUCKING ALL YOUR CHIPS AGAINS ANYHAND.WITH JJ YOUVE GOT 12 OVERCARDS AGAINST YOU BEFORE YOU FACTOR IN FLUSH AND STAIGHT DRAWS.
    Posted by BADBOY985
    this might be the worst post ever in the strategy section
  • edited October 2009
    100% shove, any good player will tell you shove every time in this situation. If the flop brings an ace, queen or king and you have not shoved and you get someone betting into you, you have to fold. The chance of an over card being on the flop is at least 50%. Also the 88 could flop a set etc... if you raise you put too much of your stack in the pot, it has to be a shove all in. The limper should fold, the KT should fold, the 88 should fold. 2 bad calls and you got your chips in good, bad beats happen. Dont question good play when this sort of thing happens, be confident in your ability and strategy and avoid being results orientated.
  • edited October 2009
    Im affraid i agree with Badboy on this issue. but then im much more of a passive/semi-aggressive player than most people on here.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Right to push? : this might be the worst post ever in the strategy section
    Posted by scotty77
    totally agree.you have to push no-brainer as far as i'm concerned.
    Ideally you only want one caller if not none.if K10 folds,which in my 
    opinion he should have,you're up against 88.happy days USUALLY.
  • edited October 2009

ALL-IN EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK 4 ME M8

• edited October 2009
    ALL-IN EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK 4 ME M8
    Posted by dav1964
    You played the hand absolutely perfect, you had 2 chances to win the hand and was just unlucky to get called by to loose players, but there the sort of calls you would take all day !!!
  • edited October 2009
    Insta shove, no doubt about it
  • edited October 2009

You played the hand absolutely perfect, you had 2 chances to win the hand and was just unlucky to get called by to loose players, but there the sort of calls you would take all day !!!

+100

You were a 56.325% favourite to treble up and give yourself a good chance of getting to one of the top three spots (where all the money is!)
  • edited October 2009
    Posted by BADBOY985
    I think he should have just open folded incase he lost to a 1/3 shot.

Best to be safe and avoid getting it in as a 66% or so favourite to win the hand.