You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Strategy Advice - Min. Raising

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
In Response to Strategy Advice - Min. Raising:
I'm trying to improve my game at the moment and was wondering about any thoughts on the following. I've been playing a lot of microstakes cash tables lately, and notice that I see of min. raising, followed by a lot of calling (effectively limping?).  I know this is not considered sound strategy and I think I understand some of the reasons why (too many players in the pot making your top hands vulnerable, not being able to gauge your opponents' range, appearing weak, etc.). I also find I regularly run into slow-played monsters at these tables and get killed when I play hands like top-pair-ace-kicker strongly, getting called down (but not raised) by someone with an apparent draw, only to find that the guy had hit a set, flush or straight on the flop. But this is a different issue I guess. However, my question is... on tables where this is min. raising is happening a lot, what tactics could I employ to best exploit this poor play? For example, should I be 3-betting these players with a wider range to exploit (apparent) weakness? Or should I limp in a lot with good drawing hands? Or should I play only premium hands? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Posted by Pysterman
Both IMO.  If you can see a flop multi way for relatively cheap with suited connectors then thats always going to be a good thing in cash (as long as you feel like you'll get paid when making a hand - which you will at micro stakes).

Play all preemys super strong as people hate to fold.  But in the situation where you feel as though your up against something dont be afraid to exercise some pot control.

I dont play nl4, least I ever really play is nl50, but I think that most good nl4 grinders would agree that overall you'll be making money in those spots where you've been slowplayed overall.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I'm trying to improve my game at the moment and was wondering about any thoughts on the following.

I've been playing a lot of microstakes cash tables lately, and notice that I see of min. raising, followed by a lot of calling (effectively limping?).  I know this is not considered sound strategy and I think I understand some of the reasons why (too many players in the pot making your top hands vulnerable, not being able to gauge your opponents' range, appearing weak, etc.).

I also find I regularly run into slow-played monsters at these tables and get killed when I play hands like top-pair-ace-kicker strongly, getting called down (but not raised) by someone with an apparent draw, only to find that the guy had hit a set, flush or straight on the flop. But this is a different issue I guess.

However, my question is... on tables where this is min. raising is happening a lot, what tactics could I employ to best exploit this poor play?

For example, should I be raising these players with a wider range to exploit (apparent) weakness?

Or should I limp in a lot with good drawing hands?

Or should I play only premium hands?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • edited August 2011
    At this level i reckon min-raising is the WORST way to play , and pretty much what AMYBR says is spot on
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Strategy Advice - Min. Raising:
    I'm trying to improve my game at the moment and was wondering about any thoughts on the following. I've been playing a lot of microstakes cash tables lately, and notice that I see of min. raising, followed by a lot of calling (effectively limping?).  I know this is not considered sound strategy and I think I understand some of the reasons why (too many players in the pot making your top hands vulnerable, not being able to gauge your opponents' range, appearing weak, etc.). I also find I regularly run into slow-played monsters at these tables and get killed when I play hands like top-pair-ace-kicker strongly, getting called down (but not raised) by someone with an apparent draw, only to find that the guy had hit a set, flush or straight on the flop. But this is a different issue I guess. However, my question is... on tables where this is min. raising is happening a lot, what tactics could I employ to best exploit this poor play? For example, should I be 3-betting these players with a wider range to exploit (apparent) weakness? Or should I limp in a lot with good drawing hands? Or should I play only premium hands? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Posted by Pysterman
    Depends mainly on
    1 / Position
    2 / The quality of your opponents with regards to the range of their starting hand selection, their positional awareness and their aggression factor. For instance the frequency of their c-betting and bet sizing. Do they understand and practice super system ? etc
    You may have seen a guy called Dohhhh posting on here a lot. He provided a guide to playing low stakes and am sure he will be kind enough to give you the link. I read it and found it to be a good comprehensive guide to micro cash that would pretty much provide profitable play, over time , at those levels given correct br management.
  • edited August 2011
    oh yeah the min raise thing, worst thing you can do in a multi way pot pre in poker, end of.  I dont know why people do it. 

Only time I would ever really min raise is in a tournament play in LP when blinds are very significant.  But even then am likely to 2.2 it.

I really dont know what people are trying to achieve with the constand click backs pre.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Strategy Advice - Min. Raising:
    oh yeah the min raise thing, worst thing you can do in a multi way pot pre in poker, end of.  I dont know why people do it.  Only time I would ever really min raise is in a tournament play in LP when blinds are very significant.  But even then am likely to 2.2 it. I really dont know what people are trying to achieve with the constand click backs pre.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yeah for sure later in tournys when blinds are huge min raising is defo a useful weapon xx
  • edited August 2011
    At this level i reckon min-raising is the WORST way to play , and pretty much what AMYBR says is spot on
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Although i generally agree with what you said this is also opponent dependant. Some people have good postflop skills and also have the ability to adapt to being 3 bet. It seems like this is a bit of an emergent style. I personally don't play this way but have experienced a few opponents having success with this strategy.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Strategy Advice - Min. Raising : Although i generally agree with what you said this is also opponent dependant. Some people have good postflop skills and also have the ability to adapt to being 3 bet. It seems like this is a bit of an emergent style. I personally don't play this way but have experienced a few opponents having success with this strategy.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    Yeah i understand what ya sayin but im talking in general at this level min raising aint gonna be a moneyspinner ;))
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Strategy Advice - Min. Raising : Yeah i understand what ya sayin but im talking in general at this level min raising aint gonna be a moneyspinner ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    In fairness i imagine that if it has a sound theoretical basis then it can be. I can think of a few positives about this style. I was just wondering if there are any articles advocating and justifying it ? Was kinda hoping there was out of interest.
  • edited August 2011
    No point min raising at NL4 if you have a big hand, raise for value - inflate the pot

This is not limit hold em, no need to keep clicking back.

If someone keeps min raising then more fool them just limp along with cards that play well together and then the whole table will have a go at cracking that big pr )

Min raising only encourages more players into the pot when you could raise the same amount as the whole table calling a min raise and still get action.

If you got a big hand you raise for value and also to get all chips in the middle as quick as possible or by the river.
    Pre flop you know your in good shape, if 5 players see a flop, you have no idea if your good so playing this way gives you headaches. You have to be really good at post flop play to min raise UTG with AA, and also you got to be able to lay down you aces when there cracked.
    I don't think players at NL4 in general are not good enough to fold in these spot
  • edited August 2011
    At micro stake here there isnt any reason to minraise, just dont do it

I have seen good players  use minraise as standard btn open before at 50NL elsewhere, its difficult to play against and certainly has advantages. Before everyone jumps on me I AM NOT ADVOCATING using it at 4NL or similar here
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Strategy Advice - Min. Raising : In Response to Re: Strategy Advice - Min. Raising : Yeah i understand what ya sayin but im talking in general at this level min raising aint gonna be a moneyspinner ;)) Posted by debdobs_67
    In fairness i imagine that if it has a sound theoretical basis then it can be. I can think of a few positives about this style. I was just wondering if there are any articles advocating and justifying it ? Was kinda hoping there was out of interest.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS

An argument could be made for giving yourself the betting lead, inflating pot with a hand like 8h9h and opening the door to get 3bet by one of the limpers.  But at this level its utterly pointless.

I had put up a number of threads asking as to why people habitually click it back at this level.  Is it part of a grander scheme?  (Not being a huge online player) is it standard these days?  Poker trends are cicular and fashionlike, is this the new thing?

Common consensus was that its just people not knowing how to play their hands, which I agree with.

Why give yourself the betting lead when so many people are happy to go broke with 3rd pair?  Why inflate the pot by 1BB with 8h9h when you'll get paid regardless?  Why nflate when so few bluffs get through?  Why min to get 3 bet when you'll get called at 10x so often?

As said, minning in multiway hands pre is the dumbest spot in poker, end of.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Strategy Advice - Min. Raising : In fairness i imagine that if it has a sound theoretical basis then it can be. I can think of a few positives about this style. I was just wondering if there are any articles advocating and justifying it ? Was kinda hoping there was out of interest. Posted by BLACK_MASS
    An argument could be made for giving yourself the betting lead, inflating pot with a hand like 8h9h and opening the door to get 3bet by one of the limpers.  But at this level its utterly pointless. I had put up a number of threads asking as to why people habitually click it back at this level.  Is it part of a grander scheme?  (Not being a huge online player) is it standard these days?  Poker trends are cicular and fashionlike, is this the new thing? Common consensus was that its just people not knowing how to play their hands, which I agree with. Why give yourself the betting lead when so many people are happy to go broke with 3rd pair?  Why inflate the pot by 1BB with 8h9h when you'll get paid regardless?  Why nflate when so few bluffs get through?  Why min to get 3 bet when you'll get called at 10x so often? As said, minning in multiway hands pre is the dumbest spot in poker, end of.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Was primarily interested in this owing to the way that it may influence the table dynamic into one that may become exploitable.
    Am slightly disappointed that this is doctrine but saves me any further wasteful thought so thanx for that.
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks all of your thoughts guys. Though, I would just like to reiterate that I already understand that min raising at this level is generally (if not always) a bad thing. I don't do it.

I was fishing for some tips on how to optimally play at a table with lots of min raising and limping going on. (Thanks AMYBR.)
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks all of your thoughts guys. Though, I would just like to reiterate that I already understand that min raising at this level is generally (if not always) a bad thing. I don't do it. I was fishing for some tips on how to optimally play at a table with lots of min raising and limping going on. (Thanks AMYBR.)
    Posted by Pysterman

If someone is constantly min raising then you just raise your big hands and add on 15p. Don't even worry about them min raising because they have no idea why there doing it.
    If I find someone on my table is min raising constantly then I just keep 3 betting them IP until they stop )
    If they don't stop then I just keep on taking there money.
    If you 3/bet and they 4/bet, then you fold.
    If they flat your 3/bet and then check flop, well thats a white flag )
    I would say 95% of the time the min raise/min bet means nothing at NL4. The only time it
    does matter is when they have the nutz.

Depends how good you think you are playing the streets