You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

advice please...

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hey guys, when i started out playing poker i only used to play mtts and stts, and every time i played cash games i would lose money, but ive recently studied the cash side more and i have been having a crack at nl4 just to see if i improved, and i have been doing very well lately (not trying to blow my own trumpet lol) my question is if im constantly making a profit day in and day out playing cash (at nl4), should i stop playing mtts and stts and stick with cash? im aware that in mtts the potential to raise my bankrole with a big win in one of them would be fantastic,  but im always a believer in if somethings not broken then dont fix it, in the sense that if im making money playing cash, why risk losing chunks of my bankrole in mtts and stts.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I think if you're doing well at NL4 continue until you have £160 then play NL8 till you have £200 then play NL10, rinse repeat till you have around £400 and start NL20 or if that doesn't work just stick to a level where you can make decent money to fund your MTT/STT games.
  • edited August 2011
    5% rule is good

don't enter a cash game/mtt/stt with more than 5% of you BR
  • edited August 2011
    You were plaing on 1 of my tables the other day and i have you noted as a solid player so i can see you making a consistant profit at nl4 personally im trying to build my BR from nl4 to nl10 and hope if i am still winning consistantly at that level i will be able to play the £1-£5 stts/mtts comfortably without it effecting my roll

Also depends what you are aiming to get out of poker if its pure money then stick to what your winning put the tournies tend to be more social and i enjoy playing an mtt alot more than i do cash
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: advice please...:
    5% rule is good don't enter a cash game/mtt/stt with more than 5% of you BR
    Posted by rancid
    I've heard 2.5% for mtt or is that too extreme do you think
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: advice please... : I've heard 2.5% for mtt or is that too extreme do you think
    Posted by jams88
    Depends how big your BR is:
    Starting BR of £80 to play NL4 - 20 buy ins hit £100 start playing MTT's
    5% = £4
    NL4 cash
    MTT's - mini's are £2.30-£3.30
    you could lower this to 2.5 and play DYM/STT's

Grind NL4 till £160 play NL8 - play same MTT'S
    hit 200 play NL10 - enter MTT's upto £5.50

ps. don't so what i have done and hit £200 and blow £100 taking shots :()
    Suprising how quick £100 will come and go, don't enter the primo :()
    are you recreational or do you want to make money - you need to get that
    straight in your head first - very important to be displined like Dudeskin )

• edited August 2011
    Personlly if you want to play MTT's I'd advise using no more than 2% but ideally I'd want 100 BI's if playing consistently.
  • edited August 2011
    i had a crack at the nl10 today for a couple of hours and i was quite suprised, i thought that it would have been alot tougher then nl4 but there wasnt really that much of a difference in the skill of players, i may have just had a good few hours playing for all i know but i really didnt notice a difference (apart from the money of course lol) Has anyone else found this aswell?
  • edited August 2011
    i had a crack at the nl10 today for a couple of hours and i was quite suprised, i thought that it would have been alot tougher then nl4 but there wasnt really that much of a difference in the skill of players, i may have just had a good few hours playing for all i know but i really didnt notice a difference (apart from the money of course lol) Has anyone else found this aswell?
    Posted by robyoung
    It's basically got the same awful players but just less of them and a lot more REGs.
  • edited August 2011
    your br completely depends on how much you multi-table
    cash is much better to grind a consistent profit - tournaments are annoying and i hate them (if you follow me on twitter you'll know why (dohh) .. lol
  • edited August 2011
    whatif you can top up your br when ever you like!