You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Unlucky or bad play by me?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Oops, my last sentence wasnt needed - on the preview it looked horrible but the image came out ok!! :D

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Playing in a £1000 freezeout tonight and the best two hands I saw in an hour-and-a-half were TT and AJ off neither of which saw action. So trying to make moves and getting chips slowly. Managed to get a healthy stack doing this then I gets moved to a tight table which suits me to a tee. Had 33 big's then gets KcKd in SB. Its folded to me and I call to trap as the player I know is very tight in the BB.

Flop comes dangerous - 8d Td 8s   - I pot it and get a call; turn brings Jd, dangerous again but I have the Kd in my pocket so half-pot bet again hoping as I dont put him on a straight, he has maybe a Ten and a flush draw.

River comes 9d, now I overbet and shove (thinking from his POV I'm either bluffing or repping my overpair which indeed I had) and am only beat by Ad (which I dont put him on) or ONE other card in the whole deck - yep you guessed it, he had the Qd for the straight flush! (he also had Th so my guess on the turn was correct as well lol)

My question is, did I play this wrong (turn play perhaps though I guessed correctly what the guy had and wanted a call) or was I just very unlucky and it was a cooler?

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    SALT1R3 Small blind   125.00 125.00 8380.00
    JACSBAC Big blind   250.00 375.00 8340.50
      Your hole cards
    • Kc
    • Kd

roghelz Fold        
    madred71 Fold        
    Robgooner Fold        
    OhMyGosh Fold        
    SALT1R3 Call   125.00 500.00 8255.00
    **** Check        
    Flop

• 8d
    • 10d
    • 8s

SALT1R3 Bet   500.00 1000.00 7755.00
    Call   500.00 1500.00 7840.50
    Turn

• Jd

SALT1R3 Bet   750.00 2250.00 7005.00
    **** Call   750.00 3000.00 7090.50
    River

• 9d

SALT1R3 All-in   7005.00 10005.00 0.00
    **** All-in   7090.50 17095.50 0.00
    **** Unmatched bet   85.50 17010.00 85.50
    SALT1R3 Show
    • Kc
    • Kd

**** Show
    • 10h
    • Qd

**** Win Straight Flush to the Queen 17010.00   17095.50

Sorry about the shoddy gfx, for some reason I cant seem to post the correct format for the image - hope you get the jist though! :)
  • edited August 2011
    I raise pre.

Flop bet bit less, 380 is fine.

Turn is pretty ugly tbh, I might just c/f here, if bet it's b/f obvz.

Not sure about shove on river, only called by hand that beats you as in A/Q/9 diamonds or full house.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Unlucky or bad play by me?:
    I raise pre. Flop bet bit less, 380 is fine. Turn is pretty ugly tbh, I might just c/f here, if bet it's b/f obvz. Not sure about shove on river, only called by hand that beats you as in A/Q/9 diamonds or full house.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Yeah if I was playing any other position I would've raised pre but KK in the SB is so huge I wasnt wanting to lose my customer if he had zilch and was wanting him to get a piece of the flop (which ofc he did). It ofc is a risky play limping there which is why I potted the flop (usually I do 3/4 bet it) when it came so dangerous thinking that if he had a draw on the flop, then I would make him pay for that draw.

The turn gets worse and when I get a call to the river I'm thinking I'm ahead before the river card comes because if he made his hand on the turn, he surely wouldve shoved to protect. (Thats my albeit limited experience thought process to it)

For the river I did think I was ahead with the K flush as reckoned if he'd housed on the flop/turn, the chips wouldve been in before then and I didnt put him on a mid-sized Ad in the hole - hence the reason I did what I did as only the Qd is beating me.
  • edited August 2011
    Defo shoulda raised pre BUT its still a cooler xx
  • edited August 2011

pre is fine if you had a plan and reads - if your only reasoning is 'dont want to lose my customer' .. then it's bad, should raise - i'd only limp if i had a lot of history with villain - or he's a maniac
    i'd bet smaller on flop
    i'd b/f turn bigger - c/f would be too weak imo
    i hate the river shove - i'd bet about 1.2K and fold to raise, you're not beating anything he's going to call with

also, you're not only getting beat by 2 hands - you're losing to all full houses, Ad , Qd, 7d - he's never calling with anything else