You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did bet sizing let me down?

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Was sharing a table with couple of seasoned players last night in a DS.  Learnt a lot! Anyway the hand below is up for analysis as I think I possibly missed out on some value.  XX is a very aggressive regular and did not normally lay down easily.  I'm thinking now I should have checked the river? Did my bet look like a flush? 
Also, views on my bet sizing would be appreciated. TA
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
2BLucky Small blind  50.00 50.00 7363.75
Glenelg Big blind  100.00 150.00 4850.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

SoLack Fold     
AcidMan27 Fold     
XXRaise  300.00 450.00 3400.50
chrispip Fold     
2BLucky Fold     
Glenelg Call  200.00 650.00 4650.00
Flop

Glenelg Check     
XX Check     
Turn

Glenelg Bet  650.00 1300.00 4000.00
XXCall  650.00 1950.00 2750.50
River

• Q

Glenelg Bet  975.00 2925.00 3025.00
XXFold     
Glenelg Muck     
Glenelg Win  1950.00  4975.00
Glenelg Return  975.00 0.00 5950.00

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Once you decide not to 3bet pre flop, (which will be ok against some players) I think you played it fine.

Maybe abit smaller on the turn, but in these tournys I will ever criticise people for betting too big (within reason).

Good signs Pad lad, keen working at it.
  • edited August 2011
    I think if he is aggressive as you say I def lead flop half pot, hoping to stimulate some action on later streets.  As it stands the only turn and river cards that will give you action are likely bad cards.

He'll likely peel Apic off flop, but more often than not i'd suspect a c bet on flop after a check, being this barren.
  • edited August 2011

im 3 betting pre to about 700/800. and definately leading out on flop betting 3 quater of pot or full pot, turn and river raises are fine

• edited August 2011
    don't mind the flat pre - i like the check on flop following the flat - cheeky )
    He didn't bite though :( was you c/r, hope so
    like the bet sizing on turn and river, if he shoves river you are never folding right ?

nice
  • edited August 2011
    I'm 3betting pre and getting it in most the time here.

Flop I lead out for 400.

Turn as played good.

I check river as if shoved on you're in trouble.
  • edited August 2011
    im 3 betting pre to about 750

as played not a fan of checking flop as your not really getting value from flush draws also if an Ace or King comes its going to make the hand difficult, i'd also aim to get in on flop if they re-raise you.

I think your bet sizing is fine throughout possibly check river then depending on the bet sizing and the villain may snap or fold
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Did bet sizing let me down?:
    im 3 betting pre to about 750 as played not a fan of checking flop as your not really getting value from flush draws also if an Ace or King comes its going to make the hand difficult, i'd also aim to get in on flop if they re-raise you. I think your bet sizing is fine throughout possibly check river then depending on the bet sizing and the villain may snap or fold
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Thanks JB. I checked the flop in the hope he bet and I was gonna re-raise poss shove.
    @ JJ good signs - but still a fair way to go me thinks!

• edited August 2011
    Why donk bet the flop?

It could work with reads, but most players should be c-betting this flop close to 100% surely.
  • edited August 2011
    Why donk bet the flop? It could work with reads, but most players should be c-betting this flop close to 100% surely.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think this goes back to my original Q. I reckoned I should have been able to get more value, ideally ALL his chips.  I thought at the time if I check flop & he bets I prob shove cos of stack sizes.  Still not sure how I could have got more chips tho. Couple of folk say bet flop & couple say don't bother. 
  • edited August 2011

I'm firmly in the "don't bother" camp! ;)

• edited August 2011
    Why donk bet the flop? It could work with reads, but most players should be c-betting this flop close to 100% surely.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    To Protect our hand obviously, also perfect flop to get in on for our hand as we wont like a few turns.

This contradicts what your saying, i think we do need to be c betting everytime in this spot but then you have now said you wouldnt please explain??
  • edited August 2011
    As played I don't mind checking the flop. As DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH said most decent players would be c-betting that flop so that gives you the option of check-raising.

I'd personally 3-bet pre and then lead out on the flop mainly to protect my hand because you're not going to like it if any scare cards come down.

• edited August 2011

A c bet is when the pre flop raiser continues with a bet on the flop.

We are not the pre flop raiser, we can't c bet.

We can donk bet, but we can't c bet.

Im saying most players will c-bet when we check to them, coz it's unlikely that we have connected with this board.
  • edited August 2011
    A c bet is when the pre flop raiser continues with a bet on the flop. We are not the pre flop raiser, we can't c bet. We can donk bet, but we can't c bet. Im saying most players will c-bet when we check to them, coz it's unlikely that we have connected with this board.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    ok fair point, u know what im like at reading these things skim reading ftw

i still prefer donk bet to protect also as its dry board some players will try to re-raise cause it can look like a bluff
  • edited August 2011

Good responses as usual guys - thanks.  The clinic has DEF improved my poker!

pad - still learning!

• edited August 2011
    3bet pre, why didnt you?

as played i would try c/r flop. If I donk its to induce a raise, dont see why we would donk to protect it dont make sense to me

Prob bet turn a little smaller, river fine