You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Munchie Daily

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok people have said that i should post hands on here, hands i think i played well, or not well, so since today is day 1 of my journey of making my bank roll, i figured i might aswell start with the highlights of my day

Day 1

started off slow winning a few pots uncontested, and then we had this hand
Hand History #408824302 (15:35 31/08/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancerainman397Small blind £0.02£0.02£1.85DrSharpBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.52 Your hole cardsQ9   BIGMICK1Fold    sillymunchRaise £0.12£0.18£2.00hat27Fold    rainman397Call £0.10£0.28£1.75DrSharpFold    Flop  1078   rainman397Check    sillymunchBet £0.14£0.42£1.86rainman397Call £0.14£0.56£1.61Turn  6   rainman397Check    sillymunchBet £0.28£0.84£1.58rainman397Call £0.28£1.12£1.33River  A   rainman397Check    sillymunchBet £1.12£2.24£0.46rainman397All-in £1.33£3.57£0.00sillymunchCall £0.21£3.78£0.25rainman397Show1010   sillymunchShowQ9   sillymunchWinStraight to the 10£3.49 £3.74

Then after a few more pots taken down uncontested, folded some hands where i was clearly beat then along comes my next big hand

Hand History #408829275 (15:52 31/08/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDrSharpSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.59StKildaBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.96 Your hole cardsA3   sillymunchRaise £0.08£0.14£3.85thomas1313Fold    <td style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5px;color:#666666;vertical-align:middle;font-family:verdana;text-align:left;font-size:0.9em;border-width:1px;border-color:#badffd;border-style:solid;

Comments

• edited September 2011
    if people could have a look through and possibly tell me what they felt i did wrong, or even right in these hands, i would love some feedback so i can improve my game to that next level
  • edited September 2011
    Hand 1, you should not be opening with Q9 at nl4, maybe at a push on the button (dealer position)

positives when your opening its with a raise

hand 2, again i would fold A3suited here later position i would open. if you plan to play dont min raise raise properly. dont vary raises based on holding you want to make standard good bet sizes

ill go through a few more at home too much to do at work
  • edited September 2011
    hand 3 i like raising but raise more your pricing everyone to call which you dont really want, key to nl4. on the flop just call as you have 2nd pair and likely your beat. jackpot on the turn so bet big and aim to get in

hand 4, is pretty standard again but bigger raises please. you wont scare anyone at this level they are calling whether 16p, or 60p as long as your at least doubling their raises and add a bit cant go wrong

key thing to work on is bet sizes, post flop 3/4-pot bets when you have it or overbet if you think their drawinig.

pre flop standard bet should be 16-20p add 1 for limpers possibly 2 bbb per limp depending on table

Keep posting please and gl
  • edited September 2011
    1. Fold pre.

2. Fold pre.

3. Fold pre.

4. Reraise bigger pre, bet bigger on flop.

5. Pre I make it 4x, flop good, turn ok to call minbet, river I might fold but call ok.

6. I raise flop instead of just calling.

7. Just take free flop, I bet more on flop, BET turn don't check big hands.
  • edited September 2011
    I'll try and give you some thoughts for each hand.

1. I think you just need to fold hands like Q9offsuit instantly preflop. Really at this level you only want to bet for value (when you think you have the best hand) and you don't on the flop, I'd just check and take a free card, if you get re-raised here then you need to fold. On the turn when you hit your hard, you should bet bigger. At this level when you make your hand your bets should always be between 75% and 100% of the pot because they're are so many fish you'll get a call from (you want maximum value). So around 40-45p I'd think, then it easily all goes in on the river.

2. Fold preflop again. But as played, I probably just call the bet on the flop but raising isn't terrible. I think you should raise the turn definitely, remember it's all about getting max value from your big hands. DrSharp is a regular by the way, you'll see him round on the forum, so you probably weren't getting any more on the river but I prefer a bet for value here, maybe £1.70.

3. Fold pre flop again. Don't raise the flop, the only thing that should call your raise is a Q (which beats you). Lucky to get a 9 on the turn, after that it plays itself with the stack sizes.

4. Re-raise more pre, probably to around 42p. Bet bigger on the flop, about 80% of the pot, but again it plays itself.

5. Guess you played this ok. fine with the raise pre on the button. Bet bigger on the flop, which probably changes how it plays but once he calls your flop bet, i just want a showdown as cheap as possible. If you can't see a showdown cheap, fold.

6. I raise bigger pre. I definitely re-raise flop bet but either way it all goes in.

7. Fold pre. flop bet is fine. DONT check the turn, DONT slowplay at this level ever, if you bet there, you get called by anyone with an ace and even some fish with a jack. Somehow it got all in on the river anyway lol, good re-raise on the river.

Main thing I'd say is that you need to tighten up the hands you play preflop. At this level I'd really only suggest playing any pocket pair (22 through to 1010, you're just looking to flop a set really), AK,AQ,AJ, AT,KQ,KJ, QJ.
  • edited September 2011
    I will give my honest opinion on your play having been sat on the same table as you for a bit. Do not take offence.

I think my notes on you say something along the lines of you being a maniac and playing too many hands with a wide range but very aggressively. You were running hot when i played you hitting most flops and looking at your hands youve posted here youve been running like a God which is great. Alot of these hands should be folded pre flop as Dudeskin says. As i say, please dont take offence mate. Just my opinion after a small session with you on the same table so it should be useful to see how someone else sees your play on first impression.

The really good part of your game is that you are very aggressive always putting the pressure on people which is a great way to play. At this level, dont bluff. Just tighten your range a bit and you will walk this level, youve already found that people call very very light.

Good luck, if you keep the profits rolling in at this rate you'll be up and running in no time.
  • edited September 2011
    Just read through some of the older threads, you're making basic mistakes in alot of these hands....

All the info is on the site 10/20/30 times over.

More nl4 threads than anything else.

Then when u get the basics, (tighten up, and bet bigger) you can post hands that need more attention.

Scroll through the last 3 pages of clinic threads, and read em all. 

gl.
  • edited September 2011
    DrSharp - I wouldnt take offence, the whole reason of posting these hands were to find out what im doing right and wrong and from what everyone has said it seems that i have made a lot of mistakes on preflop selection, but ive remained profitable, i am actually quite glad that you referred to me as a maniac, because of 2 reasons, 1... My whole guess is the reason i made as much profit as i did is because players figured that i was just trying to bluff the pot, they called my bluff to find out i wasnt bluffing, expencive mistake but maybe they saw me as "a maniac" lol.... 

But the second reason im glad that you said you put me on note as a maniac is because when i first started to learn the poker basics i was looking up alot of different styles, but the one that made the biggest impact on me was Daniel Negreanu's style, 
    He says that you want to make yourself seem like a maniac, getting involved in many hands (not every hand) and play them aggressively, see a flop and if you hit the flop bet agressively, and thats the way i was playing my hands, as for the people who all said i should of folded pre flop on the hands, the only reason i was raising in these situations is because usually im opening the pot from late position, not always on the button but from late position, and from what i was watching on sky, you should never limp if you have a hand from the late position, they hate the limp cus your not getting any information from your opponents

anyways, the only thing i would like to add is in my whole day my biggest loss on a single hand was 49p, so doesnt this show that i know when to get out of a hand and when its ok to put the pressure on? maybe some oppinions on that cus i really would like to know what you think now you understand my thinking a little more

• edited September 2011
    I know what you're trying to say Munchie but with any given hand preflop, you're gonna completely miss the flop 2 times out of 3. Then when you play these hands that I can only describe as junk (don't take offence) like A3, A9, Q9, what happens when you hit your 9 or 3 and it's or bottom pair, or you don't hit at all.

Sorry but playing these hands long term is just not profitable. The key to beating 4NL is that it is FULL of fish, so you want a really tight opening range and then you bet 75-100% of the pot when you hit, you do that bet, flop, turn and river (NEVER slowplay) while you still think you're ahead, because you get called off so light at this level.
  • edited September 2011
    Munchie no matter how good you are you cannot play that wide at nl4, tight abc is the way to play and will get you through the level

In honesty i think you must have run very good at the moment but, take all of our comments and tighten your range pre flop. Q9 o do not play , unless on the button vs very tight blinds. A3 suited dont limp in or min raise, again i wouldn't play unless a couple limps before so your getting value if you hit the flush or in late position(by late i mean Cut of or button no earlier.

You have some good advice here alone but i suggest you search in the clinic for Dohhh's nl4 strategy guide it will help you heaps, if i have time ill bump it up for you

GL
  • edited September 2011
    I often think it's best to play opposite of the table so at NL4 you're gonna get LOADS of maniacs/stations/loose players and hence it is optimum to just play tight, play very few hands but just play them REALLY strong.

Tbh this sort of play you're talking about would work great at NL100 as there's hardly any fish up there and only REGS so you play opposite again hence loose to combat fairly tight players. Although from what I've seen on Mastercash they're all loose maniacs up there lol.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah, earlier i was playing my normal game and i just couldnt get to grips with it cus the ammount of fish/calling stations/maniacs that were on my tables, i literally couldnt play the game that i like to play, so i moved back on to ABC poker, its part of the game that i do need to work on, not because i cant do it but because i prefer to be putting pressure on, after todays performance im gonna completely agree. i went down 1 Big blind but then again that was cus the hand where i did hit and bet hard i got out drawn and was very unlucky :(
    However instead of tilting i slowed down and took the ABC approach and won some of it back :)

I guess no matter how good or bad a player is you have to change your style to whats going on around you
    thank you for the guide of Durrrrr, i already read it earlier, and completely agreed with everything he said.
    One of the only things that annoyed me was, in 2/4 playing tight, and agressive, i picked up aces and raised it to 20p, the standard raise i usually go for, and everyone folded xD then later AK raised to 16p and everyone folds again :( i cant get value if the fish arent biting hehe
  • edited September 2011
    Next time you get aces or a/k and raise 5x you will get 4 callers and win a big pot.

If ABC poker is an area you need to improve on then there's no better time to get some practice in than at NL4.

• edited September 2011
    One of the most important things at this level is patience. Don't throw discipline out the window because you raised 20p once with AA and everyone raised. If anything I'd raise bigger with AA, the times you get all folds, it's a bit rubbish, but much better than letting someone in cheap with 10-8 and them flopping 2pair. And the times you do get called, you've already built a decent sized pot, so that when you bet 80% of the pot on the flop if you get a call, you've nearly got to a point where they've got too little behind to be willing to fold.

Don't worry when people fold to your big raise with AA. Once you start multi-tabling, you'll be getting AA plenty of times in a 3-4hour session so it becomes less of a big deal when you don't get callers one time.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Munchie Daily:
    One of the most important things at this level is patience. Don't throw discipline out the window because you raised 20p once with AA and everyone raised. If anything I'd raise bigger with AA, the times you get all folds, it's a bit rubbish, but much better than letting someone in cheap with 10-8 and them flopping 2pair. And the times you do get called, you've already built a decent sized pot, so that when you bet 80% of the pot on the flop if you get a call, you've nearly got to a point where they've got too little behind to be willing to fold. Don't worry when people fold to your big raise with AA. Once you start multi-tabling, you'll be getting AA plenty of times in a 3-4hour session so it becomes less of a big deal when you don't get callers one time.
    Posted by Lambert180
    haha yeah, watch me lose all my money when i start multi tabling xD tried it before 4 tables and lost 4 BI's within half hour lmao, then again that was because i was playing loose on 4 tables back in the days when i was a complete fish xD
  • edited September 2011
    Anyways back to Munchies Daily post

Today has been a rough day, Started off losing a BI, i tried to make it back on a double up resulting in another loss, my AK getting put all in by QJ and Q hitting on the river crippled me..... decided to go into a BH with a 3 dollar sign up and lost on the first hand AQs put all in by 8 6o After the flop 8 6 Q, the pot was raised 100 chips so dont ask me what 8 6 was doing there since blinds were only 10/20 lmao but oh well, 
    Took a break and came back, played some ABC poker, and managed to win back all but £2 of what i have lost today, which i might try and win back later :)
  • edited September 2011
    tight is right - big big on your big hands JJ-AA - AJ-AK
    don't bluff

play 4 tables and play tight - 
    see a flop with good cards that work together suited conns, ace suited ....
    set mine all day with low-mid prs

ABC all day long

come and join my table )

• edited September 2011
    Hi sillymunch. I undestand what your saying but this is NL4. Your style of implying that your a maniac may work higher up or against some better players at this level. At NL4, believe it or not, there is usually at least one or two maniacs (usually more) at every table. If you play on a table full of maniacs yourself, you lose your edge on them. Bingo i think they call it.

Listen to the regs at NL4 on here. They know how to beat it. Dont think too much at this level, most players think Daniel Negreanu plays for Spurs or something. They dont watch whats going on. They just call with any two cards and then the play starts when the flop comes down if they have hit anything. If you start with the better tighter opening range, you have the easiest edge.

Welcome to the forum anyway mate. Keep it going and keep posting. If you search around other sections there are some great offers for free stuff from little comps and stuff. Good luck.
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks DrSharp, i loves free stuff xD so i best start searching lol