You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WHOS THE BEST PRO POKER PLAYER?

edited October 2009 in The Shed
In Response to WHOS YOUR FAVOURITE PRO?:
im interested as to who every1 thinks the best pro of all time is, just post their name, or give reasons if u want. for me its definatley hellmuth. most people think hes an arrogant knob, but he makes unbelievable calls and the bracelets speak for them selves.he's also hilarious(even if hes not trying to be).EVERYONE make a choice, maybe we could count them after.
Posted by nirvana29
Hi
For me its Daniel Negreanu, he can be unplayable and has a lot more humility than Hellmuth, on the table, who IMO is not so much arrogant, as thats part of the act for most top players, but he IS an ignorant loudmouth, who when he goes off on one should be banned from the table, but never is.
I hate it when any player does what he is famous for, as it shows a total lack of respect to the person it is aimed at.

col

Comments

• edited October 2009
    im interested as to who every1 thinks the best pro of all time is, just post their name, or give reasons if u want. for me its definatley hellmuth. most people think hes an arrogant knob, but he makes unbelievable calls and the bracelets speak for them selves.he's also hilarious(even if hes not trying to be).EVERYONE make a choice, maybe we could count them after, see whos top.
  • edited October 2009
    + 1 for negreanu, pure class in every way
  • edited October 2009
    I'm sorry, but it's Hellmouth for me too.

He was the one that gave me the poker itch in the first place. I just find him so entertaining!

If it weren't for characters like Hellmouth, poker wouldn't be here in the form it is today.

Cue the disagree'rs!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2009
    I agree with both players so far being excellent, two of the best in the world but for me after just finishing his autobiography it has to be Mike Matusow. To come through all the stuff he's been through and come out the other side with three bracelets and a truckload of cash is amazing. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to know the inside track on a poker players life. Also for the reason i've played against him in a big omaha tourney on another site. And he destroyed me. Ho hum.

So +1 for Matusow
  • edited October 2009

Best player ever -  Phil Ivey

Most talented player - Stu Ungar

My favourite pro - Phil 'OMGClayAiken' Galfond
  • edited October 2009

Best player ever is Doyle Brunson.

This guy is 75 and still up there with the best of them.

Advise to you all is read his books and learn from the master

• edited October 2009
    Funny how the thread is favourite pro........not best.

No votes yet for TIKAY???
  • edited October 2009
    He asks up top who every1 thinks is the best pro of all time,
  • edited October 2009
    True, although the title does say favourite pro.

Still no votes either way I see!!!!
  • edited October 2009
    Favourite must be Dave Ulliott (devilfish). But only because he and his missus rode on my bus last summer along Cleethorpes seafront. Very funny guy..

The best pro though, well i guess that's another vote for Daniel Negreanu
  • edited October 2009
    For me , my favourite is Ram Crazy horse Vaswani.   On the Hellmuth issue, i can not stand the antics of the guy but there is no doubting his ability. The characters in the game need to stay because it is people like hellmuth that attract the publicity and coverage into the game. So i hope he stays around for a long time
  • edited October 2009
    Hmm interesting one and I blogged on this a while ago. For me the best player has to be Phil Ivey - plays all of the games, tournament and cash, and just has an intensity at the table which no one can match.

Best natural talent? Either Ivey or Ungar, although Ivey puts in a lot of work into his game according to his peers. As for my favourite, I have always been a big fan of Howard Lederer. Composure, a great read and able to play at the highest cash levels as well as tournaments. I just think he's a class act. If you get the chance to see him destroy Ivey and Flack at a WPT final table from Season One, you might just love the guy too. He literally owned Ivey. Scary.
  • edited October 2009
    Phil Hellmuth is hilarious, some of te clips of him on youtube had me crying.  Although I don't codone his behaviour and generally every time i see him I think what a w*****.  Still entertaining though.
  • edited October 2009
    i know you said 1 player, but i have 2 which i just cannot separate  because they have qualities that if you joined you would have for me the most complete poker player ever!! :)

For me it has to be between chris ferguson and phil ivey .... why?

Chris ferguson is one of the most disciplined players i have ever seen, as well as being a mathmatical genius he is not afraid to fold top hands and generally has very good instincts for when people are trying to bluff him.

Phil ivey ... makes plays that most would not even dare to do, but he gets his opponents lined up and in position and then bang will take a monster pot down with nothing whatsoever!! he just makes it so hard for opponents to play him and read him.
  • edited October 2009
    For me, it has to be Daniel Negreanu for his ability to read players and the polite way he plays.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: WHOS THE BEST PRO POKER PLAYER?:
    Phil Hellmuth is hilarious, some of te clips of him on youtube had me crying.  Although I don't codone his behaviour and generally every time i see him I think what a w*****.  Still entertaining though.
    Posted by repton3
    I agree, but I think Norman's little commentary quips during Phil's rants are great too. Like (Phil) "but I had a set of eights" Norman "I know you did puddin"

I can't really pick ONE favourite or best ever :-/

• edited October 2009

Daniel Negreanu for me.

Ok, so it's probably Phil Ivey, but you've got to love Danny boy.

Hellmuth is over-rated as is Brunson. Before everyone starts bringing up their Sunday roasts, please note I am making a clear distinction between poor and over-rated. They are quite clearly exceptional players, this does not however exclude them from being over-rated.

The GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) is probably Stu Ungar but this is a debate which will never end.
  • edited October 2009
    It has to be Phil Ivey for me, some of his reads are incredible.