You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

could i have got more for tjos

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jodoe Small blind  25.00 25.00 3262.50
The_Don90 Big blind  50.00 75.00 2870.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

bustedman Fold     
sydn3y Fold     
jake62 Call  50.00 125.00 4030.00
pokerw1tch Call  50.00 175.00 2700.00
jodoe Call  25.00 200.00 3237.50
The_Don90 Check     
Flop

• Q
  • K

jodoe Check     
The_Don90 Bet  100.00 300.00 2770.00
jake62 Call  100.00 400.00 3930.00
pokerw1tch Fold     
jodoe Fold     
Turn

• J

The_Don90 Bet  200.00 600.00 2570.00
jake62 Raise  400.00 1000.00 3530.00
The_Don90 Call  200.00 1200.00 2370.00
River

The_Don90 Bet  450.00 1650.00 1920.00
jake62 Call  450.00 2100.00 3080.00
The_Don90 Show
  • Q

jake62 Show
  • J

The_Don90 Win Straight to the King 2100.00  4020.00

Appoligise if this has copyed and pasted incorrect.

I was just woundering, this was one of two hands i had a reasonable win with on last nights open (the other a player was all in with me so i couldnt have got more) and was woundering could i have got more for this and if so how

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Probably not, difficult to say really.

The turn card just screamed straight to someone, however, it did make his 2 pair. His raise on the turn might have been the best time to go over the top and push him all in, and you may have got a call as he obviously liked his hand and may have called hoping to see a straight or flush draw.

I certainly wouldn't have put more into the pot than already was in it.

Because he had 2 pair, you were probably lucky to get that much. One pair, and the 450 wouldn't have been paid.
  • edited October 2009
    thanks Hale.

The only reason i was asking was because i was doing a review of my performance last night (i do this with some sorts of tournament play to see if i can spot where i may have gone wrong or done well) This was the first hand i won (only had two decent wins ill post the other but i got as much as possible for it).

As a result of having nothing, which was visable by what the guys showed on the channel i was all in on my BB with 9,3. Was either that or all in small (which if i was 100 places further down would have chosen) on the basis of the fact i would of only had 200 left i felt just go out now rather than being properly blinded.
  • edited October 2009
    Conventional wisdom states that you should try to get more chips out of your opponent on the turn.

The thinking behind this is that you should get chips from your opponent while he is still drawing to a hand that might beat yours. In this case that would include a flush draw, two pairs or a set. There is an obvious possible straight on the board so your opponent is unlikely to pay you much (if anything) on the river once he has missed his draw. You are also out of position so that limits the amount that you are likely to get paid on the river - i.e. you cannot really check-raise him on the river because he is just likely to check behind you.

Your opponent has shown interest in the pot by min-raising you on the turn so it is reasonable to put him on a hand that will call a re-raise. Given the pre-flop lack of action I wouldn't put him on the one hand that is beating me so I would feel confident that I am ahead.

It doesn't pay to be sneaky and just call on the turn because you are out of position. If you were in position then just calling the raise on the turn might be seen as good because it gives you the opportunity to make an oversize bet on the river which your opponent might see as a bluff attempt to buy the pot with a missed draw (although with the possible straight on the board it would take a very "brave" man to call it).

In a tournament like the Open the standard play is often the right one, so I would have re-raised (probably minimum) on the turn. This has two benefits: firstly it gets you more chips straight away (assuming he calls) and secondly it makes the pot bigger so that your value bet on the river can be bigger.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks MereNovice.

I must state turn betting is where i should learn to improve and i will take this on board for future referance.

As promised here the other (only decent hand i won) i think this was around 5 mins after the previous on, id hit nothing after that and my hand history shows clearly when i was and wasnt blinds lol.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    sydn3y Small blind  50.00 50.00 6707.50
    jake62 Big blind  100.00 150.00 2180.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

pokerw1tch Fold     
    jodoe Raise  300.00 450.00 2937.50
    The_Don90 Raise  900.00 1350.00 3170.00
    bustedman Fold     
    sydn3y Fold     
    jake62 All-in  2180.00 3530.00 0.00
    jodoe Fold     
    The_Don90 Call  1380.00 4910.00 1790.00
    Flop

• Q

Turn

River

jake62 Show
    • A

The_Don90 Show
    • K
    • K

The_Don90 Win Pair of Kings 4910.00  6700.00

I was a bit suprised at the raise then fold by the orgional raiser. Again comments welcome please
  • edited October 2009
    The fold from the initial raiser looks standard to me. After your re-raise and an all-in behind you I would fold just about anything apart from AA & KK (possibly AK if I was feeling aggressive) in his position.
    After a raise and a re-raise the all-in from the Ad7d is extremely aggressive/optimistic.
    You played it well, it pays to get the chips in before the flop - there is no need to try and be tricky in the Open.
  • edited October 2009

Then fold is not at all unusual, being out of position, he probably raised with a hand like ace 8, or KQ or even a lower to mid pair.

After the re raise and the all in, doubtless he no longer had faith in his hand and quietly folded. Unfortunately, it just cost him a bit.

That's the problem with marginal hands early position, you don't know what to do for the best. Flat calling entices more callers and raising means you have to let go to an all in and you've blown a nice chunck of that valuable stack and not even seen a flop.

Unfortunately, too many people can fall in love with these marginal hands, either that or try to protect the dead chips they have already put into the pot. Hence the bad beat stories flying around here from time to time. On this occassion, he had realised it was time to let go.

Bet you were pleased by the all in player, saved you trying to eek a few more chips out of him, but this play is also not in my playbook either, he has at least 20 big blinds and 2 raises in front of him. He must be able to see that an all in will probably get action from one of you.

Was this hand shown? If so what did the folder actually have because I didn't watch it yesterday.

• edited October 2009
    Why can Merenovice say it in 2 lines and I waffle on for an hour??

Am I your long lost, too talkative, sister?
  • edited October 2009

the hand wasnt shown. I was featured player, and they played 3 hands i lost lol. I fel embarrassed a little lol, these where my big two hands the ones that where before the first hand they showed. (ill uploaded the ones they showed for you if you wish).

Yes as you said Hale i was thinking it was christmas when they called all in but they hit the 7 on the flop so panic hit, with me saying over again "no seven, no ace, no seven, no ace"

Thanks for that little bit of information im not that confident at sticking in pre-flop either, i think the way it worked out last night saved me from abuse for limping lol.