You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have called here?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
  • The first hand played at the final table of a minor tournament so there are 10 players left down from 70, in a LIVE £30 buy-in freezeout
  • I have around 50,000 chips and the av.stack is 50,000.
  • The blinds are 1,500 and 3,000 with ante 300 and I'm on the BB with Ace 3 of spades.

Pre-flop
There is a raise to 6,000 from The Villian UTG, a caller in seat 6, SB calls, and i call for 3,000 more.
Flop
10 spades, J spades, Q hearts. The pot is now 25,000
SB bets 6,000 which feels like a blocker bet to me, I call 6,000 more and The Villian (who raised UTG pre-flop) goes all-in for just over 40,000. seat 6 folds and the SB folds.

There is now 37,000 in the pot, therefore I have to go all-in for my remaining 38,000 to potentially win 113,000

With Ace, 3 of spades I have the nutflush draw plus the gutshot straight. I'm 60% sure the villian has AK as he seems confident. If he has AK I'm around 36% to win 7% to tie. If he's on two pair I'm 40% to win. Therefore the question is do I call with 2:1 odds and risk my tournament? Everyone on the table has around 50,000 and therefore if I win this hand I have almost 2.5 times the stack of everyone and I feel from this position I could easily make top 2.
Additional info:
The rough prize structure is; the top 8 get paid. with 8th through 5th paying £35-£60 and the top 3 getting significantly more with £320 for first, £250 for second, £190 for 3rd. So top 3 is really where I'm aiming, laddering isn't worthwhile as any less than 4th barely doubles your buy-in.

Outcome:
I called and he showed AKo (no spades) for a straight. The turn and river brought no help bringing an 8 and a 5 neither of spades.

This is my first ever question on the forum, I appreciate any feedback, also feedback on how helpful this post was and whether there should be more/less detail would be good. Thankyou for taking the time to help me :)

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I would prob fold pre, as I dont think calling is going to be great here at this stacksize even though you are getting great odds. Shoving is also an option as it adds a healthy chunk to your stack and I would only be worried about utg

Shove flop when SB bets. As played I prob call it off getting 2/1 with those payouts
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Should I have called here?:
    I would prob fold pre, as I dont think calling is going to be great here at this stacksize even though you are getting great odds. Shoving is also an option as it adds a healthy chunk to your stack and I would only be worried about utg Shove flop when SB bets. As played I prob call it off getting 2/1 with those payouts
    Posted by grantorino
    Shoving when the flop comes sounds like a good idea a lot of the time and is a move that I often make. However in this circumstance I'm putting UTG on a monster of a hand. I can't explain why but I thought when I flat called the 6,000 everyone would come along for 6,000 and give me another chance to make my hand so calling seems like a good move at the time.

Would you call when the villian shoves?

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, appreciate it.
  • edited September 2011
    does not answer ur question but may help.

stack dynamics come in to play at latter stage of every tourney and esp very important at every final table. 

since u have a medium stack, Survival is key imo, but this doesnt mean sitting on your stack and being passive. This means avoiding the big stacks, avoiding marginal spots and fishing ur chips away.

Stealing the blinds is important, isolating short stackers and putting pressure on other medium stacks.

if i was in ur shoes i would have folded pf no need to mess around with a UTG raiser with a stack that can knock you out. 

UL tho m8 
    p.s great first thread :)
  • edited September 2011
    does not answer ur question but may help. stack dynamics come in to play at latter stage of every tourney and esp very important at every final table.  since u have a medium stack, Survival is key imo, but this doesnt mean sitting on your stack and being passive. This means avoiding the big stacks, avoiding marginal spots and fishing ur chips away. Stealing the blinds is important, isolating short stackers and putting pressure on other medium stacks. if i was in ur shoes i would have folded pf no need to mess around with a UTG raiser with a stack that can knock you out.  UL tho m8  p.s great first thread :)
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Thanks a lot buddy ;)
  • edited September 2011
    I would agree that A3 suited is one of those hands where you wanna be in it if the price is low, but with your blinds as big as they are there, you only have 18BB's left, it would of been nice to see the flop if you didnt have the raise in front of you but too many times you will not get your flush, fold pre flop and look for a better opportunity :) they will come, and if they dont then someone else will and hopefully said person will knock 1 or 2 people out for you, lol
  • edited September 2011
    Hey wingman. Really enjoyed your post. You explained your situation well which is a big thing for me as I'm relatively new to poker and sometimes get a bit confused reading other posts. One question for you though, what does it mean when you say the ante was 300. Hopefully this question isn't totally ridiculous.   Again, cheers for the great post.
  • edited September 2011
    Hey wingman. Really enjoyed your post. You explained your situation well which is a big thing for me as I'm relatively new to poker and sometimes get a bit confused reading other posts. One question for you though, what does it mean when you say the ante was 300. Hopefully this question isn't totally ridiculous.   Again, cheers for the great post.
    Posted by lyonsie81
    Tournament poker, you have the blinds, but then as you progress in the tournament you get an ANTE, which is how many chips everybody on the table has to put in each hand. Saying that i havent seen Ante's on sky poker tournaments as of yet.
  • edited September 2011
    You should have a plan when calling the raise pre with your suited A you are looking for a flush draw or made flush flop ideally so you should have made your descion pre if your happy getting it in at that point as you said had this gone the otherway you would be in a strong position to finnish the tourny in the big cash. Having decided to flat pre and and the flop bet i think you have to call the shove, but i think i would fold pre (easy to say behind a computer harder to do at the time). A steal with antes and blinds can be very profitable.

Lyonsie81 an Ante as sillymunch said is a price that comes in the later stages of some tournys (none on sky) where everyone has to pay a small amount everyhand almost like another mini blind but it applies to everyone on the table i think it is designed to encourage action and stop people sitting on their stacks but thats just a guess.
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks to sillymunch and jams88 for answering my question.