You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Treading Water

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
I know there probably is no answer to this but I have found my bankroll 'treading water' now for about a month.  I play a combination of cash, DYM's and deepstack MTTs.  I don't feel like I'm losing on any but I'm also not making any bankroll progress!  None of the disciplines are proving a problem and I have cashed in 3 of the last 5 mtts I've played.  Any suggestions to kick my bankroll upwards again?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Treading Water:
    I know there probably is no answer to this but I have found my bankroll 'treading water' now for about a month.  I play a combination of cash, DYM's and deepstack MTTs.  I don't feel like I'm losing on any but I'm also not making any bankroll progress!  None of the disciplines are proving a problem and I have cashed in 3 of the last 5 mtts I've played.  Any suggestions to kick my bankroll upwards again?
    Posted by phil12uk
    Hi Phil,

I often ask myself this same question, i have been treading water for months mate...

Any suggestions would help me too innit.. a big mtt win like the open would help
  • edited October 2009
    Good to see someone actually acting like a grown up and searching for ways of improvement, rather than leaving the site in a huff.
  • edited October 2009
    Load up a couple of tables of 500nl.  Playing lolufold is def +ev.

Either way you won't be treading water no more.  You'll either sink or fly :)
  • edited October 2009
    I'm in a similar boat. I guess we should be happy enough to be getting free entertainment so to speak, but a nice big MTT win would do my bankroll the world of good!
  • edited October 2009

Happens now and again, mine too moves for a week or so then stalls and I end up trading water too.

I have had months where the cash for points has been my only friend.

I like to see it that it could be worse and I'd rather get the free entertainment instead of paying for the priveledge.

At least staying the same doesn't hurt your account, and eventually, if you play as you normally do, then you will hit a run of luck and in turn start to move up again.

• edited October 2009
    A few weeks ago, I was treading water at nl50 after moving up from nl20 where I did very well indeed.  The tread slowly turned to a sink.  I stacked off so many times to outdraws and coolers, then started playing badly through tilt.

I was starting to feel outplayed as well.  I dont know if there is a big difference between nl20 and nl50 standard of play, but it felt like a huge difference.  I`m pretty sure my game didnt change. 

Anyway, I cashed out a fair bit as my car needed quite a bit of work for its MOT, and thought, no probs, I will move back down to nl20 and rebuild.

LOL, within the first hour of nl20, I had done nearly 4 buyins, won a couple lost a couple etc.  I am currently 5 buyins down since moving back to nl20 from nl50 where I was in the middle of a 5 buy in downswing.

I am starting to wander if I`m any good at all at this game and that maybe all the money I was winning at nl20 was just a mega long heater........only time will tell.

Anyway, my point is what I would give to be treading water once again.....lol........gl
  • edited October 2009
    Omahony W TF urrrr good.  And 5 BIs is nothing, especially to a 5 tabler...be worried if your down 20BIs or so.  But 5BIs can easily be done in a multi-tabling session, nothing to worry about man....
  • edited October 2009
    cheers scotty,  but it is actually 10 buyins that im down.  5 from nl50 and 5 from nl20.  I know I shouldnt think this way but it is in the back of my mind that 5 buyins at nl50 is 12.5 buyins at nl20.

Scotty, would you say there is a big difference in standard of oplay between nl20 and nl50?
  • edited October 2009
    The difference isnt clear initially but there is a subtle one.  Could be that there are a 1 or 2 more competent players but it's not as simple as moving down and being able to win again.  I found that .15/.30 was v profitable for me but if I try and move down and play it now, i struggle at first to adapt. I also agree with Scotty that u are a good player Mahoney and should be fine at .25/.50 level.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Treading Water:
    cheers scotty,  but it is actually 10 buyins that im down.  5 from nl50 and 5 from nl20.  I know I shouldnt think this way but it is in the back of my mind that 5 buyins at nl50 is 12.5 buyins at nl20. Scotty, would you say there is a big difference in standard of oplay between nl20 and nl50?
    Posted by OMahonyO
    the only difference is that there are more multi-table reg grinders on 50nl.   i don't particularly think the standard is that different, just maybe that they are more nitty but this can be exploited fairly easily. reads might be a bit more important on 50nl so maybe take more notes.

i find 50nl my most profitable level, in terms of BIs.  but its good that you're rebuilding at 20nl, i have done this many times and it is a good way to clear your head.  i say play there for a while until you get some confidence back.  also it depends on the time of day you are playing.  there are some times when it is very hard t make a profit on 50nl and others where it is free money. 
  • edited October 2009
    Cheers scotty and phil, its given me a bit of a boost actually.  One more thing, and this may be just paranoia, there seem to be a lot more TV tables at nl50 compared to nl20.  Is it possible that ppl are watching these and maybe picking up on my style then exploiting it at the tables.

lol sorry phil if this thread has gone off at a bit of a tangent