You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

c-betting at NL4

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've invested in a reasonable bankroll and I've been grinding NL4 for the last couple of days. Having read DOHHHHHHH's very good stratergy post I was suprised to see such a downer on c-betting as a bluff.

In my experience at this level I've been c-betting in sensible situations and most players fold. Is it about picking the right flops to c-bet. Possition doesn't seem to matter too much. rainbow flops with one paint card. Most of the time your opponent is not going to have hit these flops and if they have they will likely just flat call, giving you a free turn card which you can either hit or shut down afterwards.

Also, should I be betting when I flop a flush draw for value or should I be checking?

People say don't bluff at NL4 but as well as the maniacs there seems to be plenty of players who can fold a hand

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to c-betting at NL4:
    I've invested in a reasonable bankroll and I've been grinding NL4 for the last couple of days. Having read DOHHHHHHH's very good stratergy post I was suprised to see such a downer on c-betting as a bluff. In my experience at this level I've been c-betting in sensible situations and most players fold. Is it about picking the right flops to c-bet. Possition doesn't seem to matter too much. rainbow flops with one paint card. Most of the time your opponent is not going to have hit these flops and if they have they will likely just flat call, giving you a free turn card which you can either hit or shut down afterwards. Also, should I be betting when I flop a flush draw for value or should I be checking? People say don't bluff at NL4 but as well as the maniacs there seems to be plenty of players who can fold a hand
    Posted by jugglegeek
    i always bet a flush draw for 2 reasons.

1: it gives you to chances to win the pot, ie they fold or you hit

2: if you play your draw weak, when you do hit it theres not much money in the pot so it will be hard to get much more money out of someone

as for cbetting, you have to choose your opponant carefully, calling stations will call you down with any pair so use this to your advantage to extract value or loose the minimum.

ive found abc poker works just fine for me at nl4

• edited September 2011

C bet when you have pot equity and/or fold equity.

Flush draws are fine to c-bet to build a pot and /or if your opponent is likely to fold sometimes. Beause your hand will improve alot on later streets a decent %age of the time.

C-betting a board like A J 8 when you have pocket 7s is bad because your opponent is unlikely to fold, and you are drawing very thin to improve your hand, with only 2 outs.

The less chance your hand has of improving on the turn, the more sure you have to be that your opponent is likely to fold to your flop cbet.

Otherwise you're going to find yourself being called by better hands or floated, with no escape on turn or river, as we're almost never gonna double barrell as a bluff at nl4, and we will have v little chance of improving our hand.

Just keep it simple would be my advice.
  • edited September 2011
    I've invested in a reasonable bankroll and I've been grinding NL4 for the last couple of days. Having read DOHHHHHHH's very good stratergy post I was suprised to see such a downer on c-betting as a bluff. In my experience at this level I've been c-betting in sensible situations and most players fold. Is it about picking the right flops to c-bet. Possition doesn't seem to matter too much. rainbow flops with one paint card. Most of the time your opponent is not going to have hit these flops and if they have they will likely just flat call, giving you a free turn card which you can either hit or shut down afterwards. Also, should I be betting when I flop a flush draw for value or should I be checking? People say don't bluff at NL4 but as well as the maniacs there seems to be plenty of players who can fold a hand
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Also regarding this comment.....

My whole post about nl4 was about playing readless.....

It was vvvvv basic and aimed really at people who are losing nl4 players OR players who want to play tonnes of tables and use a rock solid abc strategy to print out money and get out of the level asap.

If you prefer to 1/2/3 and play "properly" by gathering reads and exploiting more marginal spots, then thats cool.

Having reads that a guy is a nit, and are confident to go with it, is a big advantage, something you can't really have when 12+ tabling, and something I wouldn't encourage newbies to worry about too much either.

Can make money easily enough @ nl4 by looking at your cards, and the board. 
  • edited September 2011
    play your button and position very striaght forward- b/f flops no problem - don't c-bet OOP -

You honestly do NOT have to get fancy and play the streets at NL4 to make money, trust me !!

Trust me when I say they will call your c-bet with bottom pr and when you find these players you will
    wish you had hand this time and not ace high

Essentially bluffing with no equity at NL4 is pointless, easier ways to win money then bluff FISH/STATIONS off a 64p pot.

• edited September 2011
    depends on villains - whats their ranges, are they fit or fold, how likely are they to have hit flop, do they float or call with bare overs etc

At 4nl though just dont expect unknowns to fold a pair or a draw
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: c-betting at NL4:
    depends on villains - whats their ranges, are they fit or fold, how likely are they to have hit flop, do they float or call with bare overs etc At 4nl though just dont expect unknowns to fold a pair or a draw
    Posted by grantorino
    LOL

AA to 72o most of the time
  • edited September 2011
    Posted by jugglegeek
    With limited experience of nl4, I think DOHHHHHHH's advice on c-betting is pretty sound.

Seems to me you can take down some pots with a c-bet, but you can also lose as many pots for more money than you need to.

There's a lot of players won't lay down any pair or any draw, and if your c-bet gets called it's often very difficult to have any clue what hand you're up against.
  • edited September 2011
    There were certain players I was comfortable c betting vs but as a rule of thumb not much point c betting with little chance of improving readless at 4nl, because they will chase any draw/call any connection the majority of the time.