You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

When to stop in cash games when u are up money????

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
When to stop in cash games when u are up money ????

Comments

• edited September 2011
    you need to set yourself a target, but in all honesty people leave when they are up and try make there money when they are down, this is the opposite of what you want to be doing, when your winning you have a strong table image, and when your losing alot of hands you have a weak table image, so when you are up you should keep going until your happy with your profit margin for that session
  • edited September 2011
    forget about being up or down just play for how ever long you want, if your playing bad then leave
  • edited September 2011
    If you want to be conservative you can set yourself a certain % that you will leave a table at. Example you sit with 5% of your roll and you win a couple of big pots and that money becomes the equivalent of 10% of your roll then you stand.

Generally I will sit on a table until I get bored/lose concentration or focus/suffer a significant loss of momentum/have won a decent profit/the table fills up with too many solid regs.
  • edited September 2011
    You can be UP on money playing cash, how does that work ?
  • edited September 2011
    This is ludicrous, you can't set yourself a target to be up in any session. What happens when you find that bad day when you walk KK into AA and walk your bottom set into top set etc and lose a couple of BIs, you just keep playing and keep playing til you meet your target?

Just play for a set amount of time or a set number of hands. I usually do 2 hour sessions and you get around 80-100 hands per hour on 4NL 6 max tables and I'll play usually 3 tables, so that is about 240-300 hands per hour. At the end of your session, if you're up, you're up, if you're break even or down then it doesn't matter, as long as you're playing well and playing within your BR so you can take a few hits.

In the long run, a good solid player will win at 4NL but don't try and be in profit every session because it wont happen.

• edited September 2011
    It is an interesting subject. I was going to post something along these lines as i sometimes lose some of the profit made in a session.

Dont set yourself a target to hit. You'll start chasing hands that are'nt there if your not making much progress.

I have noticed in my own game that when i first start a session i tend to lose a bit before i start grinding away so what i did was make sure i played ultra tight for the first few orbits until i get in to the groove. I also have a rule in my head that if i lose the equivalent buy ins to how many tables i am playing then i will knock it on the head for a bit. For example, if i am 3 tabling i wont lose anymore than 3 buy ins. I keep a track of what i have topped up on a pad and keep track on what i have done so far this session.

As for winning, it totally depends on the table and how i am feeling. If i still feel there is value at the table i will hang around and try and exploit it but if i feel my game is just dipping then i have no problem coming away. The thing i tend to experience, and i dont know if this is a common thing, is that if i say to myself that i will stop at a certain time, it seems that i get a beat that ruins my session. I am trying to rectify this by coming away if i think the poker Gods are toying with me a bit. You know, giving me some marginal hands to play on the button and then giving me a flush/straight draw that never hits. If i feel that my stack is on the slide ever so slightly, i now move away and take what i've got. I always feel i should have hung around a bit longer after i have left but i try and tell myself that discipline is the key to this. Seems to have improved my sessions to be fair. I find this helps me not chase losses and also not to be overgreedy when things are going well.

Dont know if this is the correct way to think of this but it seems to be working for me at the moment.
  • edited September 2011
    Depends what the relevant stack sizes are compared to your own and what percentage of your BR is on the table.
    Anything above 10% of your BR you should stand up, but if your oppo's have 100 bigs then no need to stand.

Whatever the situation if your approaching 20% of your BR then stand

Also if you feel like the amount of money you have won starts to affect the way you play- stand

• edited September 2011

If there is value at the table stay until you need matchsticks to keep awake. If there is no value at the table then leave and try to find one with value. 
      ps. might be worth leaving if you run AA into Quad 7s , like i did against rancid 2 days ago lol.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: When to stop in cash games when u are up money????:
    It is an interesting subject. I was going to post something along these lines as i sometimes lose some of the profit made in a session. Dont set yourself a target to hit. You'll start chasing hands that are'nt there if your not making much progress. I have noticed in my own game that when i first start a session i tend to lose a bit before i start grinding away so what i did was make sure i played ultra tight for the first few orbits until i get in to the groove. I also have a rule in my head that if i lose the equivalent buy ins to how many tables i am playing then i will knock it on the head for a bit. For example, if i am 3 tabling i wont lose anymore than 3 buy ins. I keep a track of what i have topped up on a pad and keep track on what i have done so far this session. As for winning, it totally depends on the table and how i am feeling. If i still feel there is value at the table i will hang around and try and exploit it but if i feel my game is just dipping then i have no problem coming away. The thing i tend to experience, and i dont know if this is a common thing, is that if i say to myself that i will stop at a certain time, it seems that i get a beat that ruins my session. I am trying to rectify this by coming away if i think the poker Gods are toying with me a bit. You know, giving me some marginal hands to play on the button and then giving me a flush/straight draw that never hits. If i feel that my stack is on the slide ever so slightly, i now move away and take what i've got. I always feel i should have hung around a bit longer after i have left but i try and tell myself that discipline is the key to this. Seems to have improved my sessions to be fair. I find this helps me not chase losses and also not to be overgreedy when things are going well. Dont know if this is the correct way to think of this but it seems to be working for me at the moment.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Just a tip I recently started doing was make a note of your balance in your account before you start then every 30 minutes or so add up the totals on your tables plus what's in your account now and find the difference, this I find a good way of knowing where I am and also very accurate.
  • edited September 2011
    This is soooooooooooooo simplez

Ya leave a table if ure runnin bad

Ya stay at a table if ure runnin good , and leave as soon as it turns

NEVER EVER FAILS