You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to win bounties?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've played a few of these both live and online and I just don't win the head prizes. Is it because I play tight agressive (raising in possition or with good hands pre, c-betting most dry flops). Do bounty hunter games favour more passive players who trap opponents by calling pre-flop raises and flopping unlikely monsters. Or is my experience just short term variance because I don't play loads of them because I don't like them

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to How to win bounties?:
    I've played a few of these both live and online and I just don't win the head prizes. Is it because I play tight agressive (raising in possition or with good hands pre, c-betting most dry flops). Do bounty hunter games favour more passive players who trap opponents by calling pre-flop raises and flopping unlikely monsters. Or is my experience just short term variance because I don't play loads of them because I don't like them
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Bounty Hunters is all about playing your opponents weaknesses, if they are agressive then you can trap them, if they are conservative you wont be winning the money on there head till later stages of the tourney, or you both get strong hands.....
    Alternatively and people like TommyD are probably the pro's at this, they see a stack they want the whole stack not just some of it, so they will make the appropriate raise pre flop which then leads to a continuation value bet, if hes got a biter then the bet on the turn is meant to be ensuring the player is pot commited so he can push all in and get the call, if you dont get the call no worries cus he will be severly lower stacked, which can be good for you, but also can be good for someone else if they get the cards at the right time, the only thing i would say about bounty hunters is dont think of the bounty on there head, aim to get up there, and pick off the lower stackers, most people make one mistake and that is to go in far too agressive in the hopes of taking people out really early and yes this can work, but they arent the people who are gonna win in the tourney, and what you gotta remember is later on the bountys are a lot bigger.....
  • edited September 2011
    think it's just the same as a freezeout tbh - some players might play a bit looser to try get some bounties but generally just play the same as you always would and adjust to your table selection - if you don't like them, just don't play them lol
  • edited September 2011
    Gamble for them. 3 bounties makes you a winner no matter where you finish. With a big stack ill call and isolate the small stack with any 2 reasonable cards
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: How to win bounties?:
    Gamble for them. 3 bounties makes you a winner no matter where you finish. With a big stack ill call and isolate the small stack with any 2 reasonable cards
    Posted by jimb0d1
    This is not great advice imo.

i do target for 3 bounties early on in these. This means a) ive built a stack, b) im freerolling.

However saying we;re a winner for getting 3 heads is seriously -EV imo.

To the origional poster now, you say your not getting heads, thats not a bad thing, and it sounds like your playing good poker aswell. Heads will come when you play like this not as often as those that play 95% of hands get them but remember, you get more for winning the tournament than taking a few heads.

I started out on bounty hunters and i found that you have to be more willing to call all ins with a wider range. However i still have my range. find a weak spot in an opponent. On the whole i prefer to play bounty hunters with a shorter stack for the simple reason people call so much lighter, and for that reason i think that makes it easier. I just pick my range and go for it