You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

folding a FH at NL4 correct?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
nobbyg1 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.28
speisa Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.99
 Your hole cards

loftyoops Fold     
goldstar07 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.88
The_Don90 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £5.07
BambiBus Call  £0.04 £0.18 £1.44
nobbyg1 Call  £0.02 £0.20 £1.26
speisa Check     
Flop

• A
  • A

nobbyg1 Check     
speisa Check     
goldstar07 Check     
The_Don90 Check     
BambiBus Check     
Turn

• A

nobbyg1 Check     
speisa Check     
goldstar07 Check     
The_Don90 Check     
BambiBus Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £1.24
nobbyg1 Fold     
speisa Fold     
goldstar07 Fold     
The_Don90 Fold     
BambiBus Muck     
BambiBus Win  £0.18  £1.42
BambiBus Return  £0.20 £0.02 £1.62

Comments

• edited September 2011
     If you are going to play hands in this style then the fold was correct but 2 streets too late. Limping in with small pp is not the way to go because all you do is encourage every overcard available to call as well.

Your only plan in the hand was to get in cheap get lucky and hope that someone else got lucky as well but not quite as lucky as you and so would pay you off. This style is never good because you will only hit your set about 1 in 8 flops and when you do you have to hope that someone else has hit as well in order to pay you off.

The game is a very simple one. No matter what your holding be it AA or 72o you only have 2 sensible options preflop(when unopened) and that is raise or fold.Bad decisions on one street lead to difficulties on later streets. In this hand you have no idea where you are at any stage because of your passive play pre. The guy who bets out could have ATC and just using position to steal because you and others have shown no interest. Simple rules if you raise you dont have to hit but if you call then you do.
  • edited September 2011
    Yh raise pre to 20p.

As played have to fold.
  • edited September 2011

I'm fine with the limp, both blinds below 40xbb.

ez fold post flop, no dramas. 
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: folding a FH at NL4 correct?:
    I'm fine with the limp, both blinds below 40xbb. ez fold post flop, no dramas. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i agree limps ok with stack sizes
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah limp ok but it is purely to try and flop a 4. When you don't, you've got to fold to the first bet.
  • edited September 2011
    Why is it ok folding here?? unlikely they have the case ace, surely they raise with a 7. Pre most hands their limping are going to be KQ/KJ/QJ/Q10 etc,

Basically i call as i think we're good here, im not folding to 1 silly bet also they should check the river alot of the time for free showdown
  • edited September 2011
    limping at NL4 with low pocket pair is absolutely fine, if you hit your set then your going to get paid by one of the many donks at this level. If not and face raises then uve invested 4p into the pot and you can easily get away with next to nothing invested.

I think Talon has been watching too much tele or is used to playing higher stakes,he obviously has no experience playing at this level as if he raises it up to 12/16 you more than likely get at least 2 callers.

Played it fine for me
  • edited September 2011
    Limp is fine, raise to inflate pot when you hit set but hey ho
    Late postion I finks you gotta b raising pre

as played

probably betting flop, maybe only better is calling so mmmmm, maybe worse Kx hands

probably calling turn, not laying down yet - see what he fires on river - 
  • edited September 2011
    Limp is fine, raise to inflate pot when you hit set but hey ho Late postion I finks you gotta b raising pre as played probably betting flop, maybe only better is calling so mmmmm, maybe worse Kx hands probably calling turn, not laying down yet - see what he fires on river - 
    Posted by rancid
    Ole someone who goes against the grain wp and i agree :D
  • edited September 2011
    Limp is fine, raise to inflate pot when you hit set but hey ho Late postion I finks you gotta b raising pre as played probably betting flop, maybe only better is calling so mmmmm, maybe worse Kx hands probably calling turn, not laying down yet - see what he fires on river - 
    Posted by rancid
    i think coz they all have shallow stacks im limping here, i want to keep everyone in and if i hit there wont be a problem getting stacks in, if i open and blinds play back  im calling with 4s and racing and losing an edge

i think you can value bet flop vs these but there equity wont be terrible

as played im not folding turn either and prolly call river
  • edited September 2011
    limp is fine

call turn if ya like bettin red or black imo
  • edited September 2011
    only thing beating you is.... Another ace which nobody has by looks of things, or they would of raised up, a person with a 7, again they would probably raise, and a higher pair
    The only part i disagree with is after the flop since your just 1 from the button you see a lot of action, which was check, you dont get any info what so ever in this, so in this position i would be inclined to raise it, you have to pay for information so if you wanna know where you are in a hand you gotta raise it up, checking gives you nothing except since every single person has checked the likelyhood is they dont have an ace, and they dont have a 7, the probably dont have pocket pairs or they themselves will probably raise it, and even if they have small pocket pairs they might get scared of the raise

When i look at the information this is what it tells me, Bambibuss is probably looking at the board and thinking well if nobody wants this pot sure ill take it, raise, hes on the button its his perogative to take the pot that nobody wants, however if you had raised and he called you then you know your beaten and you can safely lay it down
  • edited September 2011
    only thing beating you is.... Another ace which nobody has by looks of things, or they would of raised up, a person with a 7, again they would probably raise, and a higher pair The only part i disagree with is after the flop since your just 1 from the button you see a lot of action, which was check, you dont get any info what so ever in this, so in this position i would be inclined to raise it, you have to pay for information so if you wanna know where you are in a hand you gotta raise it up, checking gives you nothing except since every single person has checked the likelyhood is they dont have an ace, and they dont have a 7, the probably dont have pocket pairs or they themselves will probably raise it, and even if they have small pocket pairs they might get scared of the raise When i look at the information this is what it tells me, Bambibuss is probably looking at the board and thinking well if nobody wants this pot sure ill take it, raise, hes on the button its his perogative to take the pot that nobody wants, however if you had raised and he called you then you know your beaten and you can safely lay it down
    Posted by sillymunch
    Silly, I definitely don't advocate 'betting for information' at 4NL. I know these days it's not a term a lot of people like anyway but aside from that, at 4NL, you always wanna be betting for value and where is the value here. What hand will call you that's worse than 44? Nothing. You're playing these small PPs to hit a set, if you don't you just shut off, check it down til you're forced to fold.

You're also throwing away a free chance to hit your 4 on the turn because if you bet and he re-raises, A) you have to fold and B) you've thrown away more chips than you needed to.

At this level, you bet when there are worse hands that will call you.