You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

6-7 off suit heads up (very short)

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i was playing a live game saturday night, and i got to heads up, the prize difference was £220 and £165.  i was playing against the player i know better than any1, i had 7bb's and he had me at about 8-1 chip deficit.  he started shoving and he had shoved 2 buttons out of the last 3, when on the 4th he shoved and i snap called with 6-7 off.  he had king 5 and i doubled up, now all ive had off him is abuse, now that doesnt bother be because i know my reasons were good ones which he cannot seem to fathom.  my reasons being that i needed a double up when it was actually going to help me back into the tournament not when ive lost another 3 bigs and it got me back to where i was originally, and 6-7 can hit alot of flops hard.  now i knew what i was guaranteed (prize) and was happy to get it in with this hand against his any2 shoving range, i tried to explain to him that it wud have ended up with me being blinded out waiting for aces, but he couldnt understand it.  i took a chance to win the tournament and it paid off.  ur comments please.  and if i had got my money in first i know it would have been better but i didnt have enough chips to wait.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Ur call is fine, but i disagree that it hits alot of flops

you needed a double up so why not risk it where you have at least 2 live cards + suited not worst call imo
  • edited September 2011
    nothing wrong with it at all and he cant complain if he shoved with K-5 he only had 1 over card i assume his were unsuited aswel. And yes 67 suited has a lot of potential and are live. Im sure he wouldnt of complained if he hit his 5. Sounds like hes a bad loser is all.
  • edited September 2011
    id fold and shove next btn
  • edited September 2011
    I agree with lol_raise. Ultimately you callled off your stack with 7 high. King high is about 60% - 65% to win this. Fold here, shove the next hand on the button with any two.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: 6-7 off suit heads up (very short):
    I agree with lol_raise. Ultimately you callled off your stack with 7 high. King high is about 60% - 65% to win this. Fold here, shove the next hand on the button with any two.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    what differnce is that going to make apart from the other calls and he might of got even worse like 2,5 off lol. He won the tonry cos he had the balls to go with it. No stratagy when that short just gotta gamble.
  • edited September 2011
    He's not so short that he can't get his opponent to fold the next hand. 67 is far below the average random hand and so he knows that calling will most likely mean needing to hit. He can fold here, shove the next hand. If he does that he'll have two chances of winning that hand: Most likely his opponent folds, or he can win at showdown.

Push your opponent around when you act first and only call pre-flop when you have a reasonable chance to be ahead: Q,10 and above.
  • edited September 2011
    key difference is next hand you act first so at least have some fold equity - unless he's calling anything - but odds are you will have better than 7high

• edited September 2011
    yes i agree that 7high is a tad loose,  i do know that shoving the button gives me 2 chances to win,  but if on the next hand i pick up ace king/queen etc and open shove he might fold, ok ive made the blind i just surrendered back, but its not the result i wanted, in the 67 hand the money was already in the middle and i needed to double up when it wud have made a difference to my stack, also knowing the player as well as i do in that situation his range was literally any2 for a shove.   i was happy taking a shot with 67 knowing i need to hit, and knowing he didnt have a huge hand.

thankyou for your feedback.