You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors???

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors ???

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors???:
    How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors ???
    Posted by PawnStar
    with hands like suited connectors you wanna avoid them unless there are plenty of other people in the pot, usually you want 3-4 people in the pot to make it profitable of a call, so if it is being raised i wouldnt bother calling as you will miss the flop too many times to be throwing away that kind of money xD

as for pocket pairs, if its small or medium your trying to get a set, if you get 2-3 limpers you could make this profitable but its hard to say, maybe 3x big blind you could call, but just remember you will be folding most of the time so its your call
  • edited September 2011
    depends on so many things
    the most general answer would be not much in a hu pot
  • edited September 2011
    Depends on your stack and the oppo's against the implied odds of hitting your hand

so eg. 8/1 to hit set - you need these implied odds to make a call

if your only getting a possible 4/1 return if you win the hand  then you don't call because your not getting the price

Look at the odds of hitting certain flops with certain holdings, this will give you an idea if your priced in to call
    Without knowing the implied odds then you never know if it's the right call

• edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors???:
    woooosh!
    Posted by pod1

lol

text edit: Sarcasm

Do you think this is too much for some so small in the big pond they call Sky poker

I would elaborate but I just have not got the time to write lengthy posts

To the OP, I am sure you can find articles relating too implied odds and such like if you have no idea what I was talking about

• edited September 2011
    lol rancid, after reading op and way it was written i thought your answer although very good might go over the head 

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors???:
    Depends on your stack and the oppo's against the implied odds of hitting your hand so eg. 8/1 to hit set - you need these implied odds to make a call if your only getting a possible 4/1 return if you win the hand  then you don't call because your not getting the price Look at the odds of hitting certain flops with certain holdings, this will give you an idea if your priced in to call Without knowing the implied odds then you never know if it's the right call
    Posted by rancid
    I agree with what you are saying but we nearly always need more than 8/1 implied to setmine
  • edited September 2011
    In summary OP....

Small to medium pairs and suited connectors are not going to turn into better hands on the flop very often so you need to be sure that when you do see the flop you want, you're going to get back the money (and more) for all the times you've called, got nothing on the flop and had to fold. Obviously the way to get more money/chips is when either there's lots of people in the pot or the person you're in the pot with has a large stack and you believe isn't too tight.

For instance, you call 60 chips on 10 seperate occasions with 78suited, 9 of them you get nothing on the flop so you have to fold (so you've lost 540 chips there) but the 1 time you flop a straight...now if you are heads up, and he doesn't hit anything on the flop, you might be lucky to get 200-300 chips out of him because he might fold to any bet which means you've lost in total over the 10 hands. BUT if when you flopped that straight there were 4 others in, you should find it fairly easy to get the 540 (and more) chips that you've lost when you didn't hit.

Note: I'm obviously not saying these are the odds of flopping a straight, just explaining the basic principles of deciding if calls are profitable or not from given odds.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: How much money sure u call with hands like pairs and suited connectors??? : I agree with what you are saying but we nearly always need more than 8/1 implied to setmine
    Posted by grantorino

Agreed, but it was aimed at the OP too lead them down the merry road of implied odds 

As you know implied odds is a murky underbelly of poker filled with unknown probabilities 

POD yeah I know what you meant, maybe over the heads but hey ho, he did ask and frankly if he reads up then 
    he may well get too understand a little bit more.
    I don't think you can explain implied odds in one post if maybe the OP does not understand basic odds :S

• edited September 2011
    i think you would be surprised at the amount of players that dont understand it, and reverse implied odds well dont get me started!!
  • edited September 2011
    bout tree fiddy