You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Any advice on how to play in closing stages of tournys?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I seem to regularly crash out just before the bubble or when I make it cannot seem to sustain it to get a better win.  I have tried playing ultra tight but find I can get bullied into making an all in call and lose.  Have tried getting aggressive and getting called on all ins and still missing out. 

Just wondering if any of you wonderful people have any tips to help me improve?

Many thanks everyone...:-)

Comments

• edited September 2011
    You don't really want to be calling all-ins unless you have a really big PP.

Around the bubble is usually when alot of people tighten up to make sure they cash. If you've got 10-15BBs (or less) then I'd suggest shoving in late positions (the button or the cutoff) with virtually any 2 if no-one has come into the pot yet. I don't know if you're already aware of this but I'll say it anyway... with any stack up to about 20BBS, do NOT limp (although I don't suggest this ever really) and do NOT raise with the intention of folding to a re-raise or folding the flop. Essentially it's shove or fold.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Any advice on how to play in closing stages of tournys?:
    You don't really want to be calling all-ins unless you have a really big PP. Around the bubble is usually when alot of people tighten up to make sure they cash. If you've got 10-15BBs (or less) then I'd suggest shoving in late positions (the button or the cutoff) with virtually any 2 if no-one has come into the pot yet. I don't know if you're already aware of this but I'll say it anyway... with any stack up to about 20BBS, do NOT limp (although I don't suggest this ever really) and do NOT raise with the intention of folding to a re-raise or folding the flop. Essentially it's shove or fold.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Lambert will try have a go :-)
  • edited September 2011
    either have enough chips at bubble not to worry about bubble and glide through it

or

just get aggro against medium stacks
  • edited September 2011
    either have enough chips at bubble not to worry about bubble and glide through it or just get aggro against medium stacks
    Posted by rancid
    Yeah agree with this totally also if ya are very short say 7-10 bb's its not the worse idea in the world IF ure UTG and ya blinds are obv next to just shove with any 2 especially if ure holdin say suited connecters or 78 89 910os etc cos ure prob still only gonna only be called by a big hand and these cards can play well vs this type of hand , its worked for myself many many times
  • edited September 2011
    dont 3 x raise 2.1 or min raise is sufficient

always have a plan if someone shoves on you would you call, if less then 15 bb i would not raise with the intention of folding

look for good spots to nick blinds if people are weak on the blinds or just waiting to ladder/cash put them under pressure some people even fold less then 5 bb so make a note aswell

My main advice would be not to call or limp re-raise or fold
  • edited September 2011
    what day you going up to dtd john

• edited September 2011
    what day you going up to dtd john
    Posted by pod1
    Friday mate, yourself? PM maybe or FB rather then derail thread
  • edited September 2011
    fair enough, regarding post, get your money in first, its a lot harder for them to call an all in with anything apart from premium hands, pick your spot and pick your players.

• edited September 2011
    Position is key, a marginal hand on the button is more valuable than a better hand UTG.

And as pod says pick your opponents. Who will raise then fold to a 3bet ? Who is a calling station? Who has a bigstack and gets involved in every pot?

Avoid throwing chips away by calling or minraising OOP.

Do try and apply pressure around the bubble.

Dont panic if your stack goes under 10BBs, wait for the better spot. Many a tournament has been won from 3 or 4 big blinds.
  • edited September 2011
    depends on your stack, everybody elses stack, your position, whether it's on the cash/ft bubble, how the opponents play/see you

generally if you have a decent stack you want to apply as much pressure as poss to shorter stacks, esp near the bubble
    open reg in late position, you can 3b steal a higher % near bubble - generally be more aggressive with a bigger stack
  • edited September 2011
    Excellent advice guys. Many, many thanks and I will try to put all this advice to good use.

Good luck on the tables everyone (except when you're against me lol :-)