You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash players sharkscope rating?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Would you place any value on a players sharkscope rating when making notes ona cash table, or is it completely irrelevant for a different discipline?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    It may posssibly give ya some idea of a players ability but i prefer just to stick to my notes
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah I'd stick to your own notes... A good example is that I think I'm a pretty competent cash players at the low levels but my Sharkscope doesn't really back that up as I don't play alot of MTTs and haven't got a great record in them.

Then you got people like the Don who says he is a real consistent winner of MTTs and yet struggles to get his head round 4NL... different strokes for different folks.
  • edited September 2011
    i am average at both so they are comparable to a point!!
  • edited September 2011
    apparently i was told my sharkscope rating is £-70
    to be honest which is probably accurate but from when i was a recreational player, now im taking my game serious and ok i still make some wierd calls resulting in a loss but for the past 6 days ive played a disciplined style of ABC poker, the style i hate to play but its nescesary to in NL4

my point is people who i meet on the tables see that and think this guys a fish, they call my big bets assuming im bluffing or trying to trap me, and i get paid off, the thing sharkscope doesnt take into account is that players improve over time. so yeah it can give you a good idea on what type of player it is, but its not gonna be 100% accurate
  • edited September 2011
    MTT play is quite different to cash so I wouldn't put too much value in anything it says. If you see a player make a bizzare play in a hand which shows he's bad that will be more valuable to you imo.
  • edited September 2011
    I would have said yes, until i carried out a quick search on the guys that have posted here.
    So a definite no imo.

Mac
  • edited September 2011
    I'm not sure how to take that Macacan? Is that good or bad? lol.

Just had another look at mine, aint seen it for a while and it's not quite as bad as I thought but yeah small sample size.
  • edited September 2011
    As most players know cash and mtts are totally different and like someone said above notes etc of cash play is alot more to go on than sharkscope ratings but if you have no notes on a player at a cash table then doing a quick sharkscope search should give you some idea of his ability at poker.

Idealy though you should just go off what you see for yourself at the table.
  • edited September 2011
    I wouldn't take too much notice if they have positive tourny stats.....

But if they have poor tourny stats, they r 'probably' poor at cash also. 
  • edited September 2011
    Winning MTT/SNG players can be loosing cash players and vice versa

I know a lot of winning cash players who dump money in MTT/STT/SNG's, but they are still winning money at cash even though there stats in MTT/STT/SNG state otherwise

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash players sharkscope rating?:
    I wouldn't take too much notice if they have positive tourny stats..... But if they have poor tourny stats, they r 'probably' poor at cash also. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Dont normally disagree with ya that much dohhh but i do here as there is far far far more variance in mtt's than cash

EDIT just an example

Win 9 hands in an mtt , go really well then get rivered by a bad caller and go OUT

Win 9 decent pots at cash , lose 1 and still be vastly in profit
  • edited September 2011
    No, before Lolufold started playing HU SnGs and won the Primo recently he showed as a fish on sharkscope.
  • edited September 2011
    irrelivant most of the time
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash players sharkscope rating?:
    I'm not sure how to take that Macacan? Is that good or bad? lol. Just had another look at mine, aint seen it for a while and it's not quite as bad as I thought but yeah small sample size.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Just a quick search on pod and debs. I certainly wouldnt like to base any cash skills info against their sharkscope stats, you may find yourself out of pocket if you sit down with them at the cash table.

Mac
  • edited September 2011

i think sharkscope can help you to form an idea of someone's overall ability at poker. 
    you can also see their average buy in - if its high it probably means they are less likely to be a complete fish (this may be more helpful on this site than some others)

its not something to rely on heavily but i think it can add to the overall picture of a player