You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this a good bluff, bad bluff,

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Its not something i like to do especially not on NL4 but well as you will see what happens im just wondering from the better players, would you of believed it, and secondly what would you put them on?

Hand History #410882297 (21:21 05/09/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCurt360x27Small blind £0.02£0.02£3.78autotaff26Big blind £0.04£0.06£0.82ELVISSit out     Your hole cards33   sillymunchCall £0.04£0.10£4.41blondie999Call £0.04£0.14£4.39drakaCall £0.04£0.18£1.70TOD19Call £0.04£0.22£4.15RANGERS054Fold    wizzywis12Fold    FlashHarryFold    Curt360x27Fold    autotaff26Check    Flop  A105   autotaff26Check    sillymunchCheck    blondie999Check    drakaCheck    TOD19Check    Turn  K   autotaff26Check    sillymunchCheck    blondie999Check    drakaCheck    TOD19Bet £0.17£0.39£3.98autotaff26Fold    sillymunchCall £0.17£0.56£4.24blondie999Fold    drakaCall £0.17£0.73£1.53River  Q   sillymunchBet £0.24£0.97£4.00drakaFold    TOD19Fold    sillymunchMuck   <td class="hhamt" style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;paddi

Comments

• edited September 2011
    DONT bluff at this level.

You've managed to see a very cheap flop with your 33, all you wanna be doing is hoping you flop another 3, if you don't, I'd just shut off.

The number of people who won't fold top pair, or 2nd pair, or even 3rd pair at this level is ridiculous so you're lucky you got it through. Alot of the time, you lose this hand.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: is this a good bluff, bad bluff,:
    DONT bluff at this level. You've managed to see a very cheap flop with your 33, all you wanna be doing is hoping you flop another 3, if you don't, I'd just shut off. The number of people who won't fold top pair, or 2nd pair, or even 3rd pair at this level is ridiculous so you're lucky you got it through. Alot of the time, you lose this hand.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I know exactly what your saying is true, but my read on the whole situation was this
    Nobody liked the flop, nobody liked the turn, the person on the button raises it up, i personally didnt believe his raise so i called, then the Queen hit but as i didnt know where i stood in the hand i put in a raise to see what he would do.

So ok yes it is a bluff cus any of them could of had a 10 K Q J or Ace, however the way i had played the hand seemed to suggest a draw even though that wasnt my intention at the time and i felt that the price was worth getting some info on my opponents
  • edited September 2011
    regardless of the read post flop you should not be betting, fold as soon as any action

dont bluff at nl4 ever, what exactly are you trying to rep other then noone liked the flop they could easily have hit turn or river then you would have been called

take bluffs out completely at this level and also dont take shots at nl10 when you have less then 3 buy ins

FWIW it may even be a fold pre rather then limp utg unless the other players were letting people in for cheap flops
  • edited September 2011
    If you want to bluff in your game thats up to you although as you would gather not recommended at this level lol but i wouldnt be bluffing OOP in a multiway flop at any level
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: is this a good bluff, bad bluff, : I know exactly what your saying is true, but my read on the whole situation was this Nobody liked the flop, nobody liked the turn, the person on the button raises it up, i personally didnt believe his raise so i called, then the Queen hit but as i didnt know where i stood in the hand i put in a raise to see what he would do. So ok yes it is a bluff cus any of them could of had a 10 K Q J or Ace, however the way i had played the hand seemed to suggest a draw even though that wasnt my intention at the time and i felt that the price was worth getting some info on my opponents
    Posted by sillymunch
    Yeah I'm still agreeing with myself and the people above. The bluff is completely horrible. Just do not bluff at this level full stop. C-betting on some flops and some situations (definitely not all) is ok but if you get called/raised and you haven't hit, that is the end of the hand for you.
  • edited September 2011
    pretty horrible tbh
    why do you even call the turn? fold
    c/f river

it's not even the fact its 4nl - you're in about a 64way pot with 97th pair and you call a pot size bet ? at any level that's a bad play
  • edited September 2011
    ill be completely honest, the reason i call it is because quite frankly it was 17p lmao, and for 17p i still could of hit the set on the last card, ibviously had the raise been bigger or the pot started to be built after the flop i would have to fold, but for the sake of 17p i was willing to gamble
  • edited September 2011
    Long term you're setting fire to money here.
  • edited September 2011
    ill be completely honest, the reason i call it is because quite frankly it was 17p lmao, and for 17p i still could of hit the set on the last card, ibviously had the raise been bigger or the pot started to be built after the flop i would have to fold, but for the sake of 17p i was willing to gamble
    Posted by sillymunch
    In cash, you need to think of it as a number of Big Blinds, not a cash amount so 17p is just over 4BBs. so if it was 10NL, that would be maybe 42p but you should treat it as the exact same bet size. It is hard but you have to try to not treat the amounts on cash tables as real money because when you get to the higher limits (if that's your aim) how will you handle bets when you're playing £1/£2.

Especially because bluffing like this at any level is going to massively increase the variance in your game and you haven't got the biggest BR in the world so I think even more so you should be playing straight forward ABC poker.
  • edited September 2011
    when you are going to bluff do it with a hand that is going to have > 2outs

i would much rather have like 56s or some gutter + fd
  • edited September 2011
    lol long term i am setting fire to money if im making these calls all the time, i already said its not my typical move lol, but i found myself in the situation and painted a story in my mind, i thought to myself what do they think i might have that im calling after a check, and then i decided right at the end, it was a on the spot decision im gonna see how much they want this pot, and clearly they didnt, im not saying i played it well, im saying i went with my gut, and it paid off...

Nobody is actually answering the second part of my question, what do you think they had?
  • edited September 2011
    lol long term i am setting fire to money if im making these calls all the time, i already said its not my typical move lol, but i found myself in the situation and painted a story in my mind, i thought to myself what do they think i might have that im calling after a check, and then i decided right at the end, it was a on the spot decision im gonna see how much they want this pot, and clearly they didnt, im not saying i played it well, im saying i went with my gut, and it paid off... Nobody is actually answering the second part of my question, what do you think they had?
    Posted by sillymunch
    You bet a 3rd of the pot on the end and somehow made two players fold, this WILL NOT happen often at NL4.
  • edited September 2011
    it doesnt matter what you think they had nl4 its not worth bluffing the river in a multiway pot its just sillly at this level

Also i cant see what your repping for it to be a good bluff anyway?