You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was I right to ignore the possibilty of a bigger overpair?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.88
Spence86 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.16
  Your hole cards

elliam4401 Raise   £0.20 £0.26 £3.64
usoges24 Fold        
golfman28 Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £0.18 £0.44 £3.70
Spence86 Fold        
Flop

Lambert180 Bet   £0.64 £1.08 £3.06
elliam4401 Call   £0.64 £1.72 £3.00
Turn

Lambert180 All-in   £3.06 £4.78 £0.00
elliam4401 All-in   £3.00 £7.78 £0.00
Lambert180 Unmatched bet   £0.06 £7.72 £0.06
Lambert180 Show

elliam4401 Show
  • Q
  • Q

River

elliam4401 Win Pair of Queens £7.14   £7.14

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I know it's 4NL and I don't I've more than got the basics but I was 5-tabling for the first time so some decisions were slightly faster than I normally would make them but I'm just wondering if I overplayed the tens a bit.
  • edited September 2011
    dunno my gd m8 , you tell me ?? ;))
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    debdobs_67 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.07
    Bramhall21 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £5.73
     Your hole cards

KAZ62 Fold     
    jtm Fold     
    chair_m Call  £0.10 £0.25 £2.87
    Doo1 Raise  £0.50 £0.75 £7.14
    debdobs_67 Call  £0.45 £1.20 £9.62
    Bramhall21 Fold     
    chair_m Call  £0.40 £1.60 £2.47
    Flop

debdobs_67 Bet  £0.80 £2.40 £8.82
    chair_m Fold     
    Doo1 Raise  £1.70 £4.10 £5.44
    debdobs_67 Call  £0.90 £5.00 £7.92
    Turn

debdobs_67 Check     
    Doo1 Bet  £3.75 £8.75 £1.69
    debdobs_67 All-in  £7.92 £16.67 £0.00
    Doo1 All-in  £1.69 £18.36 £0.00
    debdobs_67 Unmatched bet  £2.48 £15.88 £2.48
    debdobs_67 Show

Doo1 Show
    • A
    • A

River

Doo1 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 4s £14.68  £14.68

• edited September 2011

c/c flop

Yes you completely overplayed your hand. The worst hand you get called by on turn is 9x, and there are more hands that beat you than 9x in his range

Why the big overbets? Hate them readless

• edited September 2011
    this is played v.bad imo

i'm never leading out that flop, esp readless - you're folding out everything you're ahead of- i'm c/c 
    the turn is the worst - you're rarely gonna be called by worse - if you can't handle 5 tables don't play 5 tables

• edited September 2011
    yours is pretty bad too debs
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Was I right to ignore the possibilty of a bigger overpair?:
    yours is pretty bad too debs
    Posted by grantorino
    Thnx mate , ya know spur of the mo thing , thought he was tryin to nick it , i believe him now tho , hey ho thats poker ;)))
  • edited September 2011
    I dunno at nl4 about the use of the donk bet, genuinely don't know......

To donk bet u would need reads, on what he opens with, how likely he is to raise ur donk bet as a bluff, float the flop, cbet his air etc etc etc.

All too complicated, at nl4 anyway.

I'd go with the pot control line as above, if I see him check behind at any point in the hand, I'd lead the next street. 
  • edited September 2011
    Well thanks for your frank replies...

At these levels you do get alot of passive players so if I check the flop and he checks behind am I not missing out on value from 9x hands?

But yeah I think the turn was the major mistake, can't really argue with that.
  • edited September 2011
    Well thanks for your frank replies... At these levels you do get alot of passive players so if I check the flop and he checks behind am I not missing out on value from 9x hands? But yeah I think the turn was the major mistake, can't really argue with that.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes, but 

1) Other than Pocket 9s, how many 9x hands could he have.

2) How many 9x hands can he have, that he doesn't c bet?
  • edited September 2011
    Ok fair point. Definitely keep these thoughts in mind for when I flop boards like this with an overpair in future.

I replied to your PM by the way... have you checked it when drunk and forgot about it again?
  • edited September 2011

OP - reraise pre flop

as played i think it is almost impossible to get away from the overpair at nl4 as im assuming stacking off with top pair is common.

• edited September 2011
    OP - reraise pre flop as played i think it is almost impossible to get away from the overpair at nl4 as im assuming stacking off with top pair is common.
    Posted by huuuuume
    I didn't re-raise pre because with 1010 I'm basically set-mining because too often flops will come when I don't hit my set and there's overcards and I'll just check fold. I don't see the point in taking any other line at this level.
  • edited September 2011
    Well thanks for your frank replies... At these levels you do get alot of passive players so if I check the flop and he checks behind am I not missing out on value from 9x hands? But yeah I think the turn was the major mistake, can't really argue with that.
    Posted by Lambert180
    How many 9x hands does average 4NL open 5x utg? Of these how many do you think he checks behind, given he raised pre?

Dont like the donk, it allows him fold most worse hands and if he raises it sucks (although I assume you were happy getting it in?)

EDIT: Just see doh beat me to it
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Was I right to ignore the possibilty of a bigger overpair? : How many 9x hands does average 4NL open 5x utg? Of these how many do you think he checks behind, given he raised pre? Dont like the donk, it allows him fold most worse hands and if he raises it sucks (although I assume you were happy getting it in?) EDIT: Just see doh beat me to it
    Posted by grantorino
    Yeah Doh has pointed out the same points as you and unsurprisingly I was wrong lol... yes his range has very little in it that I'm beating. Rubbish players never make it 5x and I can't see a good player making it 5x with any 9 other than 99 so yeah.

Yeah on the flop, I'm happy getting it in.
  • edited September 2011
    OP - reraise pre flop as played i think it is almost impossible to get away from the overpair at nl4 as im assuming stacking off with top pair is common.
    Posted by huuuuume
    reraising TT here not great readless at 4NL imo.

Also while it may be ok to stack off that doesnt mean you should stack off in a way that narrows the range of worse hands that can call almost as much as is possible
  • edited September 2011
    there is a lot more value to 10 10 than just a set mine so a reraise pre flop allows you to get value from weaker hands (unless villain is folding AJ type hands pre flop)

also, you havent played this in anyway which suggests you are set mining.  when you miss a set when you are set mining do you regularly lead flop and shove turn?

a reraise pre will allow you to have much more info and can held narrow the range of hands you put your opponent on.

in the hand posted re raising pre would have saved you money as it is not difficult to get away from 10 10 if villain reraises you here.
  • edited September 2011
    there is a lot more value to 10 10 than just a set mine so a reraise pre flop allows you to get value from weaker hands (unless villain is folding AJ type hands pre flop) also, you havent played this in anyway which suggests you are set mining.  when you miss a set when you are set mining do you regularly lead flop and shove turn? a reraise pre will allow you to have much more info and can held narrow the range of hands you put your opponent on. in the hand posted re raising pre would have saved you money as it is not difficult to get away from 10 10 if villain reraises you here.
    Posted by huuuuume
    Do you play much 4NL? Personally I only like 1010 as a set mine because it's basically all about betting for maximum value at these levels and when an overcard comes (which it will do a very high % of the time) i have to check fold.

No I don't normally play like this on a set mine. A few seconds of lacking in discipline lead me to deviate from my normal game and get overattached to me having an overpair to the board. I disagree with re-raising TT pre because a very high % of the time, I'm just check/folding the flop and when I do manage to hit my 10, it's not hard to build a quick pot at these levels because people call off light.

The fact that raising would have saved me money in this one hand does not mean it's the most profitable way to play long term. Also, what if he flat calls with AK or AQ or JJ or AJ, what have I learnt?
  • edited September 2011
    at 4nl if he flats your reraise you have learnt he doesnt have JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK. this is good information to have and will make playing your hand a lot easier

i never play 4nl but surely people at this level are raising pre flop with some hands in the range of 22-99 and suited Ax type hands?????

dont they raise with suited connectors?

with the hand you have posted you seem to have undervalued your 10 10 pre flop then overvalued it post flop.

• edited September 2011
    out of interest how would you play JJ in the same spot?
  • edited September 2011
    at 4nl if he flats your reraise you have learnt he doesnt have JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK. this is good information to have and will make playing your hand a lot easier i never play 4nl but surely people at this level are raising pre flop with some hands in the range of 22-99 and suited Ax type hands????? dont they raise with suited connectors? with the hand you have posted you seem to have undervalued your 10 10 pre flop then overvalued it post flop.
    Posted by huuuuume
    Well it really depends if it's a REG or not, but for most tables at 4NL the ratio is about 4/5fish to 1/2regs. Good regs at this level are raising only with premium hands and they're bringing it in for 5X min because everyone else is limping and min-raising with complete junk and I do mean complete junk. I recently did a big 3bet pre with AA against one guy and he re-shoved (when there was no hope of me folding stackwise) with K2 off. It's a goldmine really if you've got the time to grind away and can play ALOT of tables.

I just played this one hand really badly basically. I don't think I really undervalued it pre but I deffo overvalued it post.
  • edited September 2011
    out of interest how would you play JJ in the same spot?
    Posted by huuuuume
    Cant speak for lambert obv BUT in my similar posted hand 10 10 and JJ imo are pretty much the same , MY mistake is i shoulda reraised pre and i may have got a reply that tells me to fold , but if its flatted by oppo i prob still lose my stack in the same way xx
  • edited September 2011
    To be honest, I probably play JJ the same.
  • edited September 2011

im not familiar with 4nl at all but it sounds like decent players are just sitting waiting for massive hands knowing they will get called.  you will have to adjust this as you move up the limits though as you will be looking to push smaller edges than just assuming people will stack easily to you

like you said the hand posted looks like a mistake.  still think its hard to fold though with the info you have during the hand.

• edited September 2011
    Oh yeah, I definitely agree Huuuuume, I'll definitely be changing things up at higher levels but at this level where there are so many limp/callers and people who will happily stack off with 2nd pair, then the best way is to wait for your premiums like AK, then if you hit the flop, bet between 75-100% of the pot on all streets.

Sometimes it can get a bit monotonous but it's a fairly easy way to build myself a BR where I can take shots at higher levels.
  • edited September 2011

I dont like 3betting TT readless against an UTG open, esp at 4NL. I'm not familiar with ranges, but I would think they dont auto raise Arag, suited connectors or very small pairs, and they will prob fold these to 3bets, apart from maybe the pairs. If they 4bet it sucks, but I'm not sure we can really 3b/f a hand as strong as TT readless. Also if they flat postflop may well be awkward readless as well, even ip, doubt we can rule out bigger pairs. I agree if we flat pre though we shouldnt just be setmining.

Lambert, I really think you played the hand in a manner which minimised the value you could get from worse hands with the overbet leads, seems to me like you just valuetown yourself too often with this line and make worse hands fold lots

• edited September 2011
    Yeah I totally agree with you grantorino. I've now been discussing and thinking about this hand for probably far logner than necessary and I have no arguements that it was played very badly. Took a while to reply because I'm 4tabling now but yeah, I've definitely taken all your comments on board and will definitely be playing these situations very differently in future. In fact an almost identical situation came up in this session when I flatted a raise pre with TT and there was no overcard to the board, played it your way this time.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • edited September 2011
    at 4nl if he flats your reraise you have learnt he doesnt have JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK. this is good information to have and will make playing your hand a lot easier i never play 4nl but surely people at this level are raising pre flop with some hands in the range of 22-99 and suited Ax type hands????? dont they raise with suited connectors? with the hand you have posted you seem to have undervalued your 10 10 pre flop then overvalued it post flop.
    Posted by huuuuume

That's the thing. Generally players limp in with their entire range. I've had KQ on the button, raised and hit a dry king high flop only to find that the cut-off had limp called with AK. Open raises are so rare that they are genearlly only made by regs that know what they are doing and it's best to avoid calling them unless you have a strong hand
  • edited September 2011
    Seems to me like you hanged yourself, not sure how often you will do this but, just from previous posts I've read from you, you haven't taken onboard bet sizing advice and are desperate to play for stacks far too often.

Overbetting that flop will scare off all hands that you are beating other then 9x type hands and general noobs that have no clue how to play. Overpairs to the board are not the nuts.

It may only be 4nl but you still need to think what hand range is going to call an overbet donk lead and the answer is generally always going to be a strong hand since the opponent will usually assume that another bet will happen.