You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DRUG CHEATS IN FOOTBALL

edited September 2011 in The Shed
I had a lively discussion with a friend last night on this subject.

In most other sports, competitors are regularly found using performance enhancing or recreational drugs.

In football how many players have been found guilty or even accused ?

Why is this ?

Comments

• edited September 2011

To be a professional footballer you need a lot of skill (although i sometimes doubt this myself watching Northampton week in week out), so taking performance enhancing drugs isn't going to make you control the ball better or become better at shooting.

The majority of the sports where there are lots of drugs cheats, require strength and stamina. Eg athletics and cycling.

• edited September 2011
    Maybe because they all cheat in other ways - Diving, tripping, hand of godding etc!
    Also its like snooker, darts etc, they all require skill more than physical prowess, footballers are more likely to fall foul if they use ''recreational drugs'' however if you are refering to a comparison with athletics, then the answer is simple, athletics have a far wider range of banned or prohibited drugs on their list, many drugs that footballers take quite legally would get a sprinter banned, even many cough and flu medicines would get you a ban in athletics.
  • edited September 2011
    There obviously is testing, as there have been bans - Ferdinand & Toure. If FA was covering up, why did those 2 slip through?
  • edited September 2011
    I didnt have a positive view on this until a friend brought up the subject.

But having read up a little, I now have my doubts.

Ferdinand... forgot about drug test !

Toure.... wifes slimming pills !

Kenny.....cold cure !

The only high profile definite one was Mutu for coke. (wont let me type c*caine!)

The FA have twice announced crackdowns in recent years, but in their own statements say their priority is to rehabilitate the player and to protect the reputation and integrity of the game.

The Italian FA did crackdown and in a very short space of time had 17 positive tests for nandrolone including high profile players like Edgar Davids (and a further 40 borderline cases)

A top Premiership player says that he has never been tested in 7 years, while another says that the testers would come to the training ground, having prewarned the club. Usually a handful of players would be excused training that day !

So I have my doubts,particularly thinking that even sports like snooker and darts have had drug controversies. I dont believe they are by any means catching all the cheats in cycling or athletics.

Tennis had Hingis done for coke, even a top golfer admitted taking a substance to master the yips.