You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this the correct play?

H0oIKiiE Small blind  3000.00 3000.00 30631.25
MADPATDOTC Big blind  6000.00 9000.00 60837.50
  Your hole cards

anglerfish All-in  77747.50 86747.50 0.00
taff1965 Fold     
lyonsbob06 Fold     
H0oIKiiE All-in  30631.25 117378.75 0.00
MADPATDOTC Fold     
Flop

• K

Turn

• A

River

H0oIKiiE Show

anglerfish Show
  • Q
  • Q

anglerfish Win Pair of Queens 117378.75  117378.75

It was in last nights open... and i called really not exspecting angler to push with an over pair..... ideas?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Time was running very short for you, by only having 5 bb left and a big increase in blinds no doubt due soon, you needed to find cards to push with.

Unfortunately on this occassion so did someone else first.

The other player only had 12 x bb and queens often are a hand where you dont want to let anyone in cheaply with a rag ace.

The queens all in, I like to think was more than O.K. as there are only 2 hands they would be seriously worried about. (also ace king but that would be a race) anything else and they are in command.

Unfortunately with the 7's, after an all in, the best you could normally hope for is to be racing, something, I try not to put my life on if I can help it.

That is the advantage of getting your chips in on an unopened pot, if someone else has got a monster then so be it.

Like I say though, with only 5 x bb left, it is unlikely you will get much of a better hand soon and no doubt, I have done exactly the same on more than one occassion previously as would I say most of the site.
  • edited October 2009

SORRY BUT CALLING AN ALL IN WITH 77 YOUVE GOT HALF THE PACK AGAINST YOU. FORGET THE FACT THEY HAD QUEENS OF THE 5 CARDS THAT CAME OUT THEY BEAT YOU WITH 4 OF THEM.

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Was this the correct play?:
    Time was running very short for you, by only having 5 bb left and a big increase in blinds no doubt due soon, you needed to find cards to push with. Unfortunately on this occassion so did someone else first. The other player only had 12 x bb and queens often are a hand where you dont want to let anyone in cheaply with a rag ace. The queens all in, I like to think was more than O.K. as there are only 2 hands they would be seriously worried about. (also ace king but that would be a race) anything else and they are in command. Unfortunately with the 7's, after an all in, the best you could normally hope for is to be racing, something, I try not to put my life on if I can help it. That is the advantage of getting your chips in on an unopened pot, if someone else has got a monster then so be it. Like I say though, with only 5 x bb left, it is unlikely you will get much of a better hand soon and no doubt, I have done exactly the same on more than one occassion previously as would I say most of the site.
    Posted by Hale72
    i guess your right there, i was exspecting a race... at the end of the day i should have been more patient...your thoughts are really helpfull :D
  • edited October 2009
    I must have to admit here, im caught up in a dilema, am i getting bullied, do they have a hand, is my 7's as good as theirs (they may push with a lower pair in hope of avoiding callers) and so on.

After thinking, i would likley have came to the same conclusion and call.
  • edited October 2009
    It pretty much depends on your impression of anglerfish at the time but you can be pretty certain that you are racing at best so I think a definite fold.
    You are on the SB so you should have better spots available later.
    That's not to say that in the heat of battle that I wouldn't have called too, though - it's hard to put a pair down in the Open at times!

• edited October 2009
    Some really smart answers to this question already, but the one thing I would add is that this shows the problem of letting yourself get to 5xBBs. If you've just taken a hit and lost a pot which has put you on 5 x BBs then that's one thing, but if you're folding and getting as low as this, it shows how tricky situations like this can become. :P 

Personally - and I do expect a little flaming for this - I would fold. I am MUCH happier pushing than I am calling, and as they say you need a much stronger hand to call a raise than to make it yourself. With 77 you're probably looking at one of three situations:

1) They have overcards and you're racing. Fine. We want a race at this stage to give ourselves a chance of a decent cash, imo.

2) They have an overpair. We can't always worry that they have an overpair, but with 77 it's more likely they have an overpair than an underpair. You're drawing to 2 outs and you've still got players behind you to act and no fold equity. Bleh.

3) They have an underpair. Get out the party poppers and dodgy disco tunes, chuck a party and hope you hold up ;)

They might be shoving with Ax where the x is a rag, but I think that's quite a slim shot. It's a toughie and one of those spots where it feels like you can't really do anything right. 
  • edited October 2009
    You're either a small favourite (against overcards) or a massive dog (against an overpair). With zero fold equity, this really is an easy fold - I think some of the answers above are complicating the issue.

You're on the button next - shove before your next big blind with any hand when there has been no action before you.