You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Messy spot on FT of Live £50 FO, holding flush and straight draws, pot stuck at turn.

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i know i would bottle it and C/C a reasonable sized bet. This being said i would like to see a shove here.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Playing a £50 live FO last night.  10k starting stack, 24min blinds.  68 runners, go to FT with significant chip lead, pretty sick heater throughout.

Anywho top 3 prizes are well worth winning, table has opted for deal to pay buy in back to 10th, 9th and 8th so we get 7 handed pretty quick, shorties just getting it in once deal has been made..

Blinds at 2k/4k with 400ante.  I have around 210k next largest stack is around 110k.  Pretty good reads on opponents.  Second largest stack is a bit of a knit.  Raises from the HJ, range being A9 upwards.  Am in the BB and have already decided to flat any two to pick it up on most flops.  Opponent has a pretty tight range and c/f's most flops when missing, maybe calling one barrell when missing.  2 barrels on barren board gets job down huge portion of time.  My image is fairly solid, but have been picking up a lot of pots uncontested in position.

Anywho the hand:  Rocky player makes it 12k from the HJ with maybe 98kish behind.  Was planning to call blind but find 4c5c, so would mostly be calling vs an opponent whose range is polarised.  Tempted to 3bet but cant really based on stacks.

29k in pot, flop comes 6c7h2s.  I donk bet 17k feeling strongly it gets job done, but equally am happy with a call.  Against a more active player I'd likely c/c, but between picking it up uncontested here and building a pot am more inclined to get some chips in.  Opponent squirms abit, not loving it but calls.

63k in pot, opponent has 80k behind  6c7h2sAc.  Am now open ended with a draw to a weak flush that is highly likely to be good.  So effectively have 15 clean outs, super unlikely opponent opened 89 or floats 2 clubs off flop.  Can only really put him on Ax or 10's or J's.  As said, pretty polarised.

If i bet I'm definately callking a re shove when opponent holds a solid A (will have to).  If I check, I definately call a bet up to pot, perhaps even end up calling a cold shove....maybe (as I'll have a 1/3 shot to own 50% of chips in play when hitting, but still having an average stack when missing.  But also dont like the idea of calling turn to fold river.  Will end up folding a 150k pot for 50k bet).  So based on this toyed with the idea of just putting him in hoping he does have the 10's/J's or can fold an A he isnt comfortable with.  Guy is second in chips and fairly knitty, has a workable stack and likely wants more equity out of the prize pool than 7th after playing for 7 hours. 

Which line do you opt for?
  • edited September 2011

How much have you played with this guy, these are pretty specific reads. Why do you think his range is polarised, looks more like its just strong to me.

Pre I dont think there is enough value in your hand to call this shallow oop. If you are planning donking nearly all flops as a bluff regardless that may be ok, depending on villain and your image, but the fact you have 45s is almost irrelevant as it just doesnt play well in this spot imo. I know you are going to disagree with me on that

I dont mind making it 30K and folding to a shove pre, but I prob just fold.

Flop I go for c/r even if he checks back we get a free card its not the end of the world.

As played its a tricky spot, I prob go for b/c 

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Messy spot on FT of Live £50 FO, holding flush and straight draws, pot stuck at turn.:
    How much have you played with this guy, these are pretty specific reads. Played a few of these FO's with opponent.  Good sense of his mood on that evening also. Why do you think his range is polarised, looks more like its just strong to me. Trust me, utterly polarised, never really uses position, mostly just plays his hands. Pre I dont think there is enough value in your hand to call this shallow oop. If you are planning donking nearly all flops as a bluff regardless that may be ok, As said had a plan for hand, was never going to be card dependant.  Was always donk betting, unless board comes paint. depending on villain and your image, but the fact you have 45s is almost irrelevant as it just doesnt play well in this spot imo. Again, not playing hand dependant here. I know you are going to disagree with me on that I dont mind making it 30K and folding to a shove pre, but I prob just fold. If I 3bet pre he will be more inclined to re shove.  Giving me zero chance to pick up the pot on streets. Flop I go for c/r even if he checks back we get a free card its not the end of the world. Yeah, maybe should have gone for the free card, but bet had high odds of ending it there, furthar increasing the distance between myself and 2nd biggest stack, plus keeps the momentum of game on myside.  Plus fringe benefit of opponents waryness of raising my blind in future orbits.As played its a tricky spot, I prob go for b/c 
    Posted by grantorino
  • edited September 2011
    Well bluffing to 30K pre is much the same mathwise as flatting and leading 17K as a bluffso I suppose whichever you think gets more folds would be best (didnt notice antes you might need to 3bet slightly bigger pre which makes it trickier). Not sure you can really exploit him much playing thru streets this shallow though. I dont know how likely he is to shove over a 3bet, but doesnt sound like a guy who likes putting it in light v chipleader
  • edited September 2011

Why don't you just ask him how much he has, slowly count it out, say "you like that card don't you" looking at the ace and just put him all in exactly ? If he's as tight as you say he may put you on a set and fold thinking about cashing. Even if he calls you might hit and defo win from there then churn out the "you gotta get lucky to win a tourney" old chestnut. It may seem over aggressive but your fold equity is all you have at that moment and it'll be a good buzz. Worth the risk don't you think ? Better than calling off a reraise just to be in the same old spin up.
    You'll still have a decent stack if it doesn't work out.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Messy spot on FT of Live £50 FO, holding flush and straight draws, pot stuck at turn.:
    Well bluffing to 30K pre is much the same mathwise as flatting and leading 17K as a bluffso I suppose whichever you think gets more folds would be best (didnt notice antes you might need to 3bet slightly bigger pre which makes it trickier). Not sure you can really exploit him much playing thru streets this shallow though. I dont know how likely he is to shove over a 3bet, but doesnt sound like a guy who likes putting it in light v chipleader
    Posted by grantorino
    Mmmmm I hear what your saying but have to admit I really dont like this.  Once I 3 bet I pretty much have to fold to a jam.  Feel like I have a strong edge on opponent and am either going to pick this up on flop/turn, or not lose another chip on a flop that hits his range.  By 3 betting pre I open up the door to the 4bet jam, plus inflate pot to c/f on his board, or have to lead larger on flop to get him off a hand.  When he holds PP's I'm getting 4bet jammed or rejammed on most flops when donking.
  • edited September 2011
    Why don't you just ask him how much he has, slowly count it out, say "you like that card don't you" looking at the ace and just put him all in exactly ? If he's as tight as you say he may put you on a set and fold thinking about cashing. Even if he calls you might hit and defo win from there then churn out the "you gotta get lucky to win a tourney" old chestnut. It may seem over aggressive but your fold equity is all you have at that moment and it'll be a good buzz. Worth the risk don't you think ? Better than calling off a reraise just to be in the same old spin up. You'll still have a decent stack if it doesn't work out.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS

This is one of the three lines I set out.  To be honest though if I were to do that I would do it without the speechplay.  Trust me, all but the very very best give away more information by speaking to their opponent than makes it worthwile.  Its not what you say, its how you say it.  Much better to remain a blank slate.
  • edited September 2011
    Anywho I mulled it over for awhile (which is my tendancy).  Decided he only could really hold 10's through Q's or Ax.  Figure putting him in ends it vs part of his range, but also has a reasonable shot at forcing him to lay down an A that he doest love.  But when called still have around 33%.  Knew I wouldnt fold given pot/stacks if he jammed on me if I checked which was the deciding factor.  If I'm not going to fold, optimum approach is to put decision on him

So simply announced allin after the tank.  Guy hates it.  Havent been snapped so felt like I've made the right bet.  He makes a good read and puts me in the range where I am, connected clubs.  So says on that basis he hates it but has to call, showing A4o.  River bricks, he wins.

Issue then was none of my positional bets got through and ended up 4th.

So do you all hate putting him in here, or happy with the line? its bugged me abit today.  Thoughts appreciated.
  • edited September 2011
    Anywho I mulled it over for awhile (which is my tendancy).  Decided he only could really hold 10's through Q's or Ax.  Figure putting him in ends it vs part of his range, but also has a reasonable shot at forcing him to lay down an A that he doest love.  But when called still have around 33%.  Knew I wouldnt fold given pot/stacks if he jammed on me if I checked which was the deciding factor.  If I'm not going to fold, optimum approach is to put decision on him So simply announced allin after the tank.  Guy hates it.  Havent been snapped so felt like I've made the right bet.  He makes a good read and puts me in the range where I am, connected clubs.  So says on that basis he hates it but has to call, showing A4o.  River bricks, he wins. Issue then was none of my positional bets got through and ended up 4th. So do you all hate putting him in here, or happy with the line? its bugged me abit today.  Thoughts appreciated.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Where did he finish ?
    A-4 os lol.
  • edited September 2011
    Cant really laugh at it as he put me on a clear range before he called.  With a read its a good call.

I never really hang around so dont know if he won.  But with his stack he ought to have.
  • edited September 2011
    Cant really laugh at it as he put me on a clear range before he called.  With a read its a good call. I never really hang around so dont know if he won.  But with his stack he ought to have.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Was laughing cos he called off the donk lead for what reason ? To barrel any turn ? At least you made him squirm.
  • edited September 2011
    ahhh i see.  Perhaps my image wasnt as solid as I thought, or I didnt give him enough credit.  Likely the last part.  Often guilty of that :p

However if he doesnt hit the turn he cant call second barrell.
  • edited September 2011

If he puts you on backdoor clubs, he must have a serious read on you. I prefer b/c to shove (prob makes very little difference though), I doubt he ever folds an A (you had no weak As in his range anyway, and you should have very few As in your range). Tbh I think donking flop looks weak , it would be a weird line with a big hand this shallow, unless you have history that says different.

• edited September 2011
    Donking flop does look weak I agree, but looking at flop I am open ended and I dont neccessarily feel he is paired.  If he raises flop I likely 3bet jam with insurance.  Interested on your views tho grantorino as you have a good handle on how I think.

But look at all the info in regard to picking it up uncontested vs stoic opponent, combined with equity of hand.  Tournamentt stage and opponents equity in prize pool in relation to stacks at table (guestimate since I said he was second in chips).  Obv with different flops I take different lines, but as I'm not folding turn, setting him in seems optimal?  No?

How do you play it from flop if we concede that we do flat pre bud?
  • edited September 2011
    never ever not putting stack in on d turn

my 3bet pre line is prob cos I spew post
  • ybyb
    edited September 2011
    folding pre is by far the best option here imo
  • edited September 2011
    folding pre is by far the best option here imo
    Posted by yb
    Perhaps, but were not always going to be playing ABC or hand dependant with a dominating stack.

Indulge me and tell me what line you take at turn yb :p
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Messy spot on FT of Live £50 FO, holding flush and straight draws, pot stuck at turn. : Perhaps, but were not always going to be playing ABC or hand dependant with a dominating stack. Indulge me and tell me what line you take at turn yb :p
    Posted by AMYBR

with the 'dominating stack' we aren't looking to make massively awful peels oop with shallow stacks and a super pants hand. 3bFold if you think'll hell respect your stack or just fold pre. Once you continue with 5 high and have the world draw on the turn why is there a decision?!

also you should never call turn fold river. just bet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Messy spot on FT of Live £50 FO, holding flush and straight draws, pot stuck at turn. : with the 'dominating stack' we aren't looking to make massively awful peels oop with shallow stacks and a super pants hand. 3bFold if you think'll hell respect your stack or just fold pre. I think he'd be more inclined to 4bet jam pre.  So we all really hate the peel to take it away post on streets vs polarised opponent then? Once you continue with 5 high and have the world draw on the turn why is there a decision?! also you should never call turn fold river. just bet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldnt, hence why I put him in.
    Posted by beaneh
    I wouldnt, hence why I put him in.