You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call or Raise here?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Player is REG plays 2 tables, one hand flatted 3x raise pre w/10's and called bet on J high flop.
x Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £12.85
pwazza Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £5.83
  Your hole cards

Dudeskin8 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £15.02
super_fly Fold        
MrPirate Fold        
x Call   £0.25 £0.70 £12.60
pwazza Fold        
Flop

• K
  • K

x Check        
Dudeskin8 Bet   £0.30 £1.00 £14.72
x Call   £0.30 £1.30 £12.30
Turn

x Check        
Dudeskin8 Bet   £0.98 £2.28 £13.74
x Raise   £1.96 £4.24 £10.34
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited September 2011
    min raise he got K.
  • edited September 2011
    bet flop and turn bigger

with your lack of reads I'm raising
  • edited September 2011
    prob raise enough to get it all in on river i suppose, yeah, what he said!
  • edited September 2011
    Agree, need to bet an amount that makes it impossible for him to fold a jam on river.  He has a K or 8's.  If he has K10/K8 your going broke in anycase. 
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise here?:
    Agree, need to bet an amount that makes it impossible for him to fold a jam on river.  He has a K or 8's.  If he has K10/K8 your going broke in anycase. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yeah but without making it too obvious. You cant call incase diamond hits river and he's scared of flush with trip K's.
    You bet and he raised big, just click back after bit of dwellage and hopefully he does same again. If he's bluffing he will fold anyway. Hopefully he will jam with K-J/Q.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise here? : Yeah but without making it too obvious. You cant call incase diamond hits river and he's scared of flush with trip K's. You bet and he raised big, just click back after bit of dwellage and hopefully he does same again. If he's bluffing he will fold anyway. Hopefully he will jam with K-J/Q.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    Clicking it back isnt a big enough raise to make river an easy shove and it also looks stronger than a bigger raise imo. Also if he is bluffing,calling is obv best line as he may fire river
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise here? : Clicking it back isnt a big enough raise to make river an easy shove and it also looks stronger than a bigger raise imo. Also if he is bluffing,calling is obv best line as he may fire river
    Posted by grantorino
    It's the most polarised board ever.  If someone raised it big it looks stronger to me. Personally i would fold K-Q/J to big raise. Clicking back may inspire the same response as before. Could be scared fd semi bluff ? At least get call and not fold ?
    There is no certain way i suppose to guarantee the all in which you want. Opponent dependant. Not saying you are wrong tho.
  • edited September 2011
    I 3bet to 4.7 - 5.2 knowing if i get called here rest goes in on river.  The re click back here doesnt seem right to me.  Your kind of isolating your range and playing your hand face up in some ways.  The stronger bet is always going to look weaker than the click.  If he's bluffing with the click back he'll most likely c/f river once called, but will be far more inclined to get his stack in on this street with the 4bet jam.  Pretty sure he has a hand that he wonr fold.  May even be a cooler and stronger than you at turn.  But he's asking for action, in a spot where your hand is concealed, so give it to him.
  • edited September 2011
    you gotta raise here what are you worried about :s
    If he got quads then hey ho better FH :)(
    You gotta go for max value from a Kx hand

Just a cooler m8

raiae to about £4.80
  • edited September 2011
    you gotta raise here what are you worried about :s If he got quads then hey ho better FH :)( You gotta go for max value from a Kx hand Just a cooler m8 raiae to about £4.80
    Posted by rancid
    LOLz it's pretty bloody obvious I'm not folding jesus.....
  • edited September 2011
    I 3bet to 4.7 - 5.2 knowing if i get called here rest goes in on river.  The re click back here doesnt seem right to me.  Your kind of isolating your range and playing your hand face up in some ways.  The stronger bet is always going to look weaker than the click.  If he's bluffing with the click back he'll most likely c/f river once called, but will be far more inclined to get his stack in on this street with the 4bet jam.  Pretty sure he has a hand that he wonr fold.  May even be a cooler and stronger than you at turn.  But he's asking for action, in a spot where your hand is concealed, so give it to him.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I was looking for someone to convince me. This always seemed counterintuitive to me and maybe a long-term leak in my game. I'll make more effort in this area. It doesn't have to work as often as the value bets to be profitable i guess.
    It's still hard to believe that people don't think the same way.
    I need to jam rivers with big hands more maybe too. I have conditioned myself to be afraid of losing value and perhaps am too subtle.
    Thanks for your views man. I'll try*  to get back to you in a month or so with results. *(if i remember. middle-age is punishing me in this area :s  post-it note on monitor BET HARDER YOU DITZOID !!! )
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise here? : I was looking for someone to convince me. This always seemed counterintuitive to me and maybe a long-term leak in my game. I'll make more effort in this area. It doesn't have to work as often as the value bets to be profitable i guess. It's still hard to believe that people don't think the same way. I need to jam rivers with big hands more maybe too. I have conditioned myself to be afraid of losing value and perhaps am too subtle. Thanks for your views man. I'll try*  to get back to you in a month or so with results. *(if i remember. middle-age is punishing me in this area :s  post-it note on monitor BET HARDER YOU DITZOID !!! )
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    If you raise turn here it looks really strong regardless of sizing. Also we have a monster so we want to get our stack in by river, therefore Im going to size my betting in a way that doesnt require me to bet massive on the river if he flats

Its not true that a smaller raise looks stronger than a bigger one , but both look so strong here I'm raising bigger because I doubt it affects his continuing range much and it makes it easier get stacks over the line
  • edited September 2011

i'm always 3b readless - you want all his chips, don't raise too much though, i'd literally make it like £4.20 or something - makes river shove easy if called and let him believe he has fe for a turn shove

• edited September 2011
    i like a call here in possition, giving him rope if hes bluffing since he aint reppin much! if he has the K its going all in on the river no matter what...

• edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011

I prob make anyfin between £5 to £6 on turn basically half his stack most ppl will just ship it if they have the king and they way he has played it i think defo he has .also a question would anyone consider just moving allin here on the turn when he raises does it look weak or strong by doing this?

• edited September 2011
    "RAISE IT UP, a little bit......."

4.20 total is good.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah i agree with the £4.20-£4.60 range ya gotta be lookin to get him totally commited no matter what the river card is
  • edited September 2011
    Well did raise and amzingly they folded, would have killed to know what they had lol
    x Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £12.85
    pwazza Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £5.83
      Your hole cards

Dudeskin8 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £15.02
    super_fly Fold        
    MrPirate Fold        
    x Call   £0.25 £0.70 £12.60
    pwazza Fold        
    Flop

• K
    • K

x Check        
    Dudeskin8 Bet   £0.30 £1.00 £14.72
    x Call   £0.30 £1.30 £12.30
    Turn

x Check        
    Dudeskin8 Bet   £0.98 £2.28 £13.74
    x Raise   £1.96 £4.24 £10.34
    Dudeskin8 Raise   £4.80 £9.04 £8.94
    x Fold        
    Dudeskin8 Muck        
    Dudeskin8 Win   £4.82   £13.76
    Dudeskin8 Return   £3.82 £0.40 £17.58
  • edited September 2011
    He had air, or a pocket pair that he either decided to turn into a bluff or more likely a pocket pair he raised to "see where he was"