You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Value shove or check back river?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
11 hands in, dude was 3b 71% or something, so v v v likely he's tilted/3b far too much. usually dude being too aggro pre, translates to postflop also I've found. I feel like he's never checking this river with like AT or whatever so I think I'm good almost always, idk, feels kind of thin, but I think I rep like 77 so well that he shoves alot of his bluffs on the river, so checking makes me think he has lik KQ, or some such a tonne and might call. Thoughts?

***** Hand History for Game 10867417459 *****
$50 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Thursday, September 08, 21:30:39 EDT 2011
Table Heads Up #2409577 (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 2/2 
Seat 1: Dramborleg ( $53.10 USD )
Seat 2: belikovsd ( $50.50 USD )
Dramborleg posts small blind [$0.25 USD].
belikovsd posts big blind [$0.50 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Dramborleg [  6h Ac ]
Dramborleg raises [$1.25 USD]
belikovsd raises [$4.50 USD]
Dramborleg raises [$10 USD]
belikovsd calls [$6.50 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2d, 9h, Ah ]
belikovsd checks
Dramborleg checks
** Dealing Turn ** [ Js ]
belikovsd bets [$16.50 USD]
Dramborleg will be using his time bank for this hand. (timed down like 10 sec of time bank to rep like 66-77 etc)
Dramborleg calls [$16.50 USD]
** Dealing River ** [ Kd ]
belikovsd checks
Dramborleg will be using his time bank for this hand.
Dramborleg is all-In  [$25.10 USD]

Comments

• edited September 2011
    This is HU which ok is not my best, i can beat em but usually comes down to a coin flip lol, anyways in my oppinion the shove is a bit OTT on top pair low kicker, he could have a better ace, he could be fishing for his flush, he could have 2 pair, he could have nothing, you would want to avoid a trap if you think he is capable of trapping you like this so i would of just checked the river if i win, ive got a good ammount of money, if i lose i havent risked it all to find out
  • edited September 2011
    Think you've got the best hand almost always, but don't see many worse hands he can call with, if any.

I wanna shove, but he's just gonna snap fold or call with better. Obv rather see his cards early in the match than have him muck them, so check behind knowing you've got the pot and the info. 
  • edited September 2011

I'd imagine your good a nice % of the time but I think I'd rather follow dohx7s line and take the pot and the info. Wouldn't suprise me if villian has a weak ace himself.

• edited September 2011
    We think he flat's a 4b with like A3s etc?

And Sillymuch, how would him having a missed FD affect our decision?

I don't hate doing things for info in some cases early on, but I think I I shove and he snap folds thats kind of indicitive that he had a missed FD/Air, If he tank fold's he prob had like KQ right? So I think we get almost as much info by his decision vs the shove as we do by actually seeing his cards in this exact spot.
  • edited September 2011
    meh, I think its fine
  • edited September 2011
    Well you say hes 3 betting a lot / maybe tilted, so he could potentially be calling that wide, I don't think he is folding an ace pre flop anyway.

However looking at it again, it kinda seems standard bluff trying to take pot down after you've checked flop. Kinda wierd if villians checking river with a set or 2 pairs then my mind would be blown.

Did you get a call?
  • ybyb
    edited September 2011
    yeah i think i'd shove

the only reason why i might not is that your postflop line looks pretty strong on that kinda board when you shove the river as you'd be betting that flop with a lot of your 4b bluffing hands i'd think, but as he's possibly tilting i think betting is good.
  • edited September 2011
    Called with KTo

and very good points yb, had not considered that 
  • edited September 2011
    loving some of the calls you get lol !
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Value shove or check back river?:
    Think you've got the best hand almost always, but don't see many worse hands he can call with, if any. I wanna shove, but he's just gonna snap fold or call with better. Obv rather see his cards early in the match than have him muck them, so check behind knowing you've got the pot and the info. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    What about the fact that by calling you are also letting him see your cards and getting info on you? Surely winning a pot with no info give/taken would be better, unless you are completely sure you are better at notemaking.