You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Technically right play, but am sure it was wrong dynamic wise. Honest thought appreciated.

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Played 180 seater Live event today.  Had the pleasure of sitting next to a fellow sky forum contributor which was great.

Have had a tricky stack for the last 25 players but pick some spots and get down to last 3.

Blinds are 10k/20k.  I've worked my stack up to 240k.  LAG is sat on my left with maybe 400k.  Spewbox is sat on my right with 250k.

Am in a tricky spot as the LAG wont fold pre.  Am not happy raising from the SB to build a pot up to 90k (once he flats an open of 45k/55k) with junk pre to have to c/f to his wide range.

The spew box is making it up from the SB preventing me from any walks.  Then refusing to fold any draws.  So my hand has to win at showdown vs either opponent, or be won pre.

Have 12 BB's.  Find As 4s on the button (3handed).  BB is a fool and checks his hole cards before any action and I know he likes his hand.  Also, significantly, he doesnt realise how mich I have.  I know this from a hand or to ago when I ask for a count and he says "more than you".  Which in actuality he doesnt.  He has higher denomination but lower in overall stacksize total.I'm always going to ponder.  But figure I'm losing so much equity vs having to walk BB 2/3 and winning at showdown vs SB (when BB) that I have to jam the A4 with 12 BB's.  Which I have to.

But equally, skillwise I had a huge edge over these two opponents.  Knowing there is a reasonable likelyhood that BB calls a jam (with worse KQ KJ all the paint 10's) how do we feel about the jam, as apposed to using the skill edge to at least go for 2nd?

(Bloody tool called with Js9s for his whole stack, like snap call......). - Hitting a J.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Technically right play, but am sure it was wrong dynamic wise. Honest thought appreciated.:
    Played 180 seater Live event today.  Had the pleasure of sitting next to a fellow sky forum contributor which was great. Have had a tricky stack for the last 25 players but pick some spots and get down to last 3. Blinds are 10k/20k.  I've worked my stack up to 240k.  LAG is sat on my left with maybe 400k.  Spewbox is sat on my right with 250k. Am in a tricky spot as the LAG wont fold pre.  Am not happy raising the SB to build a pot up to 90k (once he flats an open of 45k/55k) with junk pre to have to c/f to his wide range. The spew box is making it up from the SB preventing me from any walks.  Then refusing to fold any draws.  So my hand has to win at showdown vs either opponent, or be won pre. Have 12 BB's.  Find As 4s on the button (3handed).  BB is a fool and checks his hole cards before any action and I know he likes his hand.  Also, significantly, he doesnt realise how mich I have.  I know this from a hand or to ago when I ask for a count and he says "more than you".  Which in actuality he doesnt.  He has higher denomination but lower in overall stacksize total.I'm always going to ponder.  But figure I'm losing so much equity vs having to walk BB 2/3 and winning at showdown vs SB (when BB) that I have to jam the A4 with 12 BB's.  Which I have to. But equally, skillwise I had a huge edge over these two opponents.  Knowing there is a reasonable likelyhood that BB calls a jam (with worse KQ KJ all the paint 10's) how do we feel about the jam, as apposed to using the skill edge to at least go for 2nd? (Bloody tool called with Js9s for his whole stack, like snap call......). - Hitting a J.
    Posted by AMYBR
    You know I'm not claiming to be a poker mastermind but you asked me to comment.

I think you've answered your own question. If you think he's liking his hand why shove with A4? You're not even close to hoping to be better than 70/30 at best? Personally I despise ragged Aces at any stage of anything other than HU and rarely if ever play them. I'd rather shove with almost anything else if I thought I was getting called.

But you're 3 handed and an A is big. Don't think you did much wrong other than ignoring your read. That short stacked you just need to get lucky.

That's my take on it. Probably wrong.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Technically right play, but am sure it was wrong dynamic wise. Honest thought appreciated.:
    In Response to Technically right play, but am sure it was wrong dynamic wise. Honest thought appreciated. : You know I'm not claiming to be a poker mastermind but you asked me to comment. I think you've answered your own question. If you think he's liking his hand why shove with A4? You're not even close to hoping to be better than 70/30 at best? Personally I despise ragged Aces at any stage of anything other than HU and rarely if ever play them. I'd rather shove with almost anything else if I thought I was getting called. But you're 3 handed and an A is big. Don't think you did much wrong other than ignoring your read. That short stacked you just need to get lucky. That's my take on it. Probably wrong.
    Posted by bandini
    Completely depends on prize structure for me, what were the payouts?
  • edited September 2011
    I can dig what the Honey Badger has to say here. Is it possible that either or both of the players have you pegged as a superior  and are happy to get it in this light because they know they can't outplay you ? Altho you got unlucky maybe you should view the call as a compliment.
    I don't think folding/ rfing is an option seeing as you only have 12bbs and are in the blinds 2/3 hands. You may not get a better hand for a good few more rounds.
    I can see why you were frustrated tho. Shame it wasn't deeper.
    Anyway i did my best. As i said somewhere else relatively, poker mind-wise, you are The Mekon and i am Wayne Rooney :(    Sorry i can't offer greater insight.
  • edited September 2011
    Nothing hugely significant £120, £300 and £650.  But I disagree, you cant make it about the money.

Have to agree bandini, I shouldnt have ignored the free info I was given.  However, 12BB's caught in a tightspot A4 from the button kind of plays itself 3 handed...with 12BB's.

I feel slightly better about it now I've relaxed, as it was high % plays and solid technical play that got me through the field.  I cant really moan when the donkey putting his whole stack in with J high gets lucky.  63% of the time I win at showdown.  80%+ i pick up the 30k in there without running a board..  So it is theright technical play.

What is annoying me is I didnt use the free information was given, as you say bandini.  Really felt like I had a huge skill edge, perhaps should have used that to take a guarenteed 2nd and worked from there. 

Fact is I'd make the same bet again.  I hold I become chip leader and definately win.  Only running a board vs a donkey there, them holding J high for their tournamet life.

Sick spot on the bubble of this where Daveyzz (from forum) made a rare 4 bet after I'd 2.2xd from UTG.  Forcing me to lay down J's.  Kind of him to show K's :).

Never putting my tournament life on J's on bubble :p
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Technically right play, but am sure it was wrong dynamic wise. Honest thought appreciated.:
    Nothing hugely significant £120, £300 and £650.  But I disagree, you cant make it about the money. Have to agree bandini, I shouldnt have ignored the free info I was given.  However, 12BB's caught in a tightspot A4 from the button kind of plays itself 3 handed...with 12BB's. I feel slightly better about it now I've relaxed, as it was high % plays and solid technical play that got me through the field.  I cant really moan when the donkey putting his whole stack in with J high gets lucky.  63% of the time I win at showdown.  80%+ i pick up the 30k in there without running a board..  So it is theright technical play. What is annoying me is I didnt use the free information was given, as you say bandini.  Really felt like I had a huge skill edge, perhaps should have used that to take a guarenteed 2nd and worked from there.  Fact is I'd make the same bet again.  I hold I become chip leader and definately win.  Only running a board vs a donkey there, them holding J high for their tournamet life. Sick spot on the bubble of this where Daveyzz (from forum) made a rare 4 bet after I'd 2.2xd from UTG.  Forcing me to lay down J's.  Kind of him to show K's :). Never putting my tournament life on J's on bubble :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yip, think you know that you didn't do much wrong.

I'll be honest, that short, I'm shoving every unopened pot, every button and every limp. It's pretty much a shovefest by then and I always want to have my chips in first. Unless they have a big premium they have a tough call, you have fold equity, and you're probably live at worst. It's not poker but 10bb play isn't. Aggression wins more often than it doesn't. You just got unlucky IMHO dude. Might be wrong and there'r far better players on here that might say different and fair enough. I just always ask myself, sort of like christians, "What would ljamesl do?" And he'd have done what you did.
  • edited September 2011
    And, if the A had held, you wouldn't be posting this?

Skills were getting that far. Came down to luck then. You just fell on the wrong side of serindipity's kiss. I've been there a million times.
  • edited September 2011
    This is true.  Still obsessing about this :p  Have done abit of a turn around now and decided this was bad.  Once the donk is gone I can deal for a guarenteed £450 which is fine by me for effective freeroll.

Donk has very low aggro factor, my post flop edge should have been used here.  I cant like anything that calls me here, bar 22/33/A2.

Should have allowed him to make a mistake, which he would have, rather than get it in marginally.  However we can argue him getting his whole stack in with J high is a mistake.....

Results orientated for the win huh? :p
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to:
    And, if the A had held, you wouldn't be posting this? Skills were getting that far. Came down to luck then. You just fell on the wrong side of serindipity's kiss. I've been there a million times.
    Posted by bandini
    ^^ This. ^^
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah i know, cant make up my mind on it though.  As thread says its technically right, but maybe situationally wrong. 

Results orientated just now methinks :p
  • edited September 2011
    Really not sure how you intend to use your skill edge 12BB deep against these players other than by shoving when you should. If him liking his hand means a monster I suppose you could sigh fold, but its a pretty good spot imo

if guy is limping into your bb all the time, start shoving. Also openshove into lags bb instead of raising small given reads