You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AT at NL4 worth playing?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Grinding at NL4 for the past couple of weeks and I'm winning money just by staying out of trouble and playing very ABC poker. I've started to find that KJ, QJ, QT are horrible hands at this level since you just don't know where you are. It's very hard to spot if a player has a better kicker especially when multi-tabling. Since there are plenty of spots to make money without playing these hands I have started either folding them or playing them very carfully.

But what about AT. If you hit a ten-high flop it's hard to find anyone foolish enough to call you. People will call with K2 and then keep calling when they hit a pair of kings. But not even NL4 players will play T2 and think a pair of tens with no kicker is going to be good enough.

Then if you hit your ace... players don't generally re-raise at this level so it's hard to spot when a player has smooth called pre flop with AK or AQ.

It it worth playing AT at this level?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to AT at NL4 worth playing?:
    Grinding at NL4 for the past couple of weeks and I'm winning money just by staying out of trouble and playing very ABC poker. I've started to find that KJ, QJ, QT are horrible hands at this level since you just don't know where you are. It's very hard to spot if a player has a better kicker especially when multi-tabling. Since there are plenty of spots to make money without playing these hands I have started either folding them or playing them very carfully. But what about AT. If you hit a ten-high flop it's hard to find anyone foolish enough to call you. People will call with K2 and then keep calling when they hit a pair of kings. But not even NL4 players will play T2 and think a pair of tens with no kicker is going to be good enough. Then if you hit your ace... players don't generally re-raise at this level so it's hard to spot when a player has smooth called pre flop with AK or AQ. It it worth playing AT at this level?
    Posted by jugglegeek
    I do, but carefully, as you say.  If I hit I might make smaller value bets as the range of hands calling me isn't as dominated by AT as it is by, say, AK, if you get my drift.  This way you tempt in hands that you are beating and don't lose as much when you are behind.

Edit- but only in mid-late position or if it's cheap in the blinds
  • edited September 2011
    LOL jeez I thought my range was narrow, yh I always raised up with A10 at NL4, maybe UTG/UTG+1 you could fold but I don't like it, I'd rather raise as many worse hands WILL call you.

Sometimes they'll call down with better Ace but there are more Aces 9 and below than J and above ;).
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah nothin wrong with A 10 at this level providing ya play the hand properly , as for you sayin KJ QJ Q10 etc gettin you in trouble that still depends on WHEN ure playin the hand , most hands can be played well in the correct dynamic.