You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

played badly? final table of £5 BH

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #413361471 (15:28 12/09/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
NODDYPARRY Small blind   400.00 400.00 17350.00
BIGBOY468 Big blind   800.00 1200.00 6965.00
  Your hole cards

jugglegeek Raise   2000.00 3200.00 25765.00
Candid Fold        
kenmillon All-in   18025.00 21225.00 0.00
NODDYPARRY Fold        
BIGBOY468 Fold        
jugglegeek Call   16025.00 37250.00 9740.00
jugglegeek Show

kenmillon Show
  • K
  • K

Flop

• J

Turn

• A

River

kenmillon Win Flush to the King 37250.00   37250.00

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Five left in the tournement and I have been playing well. I have a good image at the table and have been stealing blinds and making the right calls and re-shoving in the right spots. I have also gotten luck calling a shove with KQ against AQ on a queen high flop and hitting a flush on the turn.

The villian has had plenty of blinds stolen by me but has also push back a few times, I have folded and he has shown big hands. One time he did so with AK.

2.5x has been my standard UTG raise size (2x from other possitions). With 22BB he has the perfect stack-size to re-shove.

Should I have given up if I think his range for doing this is AQ+, 99+. Or am I right to go for the win since a double up now would give me the chip lead and eliminate the player (not to mention the extra head prize)
  • edited September 2011
    Depends how big his head prize is worth. If hes worth quite a lot (like £10) then its obv a call since getting his head is better then the next ladder spot.
  • edited September 2011
    5 left on f/t, pp 10's. Can't see how you could have played it any other way. You've got to play for the win when you're at this stage, and his range makes it almost impossible for you not to call.
  • edited September 2011
    Looks fine, he could easily have have overcards here plus you still have over 10 bigs if you lose.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah standard stuff just ul on this occasion
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks for the comments. I thought I did the right thing and was just unlucky but I went out in a live event last night with queens (I'm on the BB with 12BB average stack is 10BB, early possition uber shorty all in, SB raises to around half my sack and I fist-pump shove with QQ only to get called by AA in the small blind and for a real kick in the groin the shorty had QT)

My play at these stages of MTTs seems to have improved by using the following stratergy.

<10BBs shove anything into an UNOPENED pot and call with any pair, suited connectors, K9+ and A2+

10-20BB Shove into unopened pots with 99+, AJo+, A9s+ and KQs. Min raise from button ATC if pot unopened depending on blinds' stacks. Likely fold if shoved on.

20-30BB min raise with most hands but call if shoved on only with the above range .

I really struggled with these stages of MTTs because I didn't know what to do when I was less than 25BBs deep. I'm starting to work out that the important thing is to take small risks to win small pots often. Not necessarily to wait for moster hands and get busy.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: played badly? final table of £5 BH:
    Thanks for the comments. I thought I did the right thing and was just unlucky but I went out in a live event last night with queens (I'm on the BB with 12BB average stack is 10BB, early possition uber shorty all in, SB raises to around half my sack and I fist-pump shove with QQ only to get called by AA in the small blind and for a real kick in the groin the shorty had QT) My play at these stages of MTTs seems to have improved by using the following stratergy.  <10BBs shove anything into an UNOPENED pot and call with any pair, suited connectors, K9+ and A2+ 10-20BB Shove into unopened pots with 99+, AJo+, A9s+ and KQs. Min raise from button ATC if pot unopened depending on blinds' stacks. Likely fold if shoved on. 20-30BB min raise with most hands but call if shoved on only with the above range . I really struggled with these stages of MTTs because I didn't know what to do when I was less than 25BBs deep. I'm starting to work out that the important thing is to take small risks to win small pots often. Not necessarily to wait for moster hands and get busy.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    I don't think you should really raise fold much with 10-20 bb stack.
  • edited September 2011
    Weird question jugglegeek.  If your playing live do you call here still?

Reason I ask is this is one of my more significant failings online.  You get used to a certain type/level of action.  Its harder to give credit and therefore be more inclined to take a perceived flip.

FWIW I may call here online.  But never live.  Jamming ranges do tend to be tighter though
  • edited September 2011
    Well you are 44% against the range you give villain, and you need 43% to make the call. Taking account of the fact that he may shove wider or bluffshove a small % of time, he has a bounty you can win, prizepool is prob top heavy and you still have 10BB left when you lose I think its a call. If you can steal easily v rest of table and you are sure his shoving range is very narrow you can maybe consider folding